Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marley & Me (Frankel, 2008) Owen Wilson, Aniston, Arkin, and a Labrador

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Marley & Me (Frankel, 2008) Owen Wilson, Aniston, Arkin, and a Labrador

Old 10-28-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 991 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Marley & Me (Frankel, 2008) Owen Wilson, Aniston, Arkin, and a Labrador

I thought the movie was great. One of the main reasons was because it was quite true to life. I didn't feel like they made anything overly sappy or dramatically heartwrenching. The beauty of the movie was that all of the emotions felt like reflected emotions that come from real life. In other words they didn't rely on a swelling musical score or even excessive bonding moments with the dog like some have complained. In fact I thought it was very genuine that they made the story so imperfect and so believable. If it had just been about a cute dog I doubt it if it would have had the same impact. The fact that Marley was such an imperfect dog yet grew to be a part of the family and was with them as this couple takes those first milestones together was just so real. Because of that the emotions from the movie also are more real.

It's like the absolutely perfect montage in Up! The emotions are there because they reflect basic human emotions rather then rely on tricks. It's not something like E.T. (for lack of a better example, not emotional for me) where you might get attached to E.T. but it's not reflective of the emotion of real life.

Does anyone get what I'm saying?
Old 10-28-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

Jesus I hated this fucking movie.

Nothing more than some melodramatic, self-important yuppie wankfest that left no trite corner unturned, barely presenting any scintilla of compelling content so they throw in a wacky-but-adorable dog to make the whole insipid project seem "deep and endearing".

Total shit.
Old 10-28-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^I would never compare this movie to "Up" in any way.
Old 10-29-09, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I really liked this movie, and thank god I watched it alone at home where I was able to bawl like a baby with no one else around to see/hear me...
Old 10-29-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Nothing more than some melodramatic, self-important yuppie wankfest that left no trite corner unturned, barely presenting any scintilla of compelling content so they throw in a wacky-but-adorable dog to make the whole insipid project seem "deep and endearing".

Total shit.
Old 10-30-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Had to comment since I saw this movie, and was reminded in an other forum thread about it. I hated the characters in this movie. I thought they were HORRENDOUS dog owners who seemed willfully ignorant about how to properly train a dog. I don't know if the behaviors were exaggerated for the movie (never read the book or any of the articles), but they seemed to make no effort to train this dog other than that one weird training scene. A lot of effort there guys, great job.

I know I probably took it too seriously in that respect, but being a dog owner who puts some effort (nothing crazy, I'm not doing schutzhund or anything) into making sure their dog is well-behaved it just infuriated me how shitty they let that dog behave.

Of course I'm sad when the dog dies. That's an easy emotion to drag out of people. I have had to put a dog to sleep before, and it's horrible, but I didn't feel bad for the people in this movie. I just felt bad when reminded of my own personal feelings during that time.

The problem was, I never said to myself, "man that's a really crazy bad dog. How funny." I just thought those are really two very selfish and lazy dog owners who have made zero real effort into fixing this dog's behavioral problems. Also, Owen Wilson's character was so whiny and unsympathetic that I couldn't stand him.
Yeah, that about sums it up for me as well. When I was trying to talk to other people about the movie and the training issues they would always just shrug me off. One said that her dog did bad things like that (yeah, when he was a puppy!) and you can't get mad at the dog about it. No, anger won't resolve the issue, but dogs can be trained out of those destructive stages. The lady with the destructive puppy saw that dog through the destructive stage, so it can be done.

It REALLY bothered me that their attitude to fixing what the dog did was just throw money around. Chewed up a friend's baby seat? Buy a new one. Chewed up the couch? Buy a new one. There, that fixed it all...just buy new drywall for the garage. Just buy new everything and take no proactive measures to train the dog. They tried once to train him and gave up.

And, like you, the emotion felt at Marley's passing isn't that Marley himself is dying, but that you are reminded of dogs in your life.
Old 11-01-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
It REALLY bothered me that their attitude to fixing what the dog did was just throw money around. Chewed up a friend's baby seat? Buy a new one. Chewed up the couch? Buy a new one. There, that fixed it all...just buy new drywall for the garage. Just buy new everything and take no proactive measures to train the dog. They tried once to train him and gave up.

And, like you, the emotion felt at Marley's passing isn't that Marley himself is dying, but that you are reminded of dogs in your life.
I agree about the tossing of money around. That bugged me when I saw it, but shrugged it off since the movie was more about this couple's life than the dog.

