Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Siskel and Ebert review "True Lies" - Siskel and Ebert are STUPID

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Siskel and Ebert review "True Lies" - Siskel and Ebert are STUPID

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Parcher, please, cut down on your steroid intake.
Old 12-25-08, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Just... wow.
Old 12-25-08, 11:54 AM
Suspended

What is this all about?

E
Old 12-25-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wtf?!!
Old 12-25-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If we're critiquing old Siskel And Ebert reviews, talk about some of the old Friday The 13th reviews where the two of them actually reviewed them as if they were intended to be serious and artsy (and in both cases, their blood would boil over them) instead of just accepting that they were meant to be mindless popcorn fun that you leave your brain at the door before watching.
Old 12-25-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
Frankly, i think it's utterly idiotic of anyone to dismiss a critics review because said critic didn't actually make 14 academy award winning movies themselves. I am sick of people, be it 20, 10, or 2 years or 2 days ago who say critics don't have the right to criticize something because they couldn't personally make a better movie. It's the most ridiculously idiotic bit of logic you see on message boards discussing film.
It's also the sort of soapbox that only gets dragged out when someone dares criticize a film that they themselves like and feel compelled to defend.

It's not like we are lobbing critical hand grenades at the guy who puts on free plays down at the city park. These films are commercial products (and increasingly expensive ones at that) and criticism is not only appropriate, it is needed.

Oh, and there most certainly is an undertone of humor throughout much of True Lies. The humor is not overt through much of the film.
Old 12-25-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
It's not nice to call one dead person and one almost dead person stupid, since I'm sure Ebert's opinion on a film is 10,000 times more valid than any opinion you have.
Opinions are like assholes... everyone has one. One person's opinion isn't any more or less valid than another's. They are a personal view.
Old 12-26-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Opinions are like assholes... everyone has one. One person's opinion isn't any more or less valid than another's. They are a personal view.
Wrong.

An informed or educated opinion is definitely more "valid" than another's. Tastes may vary, but some have infinitely more refined tastes than others.

Would you take medical advice from a drug addict? Would you take parental advice from Casey Anthony (assuming she's guilty, she of course may not be)? Would you take legal advice from a junior high school dropout? Would you see a movie based on the opnion of a HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 fan?
Old 12-26-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
this thread is hilarious.
qft
Old 12-26-08, 02:16 AM

to me, true lies is more of a period piece. and as for the action? let's just say it's no gymkata.
Old 12-26-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Would you see a movie based on the opnion of a HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 fan?
could you be any more of a snob? I have never seen, nor do I intend to, the High School Musical movies but you sound just as oblivious to that as Siskel and Ebert were to the slasher flicks of the 80's. HSM3 was intended as something safe that parents can take their kids to see, it isn't intended to be a piece of art, it's intended to be something little girls would enjoy without their parents being worried they'd be exposed to anything they aren't ready for them to see yet. No more, no less.
Old 12-26-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way Parcher writes this it'd make you think Arnold was walking around the whole movie stepping on rakes or something.

It was an ACTION MOVIE with COMIC undertones. It's like saying Lethal Weapon was a comedy.

= J
Old 12-26-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
could you be any more of a snob?
Yes, he most certainly could be more of a snob and may regulars here often are. You, in taking umbrage at his (perhaps unfortunate) implied dismissal of fans of HSM3, have missed his actual point by at least 7 kilometers.

To assert that all opinions are created equal or are even equally worthy of consideration is fatuity.
Old 12-26-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And once again a Parcher thread completely falls apart.
Old 12-27-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
could you be any more of a snob? I have never seen, nor do I intend to, the High School Musical movies but you sound just as oblivious to that as Siskel and Ebert were to the slasher flicks of the 80's. HSM3 was intended as something safe that parents can take their kids to see, it isn't intended to be a piece of art, it's intended to be something little girls would enjoy without their parents being worried they'd be exposed to anything they aren't ready for them to see yet. No more, no less.
Well, actually, my response was aimed at the commonly stated, but widely disproven "One person's opinion isn't any more or less valid than another's. They are a personal view." I'm not a snob. I love and indulge in more than my fair share of crap cinema (almost all films starring Arnie, most comic book movies, most escapist films in general), but I'm not going defend such tastes.

I recognize that HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL isn't intended to be anything but juvenile-based junk, but that doesn't mean it's free from criticism. If I had impressionable young daughters, I would much rather have them watch HSM than any R-rated comedy today.
Old 12-27-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Yes, he most certainly could be more of a snob and may regulars here often are. You, in taking umbrage at his (perhaps unfortunate) implied dismissal of fans of HSM3, have missed his actual point by at least 7 kilometers.

To assert that all opinions are created equal or are even equally worthy of consideration is fatuity.

Thanks. You explained my position better than I did.