DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Timecrimes (Vigalondo, 2007) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/546139-timecrimes-vigalondo-2007-a.html)

Tuan Jim 12-20-08 10:09 AM

Timecrimes (Vigalondo, 2007)

Just had a chance to watch this last night at the Landmark Cinema in DC.

Really a very entertaining and interesting low-key treatment of time travel (a little like Primer in that respect).

Honestly, I know there's a US trailer floating around out there - apparently very spoiler heavy (still haven't seen it) - but with this one you're definitely best going in blind (heck - from the one still that always accompanied every twitch article for who knows how long, in the back of my mind I expecting an animated film).

Highly recommended. Great acting, black humor, very well done!

meritocracy 12-20-08 02:47 PM

A great performance from lead Karra Elejalde in what's essentially a very clever Spanish B-movie shot on a shoestring. It's pretty damn entertaining, although, certain aspects could certainly be improved upon.

Cronenberg is reportedly attached to the remake.

d2cheer 12-20-08 07:38 PM

I would say first half great, second not so much...

I get that there were thing that he tried to correct and fix etc... but overall he was incredibly stupid in his actions. There was no reason for him to have done what he did in the house with the other female lead for instance. IF he would have thought things out better it would have been a great movie. I guess that was my frustration with it. There just was no logic to some of his actions. But I guess put in that situation it is possible for all of us to not act as expected. Maybe that was the point.

Tuan Jim 12-20-08 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 9146645)
I would say first half great, second not so much...

I get that there were thing that he tried to correct and fix etc... but overall he was incredibly stupid in his actions. There was no reason for him to have done what he did in the house with the other female lead for instance. IF he would have thought things out better it would have been a great movie. I guess that was my frustration with it. There just was no logic to some of his actions. But I guess put in that situation it is possible for all of us to not act as expected. Maybe that was the point.

Spoiler:
But as it plays out, was there any way for him to actually "correct" those mistakes? As I see it, Hector 3 at the end of the film successfully made it out of the continuum, but technically speaking the cycle will still repeat itself endlessly but with a new Hector 3 (and Hectors 1 & 2) each time.

Bobby Shalom 12-29-08 02:10 PM

Timecrimes

Really intelligent Spanish Sci-Fi mindbender. I liked it even though it gave me a brain freeze. It didn't hurt that there was some gorgeous Spanish actress nude for some of the running time. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting which made it such a nice suprise. I hear it's already being remade for a 2009 release.

riotinmyskull 04-09-09 07:05 AM

Re: Timecrimes

watched this yesterday and thought it was a great little time travel flick. really well done. i'll purchase it once magnet settles their LET THE RIGHT ONE IN fiasco.

RichC2 04-09-09 07:27 AM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...eat-flick.html

FM 04-09-09 07:32 AM

I also saw this recently. I mostly enjoyed it, but I have to admit that I found the main character to be a complete moron. Also, I don't think the boobs at the beginning really belong to the woman we eventually meet :o

OldBoy 04-09-09 10:48 AM

i meant to rent this and "Tell No One" yesterday, but instead totally spaced and got "Marley & Me" and "Yes Man"...true story.

Shilex 04-09-09 12:39 PM

I still need to watch this and Tell No One also. Or should I just wait for the inevitable remakes? ;)

whotony 04-09-09 09:38 PM

meh, was interesting but got to convoluted and began to not make sense.

Spoiler:
there was too many versions of the lead guy popping up and there was no reason for it.
there was no explanation as to how the first guy came about(bandage head guy).
and it was more that he was only doing everything he did because he thought it was supposed to happen, due to him seeing himself doing these things he did.

matome 04-10-09 08:14 AM

Yeah, I got lost pretty quickly. The bike chick was damn hot though.

Shilex 04-11-09 09:49 AM

What a paradox of a film. I enjoyed it, but like someone else said - his actions verged on numbskull.

Spoiler:
He could have actually prevented most of everything awful happening by just sitting in one place and doing nothing (any of the 3 Hectors at any time). Each of his minute actions were needed to create his situation - so if he had just decided to change one of his actions (as opposed to doing what he remembered himself doing) then it would have destroyed the timeline he knew. Thus he would have never traveled back into the past. His life would have then been played out uneventful. But I guess him being not-so-smart is what put him in the situation to go wander in the woods looking for a naked girl and then stabbing himself. Arghhhh, the more you think about it the loopier it gets.

zombeaner 04-11-09 12:13 PM

Re: Timecrimes (Vigalondo, 2007)

While it was certainly convoluted, nothing is left unexplained. I remember seeing this at a film festival about a year ago and really enjoying it.

Tarantino 03-16-13 10:13 PM

This had been on my watch list for a long time and I just saw it.

Great little time travel flick, although I agree with some of you regarding his decisions.

Definitely worth a watch. Now I guess I have to look for Extraterrestrial.

Why So Blu? 03-17-13 05:48 AM

I don't care for the Vigalondo name since it's actually "Tiempos Crimenes."

Abob Teff 08-27-22 10:22 PM

No time machine needed ... 15 years later I finally watched this! I liked it, but I had several household distractions occurring during the last 30 minutes, so I'm wondering if I missed anything that brought about any real resolution.

Like others posted, at first I was having a problem with Hector's "decision making process." Then I realized he was incapable of making any decisions. Everything he did, that he thought he was choosing to do, had to happen. This occurred to me when he was trying to recreate the "turn around with circle eyes" moment. Nothing ever changed. Sometimes it seemed as something did change, but then we find out it really did not.

So ... what happens to the many versions of Hector?