A disagree about the last part. I saw the movie when it came out last winter and never owned a dog myself (although I married into one). Marley passing was completely emotional to me, as someone who has never lost a dog. It had nothing to do with prior experiences since I had none to go on. And actually our dog had to be put down back in July.
Old 11-01-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Total shit.
Yes yes and yes. This movie failed right out of the gate hiring two of Hollywood's most unappealing actors. It didn't help that the movie is based on a book that should have never been made into a movie in the first place. When I heard they were, my first thought was "How?". Then "WHY!??".
Old 11-02-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who want to know:

Spoiler:

Old 07-23-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
I really liked this movie, and thank god I watched it alone at home where I was able to bawl like a baby with no one else around to see/hear me...
yeah I watched it alone too. Movies like this are the only ones that can make me bawl. The other movie that does it to me is My Dog Skip. These movies never hit me like they do until I lost the dog I had since I was a little kid in 2006. Since then these movies really hit me.

Also the thing that bugged me a ton is what year is this movie suppose to take place in? I take it suppose to be in the early 90's as The computers are all very old yet everything is modern stuff, from the cars and clothes. I also noticed early in the film when they had there old Honda in the driveway, in one seen he walks out and they have the Volvo that they get latter in the movie. then the next shot its the old Honda. This movie had alot of Continuity goofs.

But overall i thought it was a pretty good movie even though Wilson and Aniston dont really have any chemistry and dont look like a couple.
Old 07-23-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wait, you were a little kid in 2006? And you joined in 2004?
Old 07-23-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Wait, you were a little kid in 2006? And you joined in 2004?
He's had a dog since he was a kid and that dog died in 2006.
Old 07-23-10, 02:22 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a dog lover. My wife had read the book, so I knew what I was getting into when I decided to watch the film. Any movie with a dog in it, I think in the back of my mind "is this dog gonna die?" LOL I tend to steer away from these types of films. I have shed tears during movies before, however this is the first film I have ever watched that I was sobbing uncontrollably. The end took me back to 2006 when our 19 year old family dog died. He was such an important part of our family. I will never forget picking him up and his entire body was limp when we took him to the vet where he died. This movie just brought back all of those memories like a damn tidal wave. I even had a damn migraine after the movie was over. So, it is safe to say I will never watch this movie again.
Old 07-23-10, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by wlj
I am a dog lover. My wife had read the book, so I knew what I was getting into when I decided to watch the film. Any movie with a dog in it, I think in the back of my mind "is this dog gonna die?" LOL I tend to steer away from these types of films. I have shed tears during movies before, however this is the first film I have ever watched that I was sobbing uncontrollably. The end took me back to 2006 when our 19 year old family dog died. He was such an important part of our family. I will never forget picking him up and his entire body was limp when we took him to the vet where he died. This movie just brought back all of those memories like a damn tidal wave. I even had a damn migraine after the movie was over. So, it is safe to say I will never watch this movie again.
thats the same thing that happened to me. My Dog that that passed away also in 2006 was 19-20 years old and did the same thing, took her to the vet where they put her to sleep in my arms. So this movie did the same thing, bringing back the memories like a tidal wave and I also wont watch the movie again.
Old 07-23-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
thats the same thing that happened to me. My Dog that that passed away also in 2006 was 19-20 years old and did the same thing, took her to the vet where they put her to sleep in my arms. So this movie did the same thing, bringing back the memories like a tidal wave and I also wont watch the movie again.
I didn't know about the ending and was dragged to see the movie by a friend. I ended up bawling in the theater; would have never gone to see it if I knew.

The only good thing to come of it was that it made it slightly easier to prepare when I had to put my dog to sleep last summer. Emotionally, it wasn't any easier, but at least I had an idea of how they were going to do the procedure.
Old 07-24-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
Dude, don't watch Hatchi. Ever.

I will say this, though...I only saw Marley and Me once. That's all I ever care to see of it...it wasn't really a strong movie over all, but the ending...man it impacted me too. The part where Owen Wilson tells Marley he's a great dog before he passes...just wow...tears are forming in my eyes as I think of the scene! But one thing the movie did for me was REALLY make me appreciate everyday with my dog. He's six, but time flies by so fast and he will be up there before I know it. So I tell him quite often he's a great dog and I think of that scene in Marley and Me when I say it. I just want him to know as much as I can let him know before it gets too late.

Last edited by calhoun07; 07-24-10 at 01:05 AM.