Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Knight - 185 mio. budget?! WTF?!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to IMDB, Dark Knight has an estimated budget of 185 mill.

Either IMDB is wrong, or I am simply a fool. I have NO idea how a movie like that could cost $185 000 000. I realize it's expensive to make a big movie, obviously.

But can someone explain how the heck it runs up to 185 million? I seriously can't reason how or why. Special effects were nothing ordinary, and while the movie was long (2½ hours) many scenes were shot in small environments and settings featuring only a few people.

A movie like T2, which is a much bigger movie than Dark Knight (esp, considering its time, 1990) cost what, 100 million back then? Adjust for inflation and you're still not approaching Dark Knight. Alexander was 150 mill., and again a bigger movie.

I honestly can't think of why Dark Knight would cost any more to make than so many other action movies.

Outrageous actors salaries? That's an easy way to bump production costs.
Old 12-19-08, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
another fucking dark knight thread.
Old 12-19-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Specifically about the budget..
Old 12-19-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you German?
Old 12-19-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember the 2006 crapfest sequel Evan Almighty? It's budget exceeded $200,000,000, so anything is possible.
Old 12-19-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I am so SICK of these!!!
Old 12-19-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher

Either IMDB is wrong, or I am simply a fool. I have NO idea how a movie like that could cost $185 000 000. I realize it's expensive to make a big movie, obviously.

But can someone explain how the heck it runs up to 185 million? I seriously can't reason how or why. Special effects were nothing ordinary, and while the movie was long (2½ hours) many scenes were shot in small environments and settings featuring only a few people.

A movie like T2, which is a much bigger movie than Dark Knight (esp, considering its time, 1990) cost what, 100 million back then? Adjust for inflation and you're still not approaching Dark Knight. Alexander was 150 mill., and again a bigger movie.

I honestly can't think of why Dark Knight would cost any more to make than so many other action movies.

Outrageous actors salaries? That's an easy way to bump production costs.

Flying your entire crew to Hong Kong to shoot IMAX sequences is expensive, flipping a semi on a closed Chicago street is expensive, filming in Chicago is expensive, creating a giant tank-like mobile is expensive, creating a useable two wheel vehicle is expensive, hiring Chris Nolan, Christian Bale, and Heath Ledger is expensive, having composers make music specifically for your movie is expensive, having a large cast of extras is expensive, closing down buildings is expensive, shooting at night costs extra. IMAX isn't cheap. Blowing up a building is expensive.

Town and Country cost $100m to make and Pirates of the Caribbean 3 cost $300m, figure those out. Terminator 2 cost $102m in 1991 which is about $154m adjusted for inflation, and imo, the visuals in that look cheap by todays standards so ehh.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-19-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I agree, $180m is pretty low for a movie of such scale. Still trying to figure out how Pirates of the Caribbean 3 cost $300m, even after the sets got wiped out.

Flying your entire crew to Hong Kong to shoot IMAX sequences is expensive, flipping a semi on a closed Chicago street is expensive, filming in Chicago is expensive, creating a giant tank-like mobile is expensive, creating a useable two wheel vehicle is expensive, hiring Chris Nolan, Christian Bale, and Heath Ledger is expensive, having composers make music specifically for your movie is expensive, having a large cast of extras is expensive, closing down buildings is expensive, shooting at night costs extra. IMAX isn't cheap. Blowing up a building is expensive.

Town and Country cost $100m to make, figure that one out.
don't forget aaron eckhart, maggie g., morgan freeman, gary oldman and michael caine.
Old 12-19-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rich I get all the things you're saying. I'm just confused since there are many movies that are on a similar scale in terms of "epicness" that didn't cost 185 mio.

Actors salaries must have been a BIG part of Dark Knight.

Troy was 175 million. That felt like a much "bigger" movie than TDK.

PS - it doesn't matter if the visuals in T2 look cheap by today's standard. They were very big and expensive back then, and as a side note apart from the in parts dated imagery generally look MUCH better than all the crap we see today.

I'm surprised Pirates 3 was 300 million...how..the..hell :S

This is not an anti-Dark Knight thread, I am simply expressing how I am confused that the movie could cost so much - and expressing that it didn't FEEL like that "big" af movie.

