Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that you only loved one half of

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that you only loved one half of

Old 01-03-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Fight Club. Once Project Mayhem becomes the focus it starts to fall apart. After "the reveal" it's pretty much unwatchable. Sad, because the first half of the movie is really funny and compelling.
I have the same feelings. The movie completely fell to pieces after he starts handing out assignments. It went from a clever commentary on masculinity to being a fictionalized version of jackass.
Old 01-03-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
28 Days Later gets weaker when they get to the military base.
Old 01-03-09, 08:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by slymer
Jeepers Creepers
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Signs
War of the Worlds (Cruise)
Originally Posted by wd40cloud
Vanilla Sky
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
From Dusk Til Dawn
Don't hate the second half, but the first half is definitely much better in these for me.
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
The Happening
First few minutes starts off with potential, but then the last 80% or so is just awful.
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Wall-E
I love all other Pixar films, but here the first half is predictable slapstick humor and characters I could not care less about, and the second half is to heavy-handed in its message to bear.
Originally Posted by wd40cloud
Hancock (very promising until the twist)
Agreed. First half is a solid B or better, but the second half just ruins it.
Old 01-03-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
I'm surprised Stripes hasn't been listed, that is usually one of the top ones in this discussion.
Ahh yes... Stripes is a good one.

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
In all honesty, I don't get why people have a problem with the 2nd half of "From Dusk Till Dawn". I love the entirety of that movie... but oh well.
It's not that the second half doesn't work, it just doesn't work with the first half. The first half gives us this 'brothers on the lam' story which is excellent drama and the second half throws all that out the window for B-movie vampire nonsense and some comedy. Put it this way, they could have left out the vampires altogether and spun the story in a different direction and had a compelling drama and it would have been a far better movie for it. The two halves just don't work together.
Old 01-03-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
It's not that the second half doesn't work, it just doesn't work with the first half. The first half gives us this 'brothers on the lam' story which is excellent drama and the second half throws all that out the window for B-movie vampire nonsense and some comedy. Put it this way, they could have left out the vampires altogether and spun the story in a different direction and had a compelling drama and it would have been a far better movie for it. The two halves just don't work together.
The first half of chock-full of hyperreality and over-the-top hysterics, it's practically a cartoon. (The entire opening as the gas station/mini-mart is ridiculously silly) I don't see how its that incongruous with the second half. Different, yes, but not completely out of tone.
Old 01-03-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts
Wow. 55 posts and no one has mentioned....

Die Another Day.

The first half is pretty darned good. Once the movie hits Iceland it becomes a cartoon (which is unfortunate), but that first half makes it worth owning.
Old 01-03-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm going to get crucified for this one, but No Country For Old Men. Loved the first half, but the second half didn't work for me. I get what they were going for, I just didn't care for it.
Why would you get crucified? I agree with you 100%. The first half is terrific. Full of suspense and great performances. But all that buildup and the 2nd half has the best and most important moments play out offscreen? That's not clever or unconventional. It's lazy and a copout.
Old 01-03-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*Note to filmmakers: Don't wait until halfway through the movie to get to the vampires.
Or I would say: *Note to filmmakers: Don't make movies with vampires in them

Sunshine -- once the former-astronaut/burnt-monster shows up the movie goes to sh*t
Old 01-03-09, 02:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,210 Likes on 857 Posts
not the first "half" as much as the first "act" of World Trade Center. To me, that first act (~20 minutes. right up until the part where the buildings fall) would have been an amazing short film, but the rest of the movie wasn't as good as I had hoped.
Old 01-03-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Wow. 55 posts and no one has mentioned....

Die Another Day.

The first half is pretty darned good. Once the movie hits Iceland it becomes a cartoon (which is unfortunate), but that first half makes it worth owning.
It is amazing that this wasn't one of the first responses, really. It was the first one I thought of when I saw the thread title. My brother would cast another vote for Full Metal Jacket. In fact, when he first showed it to me, he actually stopped it half way through and said the rest of it sucked.

I would also say:
The Lost World: Jurassic Park gets really bad when it leaves Isla Sorna
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - the first half, which addresses the issue of destroying the ring, is great; the second half, which follows every character through the rest of his or her lifetime...not so much.
Old 01-03-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Sunshine -- once the former-astronaut/burnt-monster shows up the movie goes to sh*t
I didn't mind the crispy astronaut but they didn't execute it correctly. If they had docked sooner so that he would have gotten on and caused the fire in the oxygen farm, it would have had a "whodunnit" element. The whole issue with the technician killing himself could have been a guessing game as to whether he did it or if the crispy dude did.

I love the score though.

