Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boat That Rocked (Curtis, 2009): 60's pirate radio comedy w/ P.S. Hoffman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plot summary:
Inspired by the British pirate radio revolution in the '60s, the majority of the film's shoot will take place in a large rusty metal fishing trawler moored off the coast of England in the very waters that kept the rock of the '60s booming into the U.K.

In 1966 -- arguably British pop music's finest era -- the BBC played only two hours of rock and roll every week. But pirate radio blasted rock and pop from the high seas 24 hours a day. And 25 million people -- more than half the population of Britain -- listened to these pirates every single day.

"The Boat That Rocked" is an ensemble comedy in which the romance takes place between the young people of the '60s and pop music. It's about a band of rogue DJs that captivated Britain, playing the music that defined a generation and standing up to a government that, incomprehensibly, preferred jazz.

Leading the cast are Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Count, a big, brash, American god of the airwaves; Bill Nighy as Quentin, the boss of Radio Rock -- a pirate radio station in the middle of the North Sea that's populated by an eclectic crew of rock and roll DJs; Rhys Ifans as Gavin, the greatest DJ in Britain who has just returned from his drug tour of America to reclaim his rightful position; Nick Frost as Dave, an ironic, intelligent and cruelly funny co-broadcaster; and Kenneth Branagh (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Hamlet) as British Minister Dormandy, a fearsome government official out for blood against the drug takers and lawbreakers of a once-great nation.
The director, Richard Curtis, has been responsible for some of the more odious films to come from across the pond - Bridget Jones' Diary, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill and a few others - but the ensemble cast looks good and the subject matter has always been of interest to me, though I doubt we'll get any in-depth analysis of the significant cultural importance of pirate radio in the mid-1960's.

Trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dFcPRl2iAaI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dFcPRl2iAaI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IMDB
Old 12-06-08, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This looks fun. I am a huge fan of Curtis' Love, Actually and the cast is great for this one.
Old 12-06-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll see anything with Philip Seymour Hoffman. This is no exception.
Old 03-05-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Boat That Rocked (Curtis, 2009): 60's pirate radio comedy w/ P.S. Hoffman

Clip
Old 03-07-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Boat That Rocked (Curtis, 2009): 60's pirate radio comedy w/ P.S. Hoffman

Four featurettes
Old 03-15-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Official website with two clips
Old 04-01-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety review:
Sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, plus a heavy dose of Swinging ‘60s nostalgia, fuel “The Boat That Rocked,” Richard Curtis’ hymn to the wild days of U.K. pirate radio. More reminiscent of his eccentric TV comedies (“The Vicar of Dibley,” “Mr. Bean”) than his bigscreen romancers “Four Weddings and a Funeral” and “Notting Hill,” Curtis’ second outing as writer-director throws together a large cast of wackos on a boat off the east coast of Blighty. Pic generally stays afloat on the strength of its characters but sometimes threatens to sink under its overlong running time and vignettish structure.
Old 04-02-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is a cool premise for a movie but by the look of the trailer it appears that it was executed poorly.
Old 04-23-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

U.S. Trailer
Old 06-26-09, 01:22 AM
Banned

DAMMIT!!!!!

The Boat That Rocked Changes Studio, Release Date
Source: Variety
June 26, 2009

Focus Features is taking over domestic distribution of Working Title's The Boat That Rocked from parent studio Universal Pictures and is working with filmmaker Richard Curtis to create a leaner version for American audiences after the film's mixed run overseas.

Universal was set to release the ensemble comedy in the U.S. on Aug. 28, but Variety says that Focus has pushed back the release to some time in November.

The film's so-so performance at the international box office this spring marked a rare disappointment for Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner's Working Title. The film, which cost upward of $50 million to produce, was expected to play like a broad comedy. International gross to date is $25.1 million.

The trade says that Focus president James Schamus said his team is working with Curtis to trim about 20 minutes from the film, which originally ran 129 minutes. A chief complaint from critics was the film's length.