Last edited by Parcher; 12-19-08 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Prince Caspian cost more and had less stars.
Old 12-19-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It all took place on one beach.
Old 12-19-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Rich I get all the things you're saying. I'm just confused since there are many movies that are on a similar scale in terms of "epicness" that didn't cost 185 mio.

PS - it doesn't matter if the visuals in T2 look cheap by today's standard. They were very big and expensive back then, and as a side note apart from the in parts dated imagery generally look MUCH better than all the crap we see today.

This is not an anti-Dark Knight thread, I am simply expressing how I am confused that the movie could cost so much - and expressing that it didn't FEEL like that "big" af movie.
When I watched the movie, I was sort of surprised they kept it under $200m with the rising cost of everything, the weak US dollar, inflation, etc; To each their own I suppose.

Even more amazed they got anything out of 180

Old 12-19-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
I am confused that the movie could cost so much
You should have seen the catering spread!
Old 12-19-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

most of T2 was salary for Arnold and CGI. the filming was mostly done on sets except for a few shots like when john is running from the semi. shooting at a gas station in the middle of a desert is cheap.

i live in NYC and see what it takes to shoot a scene for law and order or a movie. first you need a permit, then you post signs in the area a few days ahead. then a whole fleet of vehicles comes out and parks for a few days to shoot a few minutes of footage. and a lot of people are needed as well. if you average $50 an hour pay and benefits and there are 100 people that's $5000 an hour. and this is for some cheapo shots in front of a courthouse or in the street with a few actors talking.

to shoot the action scenes in Chicago was probably very expensive. first you plan, simulate, test, test and test and then go to shoot and pray everything goes OK
Old 12-19-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
It all took place on one beach.
Yeah, and if the problem is actor's salaries, you'd think Brad Pitt and Legolas would have priced that one way above TDK.
Old 12-19-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't even know what a mio is never mind 185 of them.
Old 12-19-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Because most of the effects were 'physical'. When they didn't just shoot the action, they were using composites and whatnot. It's a lot cheaper (and lamer) to have a team of people, sitting behind a computer, creating the action on a computer.

Additionally, I think that everything was very well paid-for. You get what you pay for. Watching the movie, I got the feeling that they were allowed plenty of time to preplan an execute with precision.

Given the budgets of most modern tentpole releases, I think $185mil is very reasonable.

Someone asked if Parcher is German. If I'm not mistaken, he is from Europe somewhere, right? Don't quote me on that. But I seem to remember seeing that in the Other forum at some point.
Old 12-19-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler

Someone asked if Parcher is German. If I'm not mistaken, he is from Europe somewhere, right? Don't quote me on that. But I seem to remember seeing that in the Other forum at some point.
Yeah, I looked up mio. and it came up as the German abbreviation of million.
Old 12-19-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Also, let's not forget marketing costs. TDK's campaign was huge.
Old 12-19-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a sad thing to say, but $185 mill is very reasonable for a movie of this sort. Location shooting in a big US city, very little CGI (I figure it costs more to blow up a few real buildings than it is to blow up a model or do it on a computer), a large cast, and many scenes, etc. at that.

You'd be surprised by how much movies cost these days. The average big summer movie probably costs around $150-250 mill these days. Just for reference, Batman Begins cost $150 million 3-4 years ago. Quantum of Solace cost $200 mill. Spider-Man 3 cost $260 mill. It's all pretty crazy.
Old 12-19-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Success means everyone wants a larger piece of the pie. Just look at how much Spider-man was and how much more it cost for 2 sequels.
Old 12-19-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
He's a Dane.
Old 12-19-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
having composers make music specifically for your movie is expensive
Specifically, having two top tier composers make music...is expensive.
Old 12-19-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd say that figure factors in marketing, which I wouldn't be shocked to find was around $40-$50mil.
Old 12-19-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. CGI
2. Practical effects, stunts, explosions
3. Paying the main actors
4. Paying well over a hundred crew people for 3-4 months of their time
5. Paying over a thousand background extras over the course of the entire film, some of which probably worked for weeks and weeks on the film.
6. Marketing
7. Imax cameras and film (expensive)
8. Travelling to foreign countries with your crew/cast
9. Hiring big time composers
10. Etc...

It's actually surprising to me that it didn't cost more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.