Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How do all the old people know about the smaller movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-05-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it. I've seen Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, and The Reader at matinees over the past two weeks and the theaters are packed with folks that are at least 70 on a good day. I try to stick to matinees to keep away from the teen and asshole crowd, and I'm not complaining, these shows are usually pretty well behaved.

But I haven't seen a single TV commercial for Slumdog or The Reader and only caught a preview for Doubt two or three months ago at another movie. Are the studios somehow actively marketing these films to seniors or something? It seems like the internet is the main means of distribution for trailers and buzz, not really the senior crowd.
Old 01-05-09, 06:12 AM

I've seen lots of TV commercials for Slumdog and Doubt. But either way, all three of these movies are Oscar potentials, so they are talked about a lot on various news programs. I've noticed that most of the Oscar potential movies usually draw more of an older crowd. They probably still think of the glory days of Oscar. Though it would still be a dream to win an Oscar, I think the glamour and true spirit of the Academy Awards has lost its luster. Part of that is probably due to the constant tinkering with it to keep the running time down, other awards shows, and arguably the caliber of movies. This year was a good year for movies, though. I'm actually interested in many of the potentials.

BTW, this probably belongs in the Movie Talk forum, but that's OK. I never checked out that forum, so I'm glad I got to put my two cents in

Last edited by obidawsn; 01-05-09 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
... because they are retired and have nothing to do all day and would rather pay matinee prices than peak hours prices? Maybe they want to keep away from the teen and asshole crowd themselves? Lots of reasons, although I doubt it has anything to do with the movie selections themselves.
Old 01-05-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One of the three theaters I typically frequent is Landmark's Bethesda Row in Bethesda, MD, a wealthy suburb of Washington, DC. The movies you mentioned are all playing there, and that theater is always packed with tony retirees. I assume they find out about the movies playing by either keeping up with the free circulars and trailers provided by the theater, since many of them are regulars, or by reading the reviews/blurbs in the Washington Post and magazines like the New Yorker which many people I know young and old seem to read despite the fact that none of us are New Yorkers.
Old 01-05-09, 08:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
These people were probably seeing arthouse films before you were born, sonny.
Old 01-05-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yup, movie buffs have been around as long as movies.
Old 01-05-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
What a mind-boggling silly topic.

Ever hear of cracking open a newspaper and reading the Arts section?
Old 01-05-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Older folks read newspapers. Movies, stuff like this years Oscar contenders, would all be well-covered in reviews, oscar previews, and ten best list articles. The holidays are traditionally a time when people visit or get together -- and do things like see a movie together.

-comix
Old 01-05-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was because ads for these films were now being printed inside the packaging for Ensure and Caltrate ....
Old 01-05-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
No question, I'm just surprised at how many of them pack the theaters when I see so little advertising.

Again, it's not a complaint or anything, they're obviously very well informed and seeking out well-reviewed movies. The crowds for bigger, less well-reviewed movies is usually much smaller during the day.
Old 01-05-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by BravesMG
I don't get it. I've seen Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt, and The Reader at matinees over the past two weeks and the theaters are packed with folks that are at least 70 on a good day. I try to stick to matinees to keep away from the teen and asshole crowd, and I'm not complaining, these shows are usually pretty well behaved.

But I haven't seen a single TV commercial for Slumdog or The Reader and only caught a preview for Doubt two or three months ago at another movie. Are the studios somehow actively marketing these films to seniors or something? It seems like the internet is the main means of distribution for trailers and buzz, not really the senior crowd.
They advertise the hell out of these movies during the day on TV when advertising is substantially cheaper. During a marathon of I think Bones or Psych or something this past week (while I was off) there were a ton of ads for The Reader and Doubt -- as well as bathtubs you can open the sides to, AARP stuff and life insurance. I see Slumdog Millionaire ads all the time in primetime ("4 stars aren't enough" line gets read, a lot).
Old 01-05-09, 10:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I find, that with my parents, they just GO to the movie theatre, with nothing in mind, and decide on something, usually based on the title/actors, whatever once they are there.
Old 01-05-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not all old people are confined to nursing homes, unfortunately.
Old 01-05-09, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Not all old people are confined to nursing homes, unfortunately.
I prefer the "Carousel" solution myself.
Old 01-05-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I ever get to retire, I plan on finally having the time to watch more movies, listen to more music, and play more video games.

Of course, it'll probably end up like that Twilight Zone episode where I break my glasses when I finally have the time.
Old 01-05-09, 11:20 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
old people: hip despite their bad hips
Old 01-05-09, 11:22 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
If I ever get to retire, I plan on finally having the time to watch more movies, listen to more music, and play more video games.

Of course, it'll probably end up like that Twilight Zone episode where I break my glasses when I finally have the time.
bless your heart for thinking you'll be able to keep up with kids playing Halo 20.
Old 01-05-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
old people have much better tastes than today's teenagers.
Old 01-05-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The same thing they did before the Internet....read the newspaper and watch TV.
Old 01-05-09, 11:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
One of the three theaters I typically frequent is Landmark's Bethesda Row in Bethesda, MD, a wealthy suburb of Washington, DC. The movies you mentioned are all playing there, and that theater is always packed with tony retirees. I assume they find out about the movies playing by either keeping up with the free circulars and trailers provided by the theater, since many of them are regulars, or by reading the reviews/blurbs in the Washington Post and magazines like the New Yorker which many people I know young and old seem to read despite the fact that none of us are New Yorkers.

I was going to say the same thing about the New Yorker, if it's mentioned/reviewed there it's quaranteed that Washingtonians will hear about it (whether or not the smaller indie films will indeed come to DC is another thing) - as for Bethesda Row, it's the chains cash cow, they make money hand over fist there.
Old 01-05-09, 11:34 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silly question, easy answer: Ask them.
Old 01-05-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Newspapers, magazines, and word-of-mouth.
Old 01-05-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
One of the side-effects of seeing films that attract an older crowd is this:

I was watching Frost/Nixon, and in the last 10 minutes where everything was coming to a head, and the audience was basically riveted to the screen at a crucial moment in their interview, an old lady sitting 2 seats from me starting snoring louder and louder, and it took every fiber in my body not to just bust out laughing from the sheer spectacle of the situation.
Old 01-05-09, 11:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
bless your heart for thinking you'll be able to keep up with kids playing Halo 20.
At that age he won't last a minute in the holodeck!
Old 01-05-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
One of the side-effects of seeing films that attract an older crowd is this:

I was watching Frost/Nixon, and in the last 10 minutes where everything was coming to a head, and the audience was basically riveted to the screen at a crucial moment in their interview, an old lady sitting 2 seats from me starting snoring louder and louder, and it took every fiber in my body not to just bust out laughing from the sheer spectacle of the situation.
You do see a few odd things, it's always funny to watch the first loud noise and then watch half the crowd adjust their hearing aids.

I again want to state that I'm not making fun here, God bless anyone for seeking out good movies. It's harder to be frustrated if anyone is loud because it's not malicious like with the backlit cell phones or playing grabass with 10 people in a row. I'm 27 and I feel much more comfortable with the older folks during the day than anybody else.

I'm also surprised to hear that they advertise so heavily during the day. Makes sense though. I also haven't read a newspaper in years, but I assume that is another good way that print advertising still works.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.