Great. One of the films i was most looking forward to is getting raped. There goes my enthusiasm for this. If 20 minutes is indeed cut I swear they will lose my $10 at theaters and i will wait to see the longer version on DVD.
Old 06-26-09, 02:06 PM

NO!!!!

I ws so looking forward to this movie. One of my most anticipated for the summer. And now, they are screwing with it more. Makes me wish they released it at the same time it opened in England. What's worse, we are the last country getting it, and I always thought that was a mistake.

Someone needs to tell the fools at Universal that trimming is the wrong thing to do. We have seen what has happened with films like that and most if not all have been disasters.

Besides, Love Actually was released at a length that was 6 minutes longer, and I remember hearing a lot of people complain about its length at the time of release too.

Either way, I will say it now, it was going to bomb one way or another. I know the general public is just not interested in seeing it, and anyone I've tried to tell about the movie hasn't even heard about it.

Still, recut or not, I will still see it on a big screen, as long as Universal promises us the full International version on DVD.

BTW, if you guys want to see some great clips from the movie, go the film's UK site linked below, which has a lot of good stuff, including an extended trailer.

http://www.theboatthatrocked.co.uk
Old 06-26-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

For those with multi-region players, the DVD and Blu-ray are up for pre-order at Amazon UK.
Old 07-28-09, 07:21 PM
Banned

I cant even believe this is true but i regretfully must say it is.
Universal/Focus has not only butchered the film for American audiences they have RENAMED the film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats right everyone. This is not a joke. The boat the Rocked is now known as Pirate Radio (for stateside distribution).

And thats bout all i can say I guess.

I guess Universal is getting desperate for every dollar they can get a rather disappointing summer.
Old 07-28-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who gives a shit that they renamed it?
Old 07-28-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-29-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He does have a point. The title change is pretty goddamn lame, especially when the trailer has the original title.
Old 07-29-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The recutting and the title change make me way less enthusiastic about this one. Not that I would have seen it in theaters, but movies from Working Title are always great, this seems to be the only one that's had trouble. Let's hope that the DVD gets the original cut.
Old 07-30-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking of just picking up the Blu Ray on amazon.co.uk Will the PS3 play it? Shockingly, I have 1000+ DVD's but never have gotten anything imported before. I've been wanting to see this for a while and all of this talk of re-editing it plus having to wait until some undisclosed time in winter to see it makes me think getting the UK version might be the best bet.
Old 09-07-09, 03:49 AM

Here's a little update for all of those who might still be interested in The Boat That Rocked:

Movie is set for release with its title change on November 13th. As of now, there is no new trailer or any indication of what the final runtime will be on its release day. Hopefully we will know something else soon.
Old 09-07-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Just a fun movie and probably has the best songs of any movie ever in it
Old 09-07-09, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Saw this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Just a fun movie and probably has the best songs of any movie ever in it
I wholeheartedly agree. I will still see the recut American version on the big screen in November, but I got a chance to see the International version a while back and I was greatly impressed with it as well.

As I watched it, I began to wonder how the studio is going to change it. It seems near impossible with the way it is structured (almost like an episodic movie). The only way I see Focus Features getting around that one is to take something out entirely, which I will say is the last thing I want to see.

But yes, such a terrific fun film with the best soundtrack of the year so far (and this is coming from someone who loved the (500) Days of Summer soundtrack a great deal too). It's so hard to resist.
Old 09-07-09, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
Here's a little update for all of those who might still be interested in The Boat That Rocked:

Movie is set for release with its title change on November 13th. As of now, there is no new trailer or any indication of what the final runtime will be on its release day. Hopefully we will know something else soon.
Title change? Why is it need of a change?
Old 09-08-09, 12:41 AM

Man that sucks for you guys not to get the proper film, I saw it a few weeks back and it's the best film I've seen this year after Gran Torino and yeah it was a little tiny bit long, but I liked it that much I let it slide.
Old 09-08-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo

I saw a new trailer this weekend when I saw "Extract", and it had the new title on it.
Old 09-08-09, 02:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

which is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.