Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2008 Golden Globes Nominations - Movie Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2008 Golden Globes Nominations - Movie Edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Or maybe, just maybe, it's that other movies and television shows were better?
I can't speak for TDK. I've only seen one of the nominated movies (Slumdog) and thought it was much better than TDK and more deserving of any awards it takes in.

However, Lost is indeed the best drama on TV. If not the best its easily better than House (which sucks all sorts of balls). And although I enjoyed it, True Blood wasn't as good.
Old 12-11-08, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are some bad choices overall. Its bullshit Tom Cruise got a nom. for Tropic Thunder. I am a big Cruise fan and never jumped on the bandwagon of those who hate him cause of his antics in real life but he was not good in this movie and incredible awkward and not funny in this movie. A serious lack of love for the Dark Knight and Milk is not cool at all. The Oscars will recognize these films I am confident though so whatever.
I am also disgusted by the failure to Notice Synecdoche New York in the Score, Song and Screenplay categories. This is inexcusable.

Last edited by chris_sc77; 12-11-08 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-11-08, 10:42 AM

i'm also surprised that Sex and the City didn't nominated for Comedy/Musical picture considering how much love the HFP gave the actual TV show during its run.

when it comes to TV shows, HFP loves to gush on the brand new shows
Old 12-11-08, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by beatccr
i'm also surprised that Sex and the City didn't nominated for Comedy/Musical picture considering how much love the HFP gave the actual TV show during its run.

when it comes to TV shows, HFP loves to gush on the brand new shows
No kidding, True Blood is just a pile of crap and they get nominated for best drama not even halfway through the first season?
Old 12-11-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^The season ended two weeks ago.
Old 12-11-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lately, I've found the Oscars to be more "mainstream" than the Golden Globes. The lack of nominations for The Dark Knight isn't too surprising. I just can't believe they nominated Tom Cruise for Tropic Thunder. All his scenes were practically unwatchable in that film.
Old 12-11-08, 11:27 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
How the fuck did Jenny Lumet not get a nom for Screenplay? Kaufman I can understand because Synecdoche threw a lot of people, but Lumet put out the best script this year, adapted or otherwise.
I really didn't like the script that much. I thought it was the weakest aspect of the film.
Old 12-11-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
If the Oscars diss TDK, then look for an all-time low in ratings because no one gives a rat's ass about any of these other movies.
I'm not sure that TDK rabid fanbase makes up much of the Academy viewership. Besides, I think no one in general cares about the Academy Awards except the nominees.

I think Ledger is the only legit shot at a nomination, aside from technical nods. I can't see TDK getting a best pic on the strength of Ledger alone.

Iron Man was just as critically acclaimed and made a ton of money (and I personally enjoyed it a lot more), but there's no outcry no nom for RDJ. I think Ledger's death is playing on the minds of many.

I like Franco's nod for Pineapple Express. I can't normally stand him, but I think he was just plain funny in it.

In the end, why should we really care about celebs patting themselves on the back? An Oscar or lack thereof will not make me enjoy a movie any more or less.
Old 12-11-08, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I'm guessing most people haven't seen any of the other nominees. How many are currently playing in theaters? Just Slumdog?
It doesn't matter because Heath Ledger DIED. That makes TDK the WINNER!
Old 12-11-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The TV category. What season do they look at? True Blood just debuted in September, whereas Lost hasn't started its season yet.
The eligibility is January 1 - December 31.

The Globes love nominating what's "IN" at the moment and usually just drop previous nominees (and especially winners) after a few years. True Blood deserves to be there though.
Old 12-11-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The TV category. What season do they look at? True Blood just debuted in September, whereas Lost hasn't started its season yet.
last season for lost. Did the Shield get any love? Also, you can argue that True Blood got love because
a. its HBO
and
b. its an Alan Ball production
Old 12-11-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some random thoughts:

HFP is always boring as hell (and worthless). There Will Be Blood got only two nominations last year, eight at the Oscars.

Ledger wins. Shoe-in-ality. Regurgitating other thoughts: where the hell is all the other Dark Knight nominations? Bullshit. The Academy will probably give it its dues.

SHOCKED with Tom Cruise's nomination, considering how his role was withheld from marketing. I hope RDJ also gets an Oscar nod.

James Franco deserves that Pineapple Express nom. Best stoner since Spicoli.

After all the positive buzz here about it, I think I have to check out In Bruges now.

Miley Cyrus got a nomination. Come on.

If Mamma Mia! wins, I will take everyone hostage.

If I don't absolutely LOVE Slumdog Millionaire, I'll cry.

Director nominations are weak sauce.

