Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How Bad Are Costner's The Postman & Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How Bad Are Costner's The Postman & Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?

Old 12-21-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"The Postman" wasn't that bad of a movie.

"Robin Hood" is not bad (American Robin excluded), but Alan Rickman's Sheriff is the real star.
Old 12-21-08, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Another I haven't seen is For Love of the Game, and I don't really know why.
I loved this flick. Sam Raimi directing a Kevin Costner baseball movie. Kelly Preston is freakin' hawt here. "Clear the mechanism"

Oh and Costner made "Open Range", that's just awesome.
Old 12-21-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts
I always thought Costner worked a lot better in the movies where he played an Everyman. After Dances With Wolves, he started drifting more into the code hero parts, and I don't think it entirely worked for him.

As for the two movies mentioned in the thread, while Robin Hood is not a great movie, I still find it entertaining. Alan Rickman certainly chews up a lot of scenery in it. Never could make myself watch the Postman though. I could never get past the unintentionally funny trailer for the movie, and at the time I was tired of the code hero Costner b/c of Wyatt Earp (which I liked...Dennis Quaid was fantastic!) and Waterworld (which I didn't). Maybe it's time to finally watch it.
Old 12-21-08, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Postman is cheesy but watchable... just like Waterworld.

Robin Hood is garbage... but has a good Michael Kamen score.
Old 12-21-08, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
I like about half of his movies that I have seen.The Perfect World and Robin Hood are the 2 i liked the most.Waterworld and the Postman I hate with pasion..

I liked (14)

Mr. Brooks (2007)
The War (1994)
Wyatt Earp (1994)
A Perfect World (1993)
JFK (1991)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Dances with Wolves (1990) ..
Revenge (1990/I) .
Field of Dreams (1989)
Bull Durham (1988)
No Way Out (1987)
The Untouchables (1987)
American Flyers (1985)
Silverado (1985)

didn't really enjoy(12)

The Guardian (2006/I)
Rumor Has It... (2005)
The Upside of Anger (2005)
Open Range (2003) .
Dragonfly (2002) ..
3000 Miles to Graceland (2001)
For Love of the Game (1999) .
Message in a Bottle (1999)
The Postman (1997)
Tin Cup (1996)
Waterworld (1995)
The Bodyguard (1992)
Old 12-21-08, 07:11 AM
Banned

Speaking of Kevin Costner and Kevin Reynolds, and because no one else has mentioned it, I would say that you should really check out the film Fandango. A very entertaining film from '85, written and directed by Kevin Reynolds, with great early performances from Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson, and an incredible soundtrack featuring music by Pat Metheny.

As for the OP, Robin Hood was passable but I found The Postman too long and too slow.
Old 12-21-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Like many of you, I also like both films. Both are elevated by great villains, Will Patton (playing against type) in The Postman and Alan Rickman in Robin Hood.

Last edited by movielib; 12-21-08 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always liked The Postman. I thought it had a strong message about the importance of communication, a nice "epic" feel, and and it painted a legitamate picture of what the future could be like if we're not careful. My only two real problems with the movie were the fact that Costner's character technically doesn't set everything in motion (it was Larenz Tate's character who lies in order to inspire), and the last scene (with the statue) is the kind of scene that I can't really blame critics for attacking, it was just too egotistical.
Old 12-21-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Good to hear, I've heard good things recently (as opposed to before when everyone would only say it wasn't as good as Tombstone.)
Yeah that that is yet another another example of the 'masses' and why Hollywood dumbs down movies to appeal to them.

'Tombstone' is a forgettable 'action' western with over-the-top performances galore, and pistols that fire 25-30 rounds without a reload. It doesn't rank in my top 20 or 30 westerns. I can't stand to watch more than few minutes of the charicaturish performances in that film most of the time when it comes on TV.

That the American audience raved over 'Tombstone' while 'Wyatt Earp' was overlooked for the most part is an example of why so many intelligent, substantive dramas come out of Hollywood. Oh that's right not many do come out of Hollywood. It's a freaking miracle that 'The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford' even got a green light. I'm surprised some other studio didn't do a competing movie with lots of 'action' and 'tough guy' dialogue with single action pistols that produce automatic fire and blow that film out that year. Of course there would have been lots of talk that year about how 'Jesse James Was A Badass Who Shot Lots Of People' was AWESOME, but that 'Assassination" movie was just boring and long.
Old 12-21-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Yeah that that is yet another another example of the 'masses' and why Hollywood dumbs down movies to appeal to them.

'Tombstone' is a forgettable 'action' western with over-the-top performances galore, and pistols that fire 25-30 rounds without a reload. It doesn't rank in my top 20 or 30 westerns. I can't stand to watch more than few minutes of the charicaturish performances in that film most of the time when it comes on TV.

That the American audience raved over 'Tombstone' while 'Wyatt Earp' was overlooked for the most part is an example of why so many intelligent, substantive dramas come out of Hollywood. Oh that's right not many do come out of Hollywood. It's a freaking miracle that 'The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford' even got a green light. I'm surprised some other studio didn't do a competing movie with lots of 'action' and 'tough guy' dialogue with single action pistols that produce automatic fire and blow that film out that year. Of course there would have been lots of talk that year about how 'Jesse James Was A Badass Who Shot Lots Of People' was AWESOME, but that 'Assassination" movie was just boring and long.
I agree with you 100%.
Old 12-21-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Count me in as another who prefers Wyatt Earp to Tombstone.

