Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 5 Disappointments of 2008

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top 5 Disappointments of 2008

Old 12-20-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
OK, that's all well and good, but I find it hard to believe that anyone honestly thinks it's the very worst movie they have EVER seen in their entire life.
I'm fully aware that on a technical aspect, that it isnt the worst movie ever made, but given the amount of talent involved, I can think of no other movie that I have hated more.

There was not one redeeming quality for me about this movie. Everything in it was horrible - animated groundhogs, fridge nuke, tarzan Shia, cartoon ants, treasure that looked like a rejected mock-up from the skull in House 2, catatonic John Hurt, ever smiling Karen Allen on prozac, aliens, getting hit in the nuts repeatedly while straddling two cars, i could go on and on.

The only thing I can compare this to is maybe Phantom Menace, but even that isnt anywhere close to this debacle. At least phantom menace had some redeeming qualities that made it at least a little entertaining.

Again this is just my opinion. Is it the worst movie ever made? Probably not, but for me I can not think of one movie that I hate more.
Old 12-20-08, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only had one disappointment, and that was The Strangers.

The trailers gave me big hopes, and the movie was just as bad, or worse than The Happening.
Old 12-20-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts
The Dark Knight

It's not that I thought it was a bad movie, I just expected a lot better based on all I had read and heard. A plot full of holes, lapses in logic, a running time that seemed to go on forever, and short shrift given to Two Face really took this one down from great to merely slightly above average for me.
Old 12-21-08, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Quantum of Solace disappointed mainly because Bond films are relatively foolproof. Marc Forster makes maudlin Oscar bait; he was totally wrong here.

Pineapple Express was laughless and joyless.

Australia exposed all the worst of Baz Luhrmann's ADD, headache-inducing style and empty, over the top storytelling.

Doomsday failed on every level. I'm including this because Neil Marshall's The Descent was highly effective and I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic movies. Expected nothing and was STILL disappointed.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Nearly two decades and THIS was the best premise they could come up with?

Others: Street Kings, X-Files 2: I Want to Believe, Repo! A Genetic Opera, Be Kind Rewind.
Old 12-21-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
How anyone could put WALL-E in a worst of list, I'll never know. However, anyone who says the film hits you over the head, over-and-over-and-over again with any kind of heavy handed political message, really read too much into that. That, or the film hit a nerve, and held a mirror up to humanity, which people would rather ignore. Either way, WALL-E ranks as my TOP film of the year. Excellent film!
I wouldn't place it anywhere near my worst list (there are some real winners in that pile), but I would've preferred a cinematic experience where there were zero humans in the movie and just kept it to the robots. I'm sure they could've delivered the same "message" and have it a lot more subtle.