Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best and worst game to movies.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best and worst game to movies.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best -- Frogger (1992) -- loved the car dodging scene.

Worst -- My Dinner with Andre (1981) -- Would have enjoyed seeing Malle incorporate some of the boss levels into the movie between the dinner courses. Without them the film felt too rushed.
Old 12-24-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Best: CLUE... no one said anything about excluding boardgames, and this movie is a bonafide hi-larious classic.

Worst: Everything else... except SILENT HILL. I dug that one a lot.
Old 12-24-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yes. Yes, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her, so much... it-it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breath...
Old 12-24-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Best -- Frogger (1992) -- loved the car dodging scene.
There was a "Ken Burns' Frogger" parody online years ago, but I can't find it anywhere now.
Old 12-24-08, 02:19 PM

Gekijōban Dōbutsu no Mori - hands down the best game-to-film adaptation EVER.
Old 12-24-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueCC
but Dungeon Siege was tough to sit through.
I had a great time laughing the entire movie. Yeah it sucked, but at least it knew it.
Old 12-24-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best:
Mortal Kombat
DOA
Schindler's List
Hitman
Dig Dug (the remake starring Vin Diesel, not the old one starring Steve McQueen)

Worst:
Star Wars prequels...wait a second - these WERE actual video games playing in the theater.

Is Street Fighter still that bad? I don't even remember it, so maybe it was just fair. If it was really bad, I would have remembered it....

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-24-08 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Best: Silent Hill
Worst: Super Mario Bros.
Old 12-24-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Worst: Super Mario Bros.
Old 12-24-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Good to see Silent Hill get some love. Christophe Gans is a strong visualist and the atmosphere he created in Silent Hill was sufficiently creepy and dread inducing.

On the other hand, Resident Evil: Apocalypse failed on every level. Visually, it was murky and choppy. Nonexistent characterization and minimal story. Total mess, especially compared to the first and third movies.
Old 12-24-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Super Mario Bros. (it really has little to nothing in common with the games beyond character names but it's a guilty pleasure of mine)
Street Fighter (this is incredibly silly fun but a terrible adaptation of its source material)
These are the only two video game adaptations that I have an even faint desire to see again. SF has that great Raul Julia performance and SMB is absolutely deranged, like somebody tricked the studio into fronting $42 million to film his worst fever dreams by pretending he was adapting Mario Brothers.
Old 12-25-08, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser

Yes. Yes, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her, so much... it-it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breath...
That is the best scene in the movie.
Old 12-25-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst: House of the Dead
Old 12-26-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Super Mario Bros. is amazing. So many people here hate it, but I am endlessly amused and fascinated by how horribly it came out. It has reasonably good performances and moves at a fast enough clip, in service of a story that is not in any remote or miniscule way logical, sensical, reasonable or similar to the video game. Not that the Mario games have much of a plot, but it's almost innovative how mutated the concepts in the game have become in the movie. Most of these concepts any logical screenwriter would have left out, because there's no way to make them make much sense in context of the film, but they were used anyway. And of course, even if you ignored the various points at which the movie is meant to be like the game, it's just an insane movie all on its own. It would be amazing, even hard to believe if I was told that the filmmakers, after cramming all the twisted-beyond-recognition Mario details in, had ever considered how the film would be regarded outside of it being a Mario Bros. movie.

I saw someone mentioned Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I like that movie a lot.

Doom is just mediocre, but the first-person sequence is amusing. Resident Evil was a little better than Doom, but not much. Tomb Raider was mediocre as well (worse than Doom), but still watchable. The sequel was unwatchable. Street Fighter was godawful. I hated Silent Hill. I can't think of any others that I've seen.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 12-26-08 at 12:14 AM.