DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Lost City of Z (D: James Gray) S: Hunnam, Pattinson, Miller (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/545506-lost-city-z-d-james-gray-s-hunnam-pattinson-miller.html)

NoirFan 12-10-08 05:13 PM

Lost City of Z (D: James Gray) S: Hunnam, Pattinson, Miller

From Variety:

Paramount has set "We Own the Night" helmer James Gray to direct "The Lost City of Z." Gray will adapt the David Grann book for Brad Pitt to star in as British soldier and spy Percy Fawcett.

The nonfiction book by Grann, a staffer at the New Yorker, will be published in April by Doubleday. Paramount acquired it earlier this year for Pitt to produce through his Par-based Plan B banner (Daily Variety, April 1).

Fawcett left Victorian society to explore in the Amazon, and he became obsessed by the idea of an advanced civilization he called Z, which he believed existed in the depths of the jungle. Along with his son, Fawcett headed into the jungle in 1925 in search of Z and was never seen again.

"This is a terrific opportunity to do something entirely different for me," Gray said. "It is a story that will be told with an epic scale, with a main character who is larger than life."
IMDB

dpz301 12-11-08 08:30 PM

this sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

dex14 05-07-14 10:53 AM

Re: Lost City of Z (Gray, 2010): Brad Pitt as 1920's Amazon explorer

“’The Lost City of Z’ looks like it will happen,” Gray said with his casual cautiousness. “That's got Benedict Cumberbatch [in the lead] who's perfectly cast. I've raised the money for that, and I may go do that in January.” (Though last night at BAMcinematek, during a Q&A which yours truly moderated, Gray said September). Co-starring Robert Pattinson, who Gray confirmed is still attached and recently also said the film would likely shoot in Jan, “The Lost City Of Z” is set in 1925 and centers on a legendary British explorer who ventured into the Amazon jungle in search of a fabled civilization and never again returned.

Gray said the shooting locations will likely be the U.K., and for the jungle sequences, Colombia. What kind of movie should we expect? Last we spoke Gray teased the movie as “epic and hallucinogenic.”

“People have asked me about ‘Apocalypse Now’ and those kinds of movies,” he admitted about reference points for the movie. “Of course those are all great and they’re a huge inspiration and so is [David] Lean. But I’m really trying, the older I get to forget the kind of approach which I've had. On the last two movies I've watched far fewer movies beforehand and I'm trying to come at the pieces as organically as I can and not think of other movies. Now of course unconsciously that shit's always going to come out, I'm always going to rip off something.”
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...-more-20140506

Solid Snake 05-07-14 11:01 AM

re: Lost City of Z (D: James Gray) S: Hunnam, Pattinson, Miller

Cumberbatch? I'm there.

Osiris3657 05-07-14 01:41 PM

I read that book a couple summers ago. It was pretty good. I like the director saying he plans to make the movie "hallucinogenic"

arminius 05-07-14 01:56 PM

I liked the conclusion of the book of what constituted the actual wealth in the city. I'd like to see this.

GoldenJCJ 05-07-14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12099724)
Cumberbatch? I'm there.

Cumberbatch has the charisma of a banana slug. I'm not sure why everyone goes so crazy for him.

DaveyJoe 05-07-14 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12100029)
Cumberbatch has the charisma of a banana slug. I'm not sure why everyone goes so crazy for him.

Agreed, I get all the love for guys like Fassbender, but I can't understand why everybody suggests Cumberbatch for everything these days.

Giles 05-15-14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12100049)
Agreed, I get all the love for guys like Fassbender, but I can't understand why everybody suggests Cumberbatch for everything these days.

I think it's THAT voice of his ;)

and what, it only took five years til someone decided to film a movie based on this book ?? When I first read it back in 2009 I thought it was ripe for film adaptation.

dex14 02-03-15 03:28 PM

Charlie Hunnam will star opposite Robert Pattinson and Sienna Miller in The Lost City of Z, Plan B’s adaptation of the book by David Grann.

MICA Entertainment has come on board to finance the drama, which James Gray is directing. Sierra / Affinity is continuing international sales of the title at this year’s European Film Market.

Hunnam is replacing Benedict Cumberbatch, who was previously set to star but is now due to topline Marvel’s Doctor Strange movie, among other projects.

In the true-life drama, Hunnam will portray British explorer Col. Percival Fawcett, who disappeared in 1925 while searching for a mysterious city in the Amazon.

SuckaMC 02-03-15 09:17 PM

Re: Lost City of Z (D: James Gray) S: Hunnam, Pattinson, Miller

Soooooo, if they were never heard from again, they just gonna make shit up? Better make it fantastical!

d2cheer 02-04-15 11:46 AM

Charlie Hunnam why are they trying to make this idiot a star?

Solid Snake 02-05-15 06:21 AM

He's actally a good actor. Miller is mediocre as hell. she was bad in American Sniper.

Rob V 02-05-15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12385806)

I like him... I don't get all the Cumberbatch love though.

Defiant1 02-05-15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12386520)
He's actally a good actor. Miller is mediocre as hell. she was bad in American Sniper.

His American accent is atrocious.

hanshotfirst1138 02-06-15 11:06 AM

When I saw him in PR, I had no idea he was English, he sounded good enough to me :shrug:

hanshotfirst1138 04-05-16 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12385806)

I am reliably informed by one of my female friends that he is the sexiest individual in possession of a Y chromosome currently residing on this planet.

banthafett 04-05-16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12768998)
I am reliably informed by one of my female friends that he is the sexiest individual in possession of a Y chromosome currently residing on this planet.

Is that how you were told? And if so, did you smack her?

EddieMoney 04-06-16 08:44 AM

I like James Gray quite a bit. I will see this.

inri222 04-06-16 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12770076)
I like James Gray quite a bit. I will see this.

James Gray has yet to make a bad or mediocre film. I will eventually watch this but I can wait for blu or streaming.

EddieMoney 04-06-16 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12770103)
James Gray has yet to make a bad or mediocre film. I will eventually watch this but I can wait for blu or streaming.

Agreed. I have been following him since "Little Odessa" (which I love) and he always puts out quality films.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 04-06-16 10:03 AM

I havent read anything in this thread but just wanted to ask is this a sequel to Congo?

http://basementrejects.com/wp-conten...ing-review.jpg

hanshotfirst1138 04-06-16 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by banthafett (Post 12769603)

No, she just told me he's hot.

arminius 04-06-16 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man (Post 12770137)
I havent read anything in this thread but just wanted to ask is this a sequel to Congo?

http://basementrejects.com/wp-conten...ing-review.jpg

Yes, it isn't.

Osiris3657 04-07-16 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by banthafett (Post 12769603)

He should smack himself for coming up with that. That was one of the dorkiest, nerdiest things I've ever read.