Rourke. Penn. Two men enter. One man leave.
Old 12-11-08, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
If I don't absolutely LOVE Slumdog Millionaire, I'll cry.
If you don't absolutely love Slumdog Millionarie, you have no soul.
Old 12-11-08, 12:22 PM

I'm guessing most people haven't seen any of the other nominees. How many are currently playing in theaters? Just Slumdog?
Whats funny is that Slumdog with all the hype is taking it's sweet time opening in theaters. It's been rolling out since October and I thought with all the hype that it would be out wide by now. Fresno doesn't even get it till the end of the month and The Palm in San Luis which gets a lot of art house films before a lot of other theaters is having problems getting it. It was supost to have opened there at the end of November, but looks more and more to be opening at the beging of next year. Button and Road open on or near Christimas day wide, as does Frost/Nixon. I don't know when The Reader opens. I bet now since it got some noms that it opens wide around the first of next year. I was pretty shocked that there was no real love for Dark Knight. But remember that there wasn't any real love with the HFP for Crash also and look how that turned out. Whats even more of a shock is that Milk only got a nom for best actor. No best picture, screenplay, or director. Seems that The Reader took Milk's place and Revolutionary Road or Frost/Nixon took Dark Knight's place. I don't get why Tom Cruise or Ralph Fiennes are up. Yea Cruise sorta stole the show in Thunder, but where is Josh Brolin for Mlik. He's hands down the only one whom could win over Heath come Oscar time if he's up. And I'm upset also Lost didn't get a nom for best drama over True Blood. I like True Blood for what it is, but it's no way one of the best shows of the year. Lost came back swinging after the slow start and build up that was season 3.
Old 12-11-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While everyone is mad about The Dark Knight getting shunned. What about The Wrestler?
Old 12-11-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

No matter how much I enjoyed The Dark Knight as a life-long Batman fan, a) that sonar sequence, and b) the fact that it's a comic book film will keep it out of the running for best film of the year. I hope it snags an Oscar nomination just for the hell of it, but I'm not expecting anything of the sort.
You know I thought that too about LOTR, that the academy would never give the BP to a Fantasy movie.
Old 12-11-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
I have never seen Ron Howard do anything remotely impressive with a camera. He plays it safe and people reward him for it, and it drives me mad.
What you're referring to is cinematography, not (necessarily) direction. Ron Howard gets some amazing performances out of his actors. Not as easy as it looks. Ask George Lucas.
Old 12-11-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyone shouldn't be all that surprised at the Tom Cruise nomination. Heath Ledger's the star of the hour anyway, HFP knows this, and nominating TomKat nearly guarantees his presence at the ceremony (heightened exposure). Do I think he deserves it? Absolutely not, but it makes sense in a roundabout way.
Old 12-11-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Everyone shouldn't be all that surprised at the Tom Cruise nomination. Heath Ledger's the star of the hour anyway, HFP knows this, and nominating TomKat nearly guarantees his presence at the ceremony (heightened exposure). Do I think he deserves it? Absolutely not, but it makes sense in a roundabout way.
That's funny. I agree with you. In fact, I thought Jennifer Aniston might have gotten nominated for Marley & Me, just in an attempt by the HFP to have a catfight on the red carpet when Brad and Angelina showed up.
Old 12-11-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fact that Milk got only one vote and so did Pineapple Express makes me puzzled.
James Franco for P.E.? Unbelievable.
They should have nominated him for Milk.
Old 12-11-08, 12:57 PM

I'm kinda pissed TDK got pretty much snubbed, although I'm really happy In Bruges got a lot of recognition. At the Oscars though, it will probably be the opposite.
Old 12-11-08, 12:58 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road should have gotten a best supporting over Tom Cruise. Maybe Tom's nomination is a backhand slap at producers?
Old 12-11-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I think Ledger is the only legit shot at a nomination, aside from technical nods. I can't see TDK getting a best pic on the strength of Ledger alone.

Iron Man was just as critically acclaimed and made a ton of money (and I personally enjoyed it a lot more), but there's no outcry no nom for RDJ. I think Ledger's death is playing on the minds of many.
Disagree.

1- TDK wasn't JUST Ledger. It was an excellent film all around. Great performances by Bale, Cain and Oldman and excellent direction. I don't think they all deserve nods. Ledger certainly does and not just because he's dead. I don't think TDK was the best film of the year and I don't think it deserves to WIN Best Film at the Oscars. However, it was one of the best movies of the year and considering how hard they've been pushing for a nomination I was surprised to see it not get it.

2- Iron Man was certainly not as well recieved as TDK. You may think it was better and it certainly was a good movie and got high marks but it wasn't nearly as well recieved as TDK. Also RDJ in Iron Man wasn't even on the same level as Ledger in TDK.

Now RDJ in Tropic Thunder certainly deserves a nomination.
Old 12-11-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeFan
Michael Shannon in Revolutionary Road should have gotten a best supporting over Tom Cruise. Maybe Tom's nomination is a backhand slap at producers?
Cruise was nominated in the Musical/Comedy category. Ralph Fiennes took Shannon's spot in the Dramatic category.
Old 12-11-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Cruise was nominated in the Musical/Comedy category. Ralph Fiennes took Shannon's spot in the Dramatic category.
Supporting awards are not broken into Comedy and Drama categories.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.