Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE Discussion Thread (1/2-1/4) New Year. Same Movies.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-03-09, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the top 4 film will finish in the same placing this weekend of course since not much at all opened.
Pretty cool to see Benjamin Button making over $60 million in its first 8 days. Good news for Fincher and other projects of his that are upcoming.
Also very surprising to see Valkyrie make over $46 million in its first 8 days. Who woulda thunk it?
heres the box office for mon. thru thurs of this week:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...9-01-01&p=.htm
Old 01-09-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: WEEKEND BOX OFFICE Discussion Thread (1/2-1/4) New Year. Same Movies.

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Looks like the top 4 film will finish in the same placing this weekend of course since not much at all opened.
Pretty cool to see Benjamin Button making over $60 million in its first 8 days. Good news for Fincher and other projects of his that are upcoming.
Also very surprising to see Valkyrie make over $46 million in its first 8 days. Who woulda thunk it?
heres the box office for mon. thru thurs of this week:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...9-01-01&p=.htm
"Button" has jumped to the number #1 spot these past two days (Wednesday and Thursday). It's funny how a few people said this would make in the 30-50M range only. And some said "Marley" would bomb. I knew neither would happen. The latter because of the book fanbase alone. Which is huge. And "Button" has not only the Fincher fans, but Pitt and Blanchett. At this rate, it could make in the 100-130M range.
Old 01-09-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only said that because of its length and i didn't think they were gonna open it wide. Also heard it cost about 150 mil to make, true?
theyre saying Gran Torino could pull in 20-25 mil this weekend
Old 01-09-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i only said that because of its length and i didn't think they were gonna open it wide. Also heard it cost about 150 mil to make, true?
theyre saying Gran Torino could pull in 20-25 mil this weekend
Well, I wasn't singling you out. And I don't know how much it cost to make. But given what I've seen from the trailer, that sounds about right. It looks costly. Still, we're talking about gross, not profit. Unless it makes 300M worldwide, it won't make a dime from theater profits of course. But word of mouth is extremely high so I expect it to do extremely well on video too.

About "Torino", I bet it does. Sadly. Because I hated every minute of that film. As I posted in it's thread. And I know I'm in the minority.
Old 01-09-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I don't want to see Gran Torino (Eastwood sounds the same as he did in MDB)at all I think it's WAY-OVERRATTED!
Old 01-09-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
I know I don't want to see Gran Torino (Eastwood sounds the same as he did in MDB)at all I think it's WAY-OVERRATTED!
You think Million Dollar Baby is overrated or Gran Torino, which you haven't seen?
Old 01-09-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will admit I've never been a huge Eastwood fan, or of his movies. But I think it's absurd that the National Board of Review gave him the Best Actor for "Gran Torino" over Sean Penn for "Milk", Frank Langella for "Frost Nixon" and Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler". I've seen all of these films and there is just no way. This is a lifetime and age thing. Eastwood was far far FAR better in "Million Dollar Baby" (which I loved), "The Bridges of Madison County", "A Perfect World" and "Unforgiven". And I would have had no problem him getting recognition over anyone else for those performances. Because I felt he really did shine in all of those performances.
Old 01-09-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I just saw Gran Torino tonight, and while I thought it was a good performance, I don't think it's Best Actor worthy. Any old fart could grunt and make nasty faces for 2 hours and have the same effects.
Old 01-10-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Eastwood was far far FAR better in "Million Dollar Baby" (which I loved), "The Bridges of Madison County", "A Perfect World" and "Unforgiven". And I would have had no problem him getting recognition over anyone else for those performances.
What an underrated effort. Just a year after Unforgiven and not much of any fanfare, yet it's just as good.
Old 01-10-09, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
You think Million Dollar Baby is overrated or Gran Torino, which you haven't seen?
No I love Million Dollar Baby.

I just think that Gran Torino is nothing special ((and I don't want see it at all)).