Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

sigh.

and not in a good way.
Old 08-16-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

channing tatum???? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

thanks. i needed a laugh today.

holy shit.
Old 08-16-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
"The Crow" was a big-budget remake of the 1986 Charlie Sheen vehicle "The Wraith", when you get right down to it. And "The Wraith" was better.

Although The Crow had some decent villain casting, and The Wraith has not aged well.

Last edited by fmian; 08-16-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-16-11, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Juan Carlos Fresnadillo. Whoever the fuck that is...?

Channing Tatum was very good in The Eagle so I'd give him the benifit of the doubt. And Mark Wahlberg could do it if he played it as a deranged version of his character from The Other Guys.
Ah...he was the director of 28 Weeks Later. Currently he has a film being promoted called The Intruders. I made a thread on that less than a week ago...nobody said anything about it. It looked interesting that's for sure.
Old 08-16-11, 09:03 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I wish they'd stop with the remakes. Doesn't anyone have an original idea anymore, or has all the prescription medications everyone is taking turned their brains to mush? More likely they'll keep making them as long as the sheeple pay to see them. The likelihood that said sheeple could band together in protest of all the remakes however is slim to none so I guess we'd better get used to the brainlessness of remakes... -kd5-
Old 08-16-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fmian

Although The Crow had some decent villain casting, and The Wraith has not aged well.
The hilarious naivety behind the idea that the revenge-story format used in "The Crow" was originated in "The Wraith" outweighs any "The Wraith did it first and better!" cred you might be trying to earn by drawing the comparison in the first place.

I guess "The Wraith" is a remake of 1984's "The Toxic Avenger" (not the first use of this format/concept either) by this rationale.
Old 08-16-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does Channing Tatum get cast in anything simply because he makes girls feel funny down there? Even Ray Charles can see the man can't act.
Old 08-16-11, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Are they just dropping the names of awful actors for the hell of it? Really? Channing? And Whispering Bill Walberg? Come on, if you arent going to try to make a good movie, dont bother. Pooper wasnt much better, but Id take him over these two.

In the make-up they would all look as bad as Turdlong.
Old 08-16-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
The hilarious naivety behind the idea that the revenge-story format used in "The Crow" was originated in "The Wraith" outweighs any "The Wraith did it first and better!" cred you might be trying to earn by drawing the comparison in the first place.

I guess "The Wraith" is a remake of 1984's "The Toxic Avenger" (not the first use of this format/concept either) by this rationale.
No because Toxie never died. He just mutated.

Originally Posted by banthafett
Are they just dropping the names of awful actors for the hell of it? Really? Channing? And Whispering Bill Walberg? Come on, if you arent going to try to make a good movie, dont bother. Pooper wasnt much better, but Id take him over these two.

In the make-up they would all look as bad as Turdlong.

Guys, who the fuck let this kid out of the daycare?
Old 08-16-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
No because Toxie never died. He just mutated.
You're right! He also used a mop for a weapon. Not the same story AT ALL.
Old 08-16-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right! He also used a mop for a weapon. Not the same story AT ALL.
Exactly!
Old 08-16-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

This would also mean that James O'Barr based his comic book series, which he started in 1981 after the death of his fiance, on The Wraith, as well.

The Crow ripping off The Wraith = FAIL
Old 08-16-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
"The Crow" was a big-budget remake of the 1986 Charlie Sheen vehicle "The Wraith", when you get right down to it. And "The Wraith" was better.
What? First, it was a low budget film. Second... well, see Josh's post:

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This would also mean that James O'Barr based his comic book series, which he started in 1981 after the death of his fiance, on The Wraith, as well.

The Crow ripping off The Wraith = FAIL
Old 08-16-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fmian

LOL, I was high as a kite when I typed this

And I understand the flak the comment is getting now.

PS. Would love to see Joseph Gordon Levitt play a crow character.
Old 08-16-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ I think one of the things that the Crow has going for it that the sequels don't (and coincidentally keeps it from aging) is the memorable villains. A remake will suffer the same problem.
Old 08-16-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hold on. Hokeyboy wasn't being sarcastic? Or are you guys playing along? Cos now I'm confused.
Old 04-23-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Interesting...

