DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Who is the most talented actress currently working in films? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/545974-who-most-talented-actress-currently-working-films.html)

NoirFan 12-17-08 10:37 PM

Who is the most talented actress currently working in films?

Reading the Meryl Streep thread got me thinking - who is the finest actress currently working in film? As of now, I'd go with Julianne Moore, but as I said in the Streep thread, I believe that eventually Kate Winslet, who is, amazingly enough, only 33, will be viewed as the gold standard for screen actresses. Anyway, here's who I came up with for the poll.

Meryl Streep
Kate Winslet
Julianne Moore
Cate Blanchett
Helen Mirren
Emma Thompson
Laura Linney
Naomi Watts
Diane Keaton
Other - please specify

Apologies to Samantha Morton, Judi Dench, Tilda Swinton, Nicole Kidman, Joan Allen, Julie Christie, Catherine Denueve and all the rest.

toddly6666 12-17-08 10:45 PM

You should add Eva Green to that list.

PopcornTreeCt 12-17-08 10:56 PM

I heart Cate Blanchett

meritocracy 12-18-08 12:27 AM

If the poll was asking who a hot Parisian starlet with beautiful breasts was, Eva Green would get serious consideration from me, but for the most talented actress working today? Seriously?

Meh, I'd add Toni Collette to the list personally.

Patman 12-18-08 01:05 AM

Jodie Foster
Hilary Swank
Charlize Theron

CreatureX 12-18-08 01:29 AM

Kate Winslet

wendersfan 12-18-08 06:51 AM

So if you don't work in Hollywood, you don't count?

The Bus 12-18-08 06:53 AM

I don't know if she's the best, but she's better than many on that list: Amy Adams.

FantasticVSDoom 12-18-08 07:12 AM

My vote always goes to Kate Winslet, but Kate Blanchett is pretty damn good as well.

NoirFan 12-18-08 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 9140787)
So if you don't work in Hollywood, you don't count?

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Other-please specify

kstublen 12-18-08 07:26 AM

Winslet is fantastic and probably the best on that list, but I voted for Laura Linney. I love her and feel she is very under-rated. She was fantastic in John Adams and everything I've seen her in as of late.

LiquidSky 12-18-08 07:34 AM

I love all on your list plus: :)

Jodie Foster
Sarah Polley
Jennifer Jason Leigh

Giantrobo 12-18-08 07:58 AM

Apparently only WHITE actors can act. :(

I guess that's what "other" is for....

I submit:

Spoiler:
Taraji P. Henson

Charlie Goose 12-18-08 08:06 AM

Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet are the top two.

wendersfan 12-18-08 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 9140886)
Apparently on WHITE actors can act. :(

Not only are all those actresses white, they're all really pale white women too. :lol:

NoirFan 12-18-08 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 9140886)
I submit:

Spoiler:
Taraji P. Henson

Looking at her IMDB profile, I see a Tyler Perry movie, Smokin Aces, some TV work and a handful of decidedly minor films like Baby Boy and 4 Brothers. This is the finest actress in cinema today?

Palaver 12-18-08 05:27 PM

Going with Kate Winslet. She's been great in everything I've seen her in.

Quake1028 12-18-08 05:34 PM

I said it in the other thread, but I think that Kate Winslet is our greatest living actress. And I think she will go down as an all-time great.

OldBoy 12-18-08 05:59 PM

i think Cate Blanchett is so versatile and talented. i mean she played Bob Dylan for god sake and she's not a dude and do think she was robbed for the Academy Award. i do like the others, but everything i see with Cate amazes me.

chris_sc77 12-18-08 06:05 PM

I went for KAte Winslet. Shes a great actress and has fantastic breasts.

NoirFan 12-18-08 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9142619)
I went for KAte Winslet. Shes a great actress and has fantastic breasts.

Which she thoughtfully bares in each and every one of her films.

Giantrobo 12-18-08 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9142513)
Looking at her IMDB profile, I see a Tyler Perry movie, Smokin Aces, some TV work and a handful of decidedly minor films like Baby Boy and 4 Brothers. This is the finest actress in cinema today?

Ha ha Fair enough....not really, but whatever. Look, believe it or not...ALL ACTORS STARTED OUT SOMEWHERE. Hell, I could probably name turds in the files of all the actresses you listed.

But you said, "Talented". She has tons of talent and RANGE. You may not personally approve of the films she's been in, but believe me, her star is rising fast. BTW, you left out her latest <b>"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"</b>. I have no doubt her role will be overshadowed by the Big Stars simply because that what happens when Big Stars are around; but I can also guarantee that anyone who pays attention to her performance will notice that there's something there.

Sessa17 12-18-08 06:23 PM

Cate Blanchett by far, love Winslet but IMO Cate is more convincingly versatile. Streep can't pull off sexy so Blanchett one up's her on that alone :D

For all her mainstream success, & all the roles & movies probably everyone typically associates her with, the scene that I think of the most, of why she is the gold standard of acting today is a scene from Heaven. In her first interrogation scene where she finds out that
Spoiler:
2 children were killed in the explosion she caused
, there is about a 2 minute scene without the camera ever panning or cutting, she goes from clear eyed to crying as the realization of what she's done sets in. It's so completely brilliant what she does in this scene, the woman is so ridiculously riveting.

NoirFan 12-18-08 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9142660)
For all her mainstream success, & all the roles & movies probably everyone typically associates her with, the scene that I think of the most, of why she is the gold standard of acting today is a scene from Heaven. In her first interrogation scene where she finds out that
Spoiler:
2 children were killed in the explosion she caused
, there is about a 2 minute scene without the camera ever panning or cutting, she goes from clear eyed to crying as the realization of what she's done sets in. It's so completely brilliant what she does in this scene, the woman is so ridiculously riveting.

I agree, that scene is a textbook example of the stunning talent she possesses. She is a mesmerizing screen presence through out Heaven. Even with a shaved head, she is almost transcendently beautiful.

superdeluxe 12-18-08 06:38 PM

I am going to say Cate Blanchett, it just seems that every movie she has been in, has garnered her critical acclaim. She seems to pick all the right roles.