Die Another Day is just all-around bad for me; the beginning has CGI-surfing and the later has CGI solar beams, with a CGI-camo Jaguar smacked in the middle... all of which were craptastic.
Old 01-03-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another movie for me: Death Proof

This movie kinda drags but when Rosario Dawson's segment starts the movie really picks up.
Old 01-03-09, 09:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Another movie for me: Death Proof

This movie kinda drags but when Rosario Dawson's segment starts the movie really picks up.
Opposite for me. The first part is incredible, great study of a badass serial killer, and even the girl's dialogue in the first half is ok. The second half is abysmal, with lousy dialogue and a great character reduced to a whiny wimp.
Old 01-03-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
Titanic -- once they stop focusing on the shitty romance and start sinking the boat it's pretty damn good.
Very true. Cameron manages to give an event with an obviously known ending the same tension of Aliens and the first two Terminators.
Old 01-04-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by gmanca
Die Another Day is just all-around bad for me; the beginning has CGI-surfing and the later has CGI solar beams, with a CGI-camo Jaguar smacked in the middle... all of which were craptastic.
I hate to tell anyone to re-watch that particular film, but you're off on your chronology. The CGI-surfing actually comes about 3/4 of the way into the film, as it's near the end of the Iceland segment. It actually comes after the CGI solar beams. And it wasn't the Jaguar that had CGI-camo, it was the Aston Martin. Which, incidentally, appeared before either the CGI-surfing or the CGI solar beams...at about half-way through the film. The first half of the film is free of hokey CGI sequences.
Old 01-04-09, 01:42 PM

The Birds is pretty good until the birds show up. The chemistry between Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor is intriguing but then gets totally lost in the ensuing titular mayhem.

And I'm definitely in agreement with WALL-E... first half is a delight, second half is unfortunate silliness.
Old 01-04-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Atonement

First half was great and then I was bored to tears during the second.
Old 01-04-09, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was really enjoying The Prestige for the first half and then it lost me the direction that it went.
Old 01-04-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by albert_m
I was really enjoying The Prestige for the first half and then it lost me the direction that it went.
the direction of awesome?
Old 01-04-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthVong
Full Metal Jacket. First half.
/thread

i can't think of a movie that i enjoyed as much as that in the 1st half and hated as much as i did for the 2nd half.
Old 01-04-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
"Australia" - Hated the first part, the second half was not bad.

"Batman Begins" - Sorry, but I couldn't stand all the training. Just spent too much time on it. The second half, thumbs way up.

"Grindhouse" - "Death Proof" brought the film to a screeching halt.
Old 01-04-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
I didn't mind the crispy astronaut but they didn't execute it correctly. If they had docked sooner so that he would have gotten on and caused the fire in the oxygen farm, it would have had a "whodunnit" element. The whole issue with the technician killing himself could have been a guessing game as to whether he did it or if the crispy dude did.

I love the score though.
While the third act of Sunshine did seem a bit weird, it was the first Danny Boyle film (Millions aside) that I forgave for having a weaker second half. I truly loved the first half of his earlier films, while loathing the latter half:

Trainspotting
A Life Less Ordinary
The Beach
28 Days Later

I'm quite glad he seems to have finally discovered how to complete a story with Slumdog Millionaire!
Old 01-04-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,117 Posts
Originally Posted by doubledown44
Wanted had a really promising first half, then it died in the second half.
Interesting. I'd say the complete opposite. Although I didn't really have a problem with any of it, I'd say the first half was worse. The first ten minutes seemed like a complete ripoff of Fight Club and the training could have been shortened. IMO, once Wesley gets his first assignment the movie turns into nonstop awesome and doesn't look back.

I will however agree with:
Stripes
Full Metal Jacket
Jeepers Creepers - Everything after the police station is garbage.
The Lost World: Jurassic Park - once off the island.
Old 01-04-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A totally thrilling first half with barely any dialogue, and then the film sucks when Tarzan comes to the "real" world.
Old 01-04-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I hate to tell anyone to re-watch that particular film, but you're off on your chronology. The CGI-surfing actually comes about 3/4 of the way into the film, as it's near the end of the Iceland segment. It actually comes after the CGI solar beams. And it wasn't the Jaguar that had CGI-camo, it was the Aston Martin. Which, incidentally, appeared before either the CGI-surfing or the CGI solar beams...at about half-way through the film. The first half of the film is free of hokey CGI sequences.
Gotcha; last time I saw it was in theaters so I got some things mixed up. But there were CGI-solar beams after the CGI-Rocket IceSled scene, when the DMZ is being hit and the cargo plane, with it's own crappy CGI.

And while the beginning/Madonna-singing Intro was good, the segment where "Graves" skydives and has a fence-match with Bond and Madonna acts/trains Pike are bad IMO.

I really enjoyed Tamahori's The Edge but I really think Die Another Day is just bad all around.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.