Costner's Earp is much closer to the real Earp than Russel's is. In real life Earp was a pretty big asshole. There are even allegations that him and his brothers pimped out their wives. Quaid as the hacking, emaciated, loyal Doc Holliday pushed a good movie, to a great movie. I'd really like to see Costner take on another western. Open Range was fantastic imo.

As for the topic, I'm not a fan of The Postman, but it's not horrible. Robin Hood is a pretty good movie with Rickman and Freeman turning in some fun performances.
Old 12-21-08, 01:09 PM

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Speaking of Kevin Costner and Kevin Reynolds, and because no one else has mentioned it, I would say that you should really check out the film Fandango. A very entertaining film from '85, written and directed by Kevin Reynolds, with great early performances from Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson, and an incredible soundtrack featuring music by Pat Metheny.
What he said!
Old 12-21-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Count me in as another who prefers Wyatt Earp to Tombstone.

Costner's Earp is much closer to the real Earp than Russel's is.
To be fair, I think people like Tombstone because of Val more than Russel. Man, I really need to find a few spare hours to watch Earp now, you guys have me excited.

And Dr. Mabuse, The Assasination.... is sitting sealed on my shelf as well. Pretty much the entire Western genre is untapped by me.
Old 12-21-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
Robin Hood is pretty good, if you don't mind Costner forgetting the English accent in 3/4 of the movie. The only bad thing about the DVD is that it only had the extended cut version. The theatrical version was a lot better.
Point one: The original single-disc release (now OOP, I believe, but easily found used) has the theatrical cut.

Point two: The extended cut basically just restores scenes with Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham. If you enjoyed his performance (and I, for one, loved him), then this is great.
Old 12-21-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,283 Likes on 2,110 Posts
I wish I could go back to the time when I had not seen that masterpiece, just so I could have the pleasure of seeing it again for the first time.

One of the best westerns ever made.

It's already been mentioned a couple of times in this thread but if you haven't seen it yet, might I suggest Open Range. It's (deliberately) slow, but I think it's a masterpiece in and of itself.

I'll also second Fandango. It's a great way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.
Old 12-22-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts
I remember loving Robin Hood when it came out -- but a few years back I bought the 2-disc edition and it did not hold up ... still not bad, but not what I remembered.

I actually really enjoy The Postman and Waterworld ... Dennis Hopper is the shizzle in Waterworld, cousins.
Old 12-22-08, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Point two: The extended cut basically just restores scenes with Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham. If you enjoyed his performance (and I, for one, loved him), then this is great.
Awesome, more Sheriff is good. Now if they could just recut to movie to have it from *his* perspective.....

It is always a toss up which Sheriff I like more, Alan Rickman's take or Roger Rees take.
Old 12-22-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

That the American audience raved over 'Tombstone' while 'Wyatt Earp' was overlooked for the most part is an example of why so many intelligent, substantive dramas come out of Hollywood. Oh that's right not many do come out of Hollywood.
Agree 100%. Tombstone was too Young Guns for me. I can see how some could like it more as an action movie, but not as a western. Costner has 3 of my favorite westerns under his belt, Dances with Wolves, Wyatt Earp and Open Range.

As far as the movies being discussed, I like them all. Waterworld got terrible press because of it's budget and production problems and I don't think it was given a fair shake once it came out. Postman also suffered with Waterworld comparisons (too many Waterworld on land comparisons).

Robin Hood has always been a favorite of mine. Aside from the here one scene, gone another accent...it's just a lot of fun with a great turn by Rickman.
Old 12-22-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I can't believe the love for the Postman here, it has to be one of the worst films i've ever seen. It's a 3 hour bore fest with horrible acting. Back when I worked in a video store, we used to have a contest on friday and saturday nights to see who could actually get somebody to rent it. The customers we did always came back and got angry at us for suggesting they watch it.
Old 12-22-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I liked Robin Hood when I saw it originally. So much so I saw it twice in one weekend. I think it was mostly because I thought Alan Rickman was so damn funny in it. Havent seen Robin Hood since.

The Postman . . . I tried watching it once and skipped ahead quite a bit.
I looooveeee Robin Hood and Alan Rickman was amazing in this film.
Old 12-31-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally watched Wyatt Earp last night, and it was excellent. It's a little odd though how old-timey mustaches make everyone look like Thomas Hayden Church or Josh Brolin. There are so many familiar faces and great performances in that movie, I'm surprised it isn't respected more.

I also watched Waterworld, which was good fun and better than I remembered.
Old 12-31-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
I liked them both but i only own Robin Hood
Old 12-31-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 652 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Sessa17

Same here, dig the hell out of both of them & consider them both to be good movies. Always been a real big Costner fan. Think he gets such a bum rap.

I think 3000 Miles to Graceland fits much better for your bad movie kick. It actually is a bad movie, but one I enjoy a lot & think Costner is great in.
Co-sign. I'll gladly give any movie a shot as long as Kevin Costner is starring in it.

3000 Miles To Graceland was intentionally over the top and cheesy but was saved from crossing over into being genuine crap by Kevin Costner's performance. Not to take anything away from Kurt Russell (he too was great) but Kevin Costner is the reason I enjoyed the movie as much as I did.