Originally Posted by The Wrap
'Avengers' Star Tom Hiddleston in Early Talks to Lead Relativity's 'The Crow' (Exclusive)
By Jeff Sneider

Tom Hiddleston may be flying from super villain to superhero, as "The Avengers" star is in early discussions to play Eric Draven in Relativity Media's reimagining of "The Crow," individuals close to the project have told TheWrap.

Based on the James O'Barr comic book series that was previously adapted as a 1994 Miramax movie starring Brandon Lee, "The Crow" follows a man who returns from beyond the grave to avenge his death.

Ed Pressman of Pressman Film and Kevin Misher of Misher Films are producing with Relativity CEO Ryan Kavanaugh and Jeff Most. Dan Farah of Farah Films will executive produce with Relativity's Tucker Tooley.

Hiddleston recently had dinner with producers and sent them a makeup test that he did on his own in London. He will undergo a proper makeup test in the coming days, as the character's appearance is important to fans of the franchise, who should be delighted with the casting of a major member of the Marvel universe.

Acclaimed Spanish filmmaker F. Javier Gutierrez ("Before the Fall") is directing "The Crow" from a script by Cliff Dorfman ("Warrior"), though it's possible that other writers will be credited as well.

Production is tentatively scheduled to begin this fall, though the timetable could move slightly depending on several factors.

O'Barr wrote "The Crow" to help him deal with the death of his girlfriend, and it's the story's emotional component that sets it apart from other comic book properties. Hiddleston appealed to producers who were enamored with his ability to project both a light and dark side. He has also displayed gifted physical talents as the villainous Loki in "The Avengers," as well as impressive dramatic chops in the acclaimed indie film "The Deep Blue Sea."

In addition to his turns in "Thor," "The Avengers" and upcoming Marvel sequel "Thor: The Dark World," Hiddleston has worked with top directors such as Steven Spielberg on "War Horse," Woody Allen on "Midnight in Paris" and Jim Jarmusch in "Only Lovers Left Alive." He is also attached to play photographer Robert Capa in an upcoming biopic.

Hiddleston is repped by WME, manager Jon Rubinstein, Hamilton Hodell and attorney Jodi Peikoff. Gutierrez, who is managed by Farah, signed with WME's Dan Aloni and Ari Emanuel earlier this week.
Old 04-23-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Like I said in the Thor 2 thread, I wonder how this'll pan out. Hiddleston definitely has the acting chops to carry the film. But does he have the marketablity to attract enough people to the movie theater?
Old 04-23-13, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is directing this nowadays?
Old 04-23-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

F. Javier Gutiérrez - haven't seen any of his (limited) filmography.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kGEwLEXAARs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-06-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A script review is up. It'll be very different from the previous movie, as expected, but also a huge departure from the comic book as well:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/65517005" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

First Look At THE CROW REBOOT! from Mayimbe Media on Vimeo.

Old 05-06-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Luke Evans is cast as new Crow, btw.
Old 05-06-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd still prefer a female lead. It'd make it far fresher than whatever they're giving us (going by the latino review above).
Old 05-06-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Although 'Draven' quoted some biblical stuff in the original, I still do not like the idea of a reboot anyway.
There is absolutely no reason to reboot at all. The original still stands on it's own.
This is a slap in Brandon's face if you ask me.
Old 05-06-13, 05:48 PM
Banned

James O'Barr was not some "hormonal 20-something" when he wrote and drew that book. His fiance' Bethany had been killed by a drunk driver, and he was consumed by grief. He went off to serve with the U.S. Marines in Germany for a couple of years, drawing combat manuals by day, and hoping to be killed in barfights at night. When he got out of the service, he wanted to kill the driver who ran Bethany down, but that man had already died of natural causes. Left with no avenue for his rage, he channeled it into his artwork, and "The Crow" took him 8 years to finish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.