Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Love You, Man (Hamburg, 2009): Paul Rudd and Jason Segel comedy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Love You, Man (Hamburg, 2009): Paul Rudd and Jason Segel comedy

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: I Love You, Man (Hamburg, 2009): Paul Rudd and Jason Segal comedy

Loved the extra scenes in there
Old 01-23-09, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New I Love You, Man Poster

Old 02-06-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious, what the hell is the point in the mods disabling the link but still keeping the link in the post so that everyone will click on it and will go to an empty web page? Just delete the whole freakin' post.
Old 02-06-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like these two have a new movie out every 3 months.
Old 02-06-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
It seems like these two have a new movie out every 3 months.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-06-09, 09:08 PM

re: I Love You, Man (Hamburg, 2009): Paul Rudd and Jason Segal comedy

I just saw it last night and I thought it was hilarious. Especially Segal, who proves here just like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall that he can be funny just by himself. There are a lot of funny gags to be had, and for once co-writer/director John Hamburg lets the story for the most part speak for itself (Meet the Parents still puts me off to this day and Along Came Polly would've been better if it weren't filled with so much unnecessary rear nudity and fart jokes). Here, most of those gags are so subtle, you almost don't notice them (There is a good but disgusting vomit joke that works on its own). The idea is farfetched, yes, but when it comes to the ideas, it's really all about the execution, and in my opinion, the execution is very well done. Also, if you have a big appreciation for the band Rush, you will love it even more.

All I can say is go see it March 20th (or if a sneak screening is being done in your area before hand, do your best to try and get in there). You'll have a good time.
Old 02-06-09, 10:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
Also, if you have a big appreciation for the band Rush, you will love it even more.
I'm there!
Old 02-12-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it through work last night, and I'm a bit disappointed. Not because it wasn't funny, because it was, but because it wasn't nearly on the level of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 40 Year Old Virgin, etc., to me. Now, I sometimes have to see a movie a few times to get in a groove with it (I was also disappointed in Step Brothers the first time I saw it), so my opinion could change. We are doing 10 more sneak previews of it, so I will have a chance to get to like it more .
Old 02-27-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved it and actually thought it was FUNNIER than Sarah Marshall...it might not be 'better' but it definitely brings the funny. Paul Rudd fucking OWNED in this movie. Every line of his was great, the delivery was perfect as usual...so fucking awkward at moments but just GREAT. Segel is awesome as the carefree wildman and there are so many great lines and moments in this one... Hamburg finally redeems himself for the atrocious 'Along Came Polly' (I think he's got some talent writing but this is the first time in a while that it felt like he had some directorial chops).

The supporting cast is awesome too and leaves you wanting more. Andy Samburg, JK Simmons, Jon Favreau, Rashida Jones, Jane Curtain and Thomas Lennon are all great. If you like R rated comedies and can handle all the guy love that this one entails, you'll have a blast. Can't wait to see it again. "Slappin' the bass!"
Old 02-27-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I didn't even chuckle. I usually like Paul Rudd a lot but this just looks boring. And I don't like Segel at all
Old 02-27-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not liking Segel may be a problem, but if you like Paul Rudd at all, this movie is for you.
Old 02-27-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see this one.
Old 02-28-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah, in case anyone doesn't know - you CAN see this movie early if you live in select cities (like I did this week) - here's the facebook link that lists all the advance showings that you can RSVP for. Check this one out! http://www.facebook.com/ILoveYouMan Just check out the EVENT part of that page.
Old 02-28-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Oh yeah, in case anyone doesn't know - you CAN see this movie early if you live in select cities (like I did this week) - here's the facebook link that lists all the advance showings that you can RSVP for. Check this one out! http://www.facebook.com/ILoveYouMan Just check out the EVENT part of that page.
Thanks man.

Just RSVP'd for the Tuesday screening in Vegas.
Old 03-14-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety review:
A Judd Apatow clone that's one of the few recent R-rated raunch fests the ubiquitous auteur of larky crudeness actually had nothing to do with, "I Love You, Man" cranks out the kind of lowball humor that makes you gag on your own laughs. Ever alert for opportunities to drop dirty bombs -- and compelled to repeat every below-the-beltjoke at least one time too many -- pic never surmounts a deeply lame central premise that makes most of the action seem fraudulent and thoroughly unnecessary.
Old 03-14-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, variety has their head up their own ass
Old 03-19-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paul Rudd is like the new Leslie Nielson - a serious actor turned funny man - I never thought that I would be looking forward to seeing Paul Rudd comedies.
Old 03-20-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Variety
A Judd Apatow clone that's one of the few recent R-rated raunch fests the ubiquitous auteur of larky crudeness actually had nothing to do with, "I Love You, Man" cranks out the kind of lowball humor that makes you gag on your own laughs. Ever alert for opportunities to drop dirty bombs -- and compelled to repeat every below-the-beltjoke at least one time too many -- pic never surmounts a deeply lame central premise that makes most of the action seem fraudulent and thoroughly unnecessary.
That's awesome!!

Was this supposed to be a negative review?
Old 03-20-09, 05:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw it tonight. It was pleasant. It felt like a cut above Role Models, but I really could have used some nudity (come on, you've got Rashida Jones and Jamie Pressley and you can't find a way to slip a tit in somewhere?). The supporting cast was generally underused. Having J.K. Simmons and Andy Samberg in your film and then giving them each one funny scene should be a crime. But Rudd and Segel are great together. I won't buy it, but I don't regret seeing it.
Old 03-20-09, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Paul Rudd is like the new Leslie Nielson - a serious actor turned funny man - I never thought that I would be looking forward to seeing Paul Rudd comedies.
Vince Vaughn was like that too.
Old 03-20-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Saw it tonight. It was pleasant. It felt like a cut above Role Models, but I really could have used some nudity (come on, you've got Rashida Jones and Jamie Pressley and you can't find a way to slip a tit in somewhere?). The supporting cast was generally underused. Having J.K. Simmons and Andy Samberg in your film and then giving them each one funny scene should be a crime. But Rudd and Segel are great together. I won't buy it, but I don't regret seeing it.
Agree with everything you said except the part about "Role Models". Thought that was much much funnier. Yes, Rudd and Segel are great together. This is a good film, not great. And it is pleasant, certainly not hilarious like "Sarah Marshall". My friend said to me walking out "Liked it, but could have waited for a rental". I concur.
Old 03-20-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it and thought it was an amusing waste of an hour and a half. Not worth seeing in theaters though. I'm glad though Rudd kinda played against his usual character and allowed Segal to go for the laughs more.
Old 03-20-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The trailer for this didn't do much for me but, seeing as how I'm a fan of the cast, I might try to take my gf to see this. I'm too on the fence to wait for it to hit BD and blind buy it.
Old 03-20-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The user reviews here have me luke warm on it now. Sounds like it's nothing particularly special and I really liked Role Models.
Old 03-20-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like I'll be seeing Duplicity instead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.