Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boat That Rocked (Curtis, 2009): 60's pirate radio comedy w/ P.S. Hoffman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Boat That Rocked (Curtis, 2009): 60's pirate radio comedy w/ P.S. Hoffman

Old 11-05-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Boat That Rocked (Curtis, 2009): 60's pirate radio comedy w/ P.S. Hoffman

Well I just watched the UK cut.

It's... really sappy and cheesy. Like dives headlong into it.

There are plenty of moments and good performances abound, but the film drags on forever.
Old 11-06-09, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Boat That Rocked (Curtis, 2009): 60's pirate radio comedy w/ P.S. Hoffman

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Well I just watched the UK cut.

It's... really sappy and cheesy. Like dives headlong into it.

There are plenty of moments and good performances abound, but the film drags on forever.

So your reaction is kind of in the middle it seems?

EDIT: By the way, I've been to a few movie theatre sites tonight, and I have found out that Pirate Radio has indeed been recut. The new runtime is listed at 115 minutes. I don't know how Curtis worked with the studio to get it down, but it makes me wonder what went out of the film with the editing.

Last edited by Nicholas Vargo; 11-06-09 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the version I watched was 135 min in length.

Some editing could possibly help the film.
Old 11-06-09, 04:13 PM

I remembered being excited for this a while back when I saw the cast, but had totally forgotten about it until I saw a TV spot the other day. This does look pretty cool, like a quirky funny, lighthearted movie that I would defintiely like to see.
Old 11-10-09, 09:24 PM

Well, another update just days before its release:

The film has indeed been recut (according to James Berardinelli's positive review, it is now 15 minutes shorter), however, I have no idea what has been taken out at all.
Old 11-10-09, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what's the word on the versions? Shorter is sweeter or Bigger is always better (at least for this flick)?
Old 11-11-09, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't impressed with the longer version. Frankly I don't see how a movie I would have been fond of could be made of this film.

The whole tone of the film was off. Silly, cheesy, sappy stuff. Lot's of 'how crazy we are' stuff and lots of talk of drugs, but little to no drug usage and not much craziness... I guess because that would be less silly and cheesy?
Old 11-12-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw a sneak of this in Seattle. Yes, it is sub 2 hours, but it's also really fun. It does come across as a bunch of vignettes showing how crazy they are, but they're really funny characters, so I had no problem with it.

The packed house was really into it the whole time and kept applauding during the excellent credits.
Old 11-13-09, 04:00 AM

Just saw the midnight screening no more than about a half hour ago.

Quite enjoyed it. In some ways, Curtis has improved the film for American audiences, but the only ones who won't notice the changes are the ones who go in blind to it.

Since I have already seen the UK version, some of the changes benefit the film highly, but some of them do some harm to the pic. But in many ways, they are all minor and don't affect the film as a whole.

Do I recommend that you see the American recut? Absolutely. It's still a highly entertaining comedy that can illicit laughs from just one person being in the theater (I should know. I was the only one in the theater at the midnight screening). And for a recut, it's one that they actually got right for the most part.
Old 11-13-09, 03:35 PM

What was with the repeated shots of people sitting on toilets?!? Kinda weird.

I'm assuming it was just the theater I was at but did the film print look really dim to anyone else? Even when it was supposed to be brightly lit my screen looked dim.
Old 11-14-09, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
What was with the repeated shots of people sitting on toilets?!? Kinda weird.

I'm assuming it was just the theater I was at but did the film print look really dim to anyone else? Even when it was supposed to be brightly lit my screen looked dim.
No, it was just your theater. Looked amazing to me (and to think I've now seen the American cut twice now)

Speaking of seeing it the second time now, I have to say that the changes are now growing on me. And now having seen it with an audience (of abut 40 people or so), it helps that they enjoyed the film a great deal as well. Probably not as much as myself, but there was a lot of laughter that came from my second screening.

Honestly, I will say that either version will do, but it would be nice if the US cut would get some more love. It's pretty damn good (and we can thank Richard Curtis for that. He personally oversaw the reedit of the film). I say that since it seems like almost no one has seen it (judging from Friday's numbers).
Old 11-16-09, 08:57 PM

So Pirate Radio bombed here in the states (grossing 2.9 million over the weekend). In my mind, this is probably the first real bomb Richard Curtis has had in his career. He is usually much luckier than this).

Here's hoping though that the 135-minute International cut makes its way to DVD and Blu-Ray here in the US!
Old 11-17-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - I just got back from this and REALLY didn't like it. Montage after montage.

I think it was trying to be like an Empire Records sort of movie, but failed on every level.
Old 12-31-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally saw this the other day at the dollar theater (for free no less).

I enjoyed it for what it was; but I feel the film could've been a lot better. The film honestly felt like "skit" after "skit" with the DJs on the boat. No real narrative to tie it all together with the exception of Carl trying to lose his virginity or find out the identity of his father along with the government trying to shut down the boat, which to be honest, were the weakest parts of the film.

I personally would've preferred a ninety minute film about the hijinks of the DJs on the boat.

However, as already mentioned, the soundtrack was near amazing.