Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rate the Film
3
5.45%
21
38.18%
11
20.00%
2
3.64%
0
0%
0
0%
I'm going to wait for DVD.
9
16.36%
I'm never going to watch this movie.
9
16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Old 12-26-08, 12:54 PM
  #26  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,008
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I thought it was quite good. I'd give it a 4.5/5 if given the option. You could call it Mission: Impossible 4 if you wanted to, but with the actual mission being impossible.
Old 12-26-08, 03:27 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,874
Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
What was it Cruise yelled at the end? I didn't quite catch it...

I also thought it was very good... 3.5 out of 4.
Old 12-26-08, 03:47 PM
  #28  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,008
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
What was it Cruise yelled at the end? I didn't quite catch it...
"Long live our holy Germany!" which were evidently Stauffenberg's last words.
Old 12-28-08, 08:00 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I liked it. And I was pretty impressed by how closely it stuck to the actual story, although I was surprised by how General Rommel's implication in the conspiracy was left out entirely (although falsely accused as it turned out, which lead to his forced suicide). And also how the earlier plot to have a suicide assassination by Axel von dem Bussche was left out too. I guess they didn't want to extend the running time with these other subplots.

4/5 stars
Old 12-29-08, 11:24 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Un-Happy Valley, PA
Posts: 2,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review from other Thread

I thought they handled the language translation issues well. The opening has the text on screen in german and fading into english. The dialog does the same.

Overall, a good not great flick. This was 1 in a 3 movie marathon on the day after Christmas. Enjoyed the historical grandeur of some of the parts. Liked the tension in some scenes (even knowing how the whole thing turns out). Thought many of the supporting cast were excellent. Cruise did fine. A typical Cruise performance. Not awarding winning but effective.

I would give this a rating of B or B+.


PS: Biggeest distraction was the lady with the infant three seats down from us. Overall a well-behaved infant, but the hiccups for about 10 minutes sure were distracting. Then dad had to check his texts about 3/5ths of the way through the movie. I give this family a D-.

I still cannot fathom how someone can rationalize taking an infant to a theater. First, you cannot guarantee that the child will not become a distraction to others, even if the child is extremely well behaved. In this case the child was well behaved and only made noise during the hiccup incident. Had the family not been sitting next to our family, I may not have been disturbed, and many of those in our theater for this show undoubtedly were not distrubed by the child. However, they were sitting there, I was disturbed for a significant portion of the film, and I feel like this impacted my overall enjoyment of the film. I paid more money than the family with the infant (unless they paid for the infant, which I doubt) to see the film of my choice, and I have an expectation that I should be able to watch the film without the introduction of a potential serious distraction by third parties. Second, the volume levels in the theater may be damaging to an infants developing aural centers. I tested the pre-shows volume levels using a decibel meter (don't ask) and was getting a solid 70 during the "quiet" pre-show music and clips. During the explosion scenes, I would easily imagine decibel levels in excess of 95-105.

My 15 y/o daughter commented on the situation afterwords, as well. At least she seems to have learned some of the manners we tried to instill.
Old 12-29-08, 03:41 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it but found that 30 minutes in the first half of the movie dragged quite a bit, lots of talky parts with people who are barely introduced (if at all, some people during the final segment were barely in it at all) but the last hour was fairly entertaining... the person I saw it with thought it was the most boring movie of the year and was pretty pissed at me.
Old 12-30-08, 02:58 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,525
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really enjoyed it. I saw it tonight, surprisingly with a packed house of mostly high school kids who seemed in to it as well.

Great acting, Cruise was on top of his game. I never knew the back story of the Valkyrie project or whatever you want to call it so it was really intriguing to me since I'm a bit of a history buff.

I'd say one of the better films of the year.
Old 12-30-08, 12:37 PM
  #33  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thriller. The accent nonsense shouldn't even be up for discussion. I'll take a pile of differing accents over something like Defiance, where everyone is doing one bad one.

Singer is too strong of a director to allow the accent situation to get in the way.
Old 12-31-08, 06:55 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Just South of Nowhere
Posts: 632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol so did Bryan Singer just raid the set of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels when casting or what?
Old 01-01-09, 12:19 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
ultimaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,743
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wife and I saw it this afternoon and both really enjoyed it. I was really impressed with how well Singer and co. were able to create a real sense of tension and drama in spite of already knowing the outcomes of the events depicted. In particular, I thought the scenes at the Wolf's Lair were excellent.
Old 01-03-09, 10:01 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 851
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atxbomber
The wife and I saw it this afternoon and both really enjoyed it. I was really impressed with how well Singer and co. were able to create a real sense of tension and drama in spite of already knowing the outcomes of the events depicted. In particular, I thought the scenes at the Wolf's Lair were excellent.
Also saw it with the wife last night. Great movie? No. But definitely very good. Definitely check this out on DVD. Once the story reaches the Wolf's Lair, it really takes off. Some VERY good cinematography as well, especially during the few moments where Cruise and his men are successfully carrying out Operation: Valkyrie.

I really wish more war movies were made without actually involving war, itself. This was a very good political thriller set during WWII.
Old 01-03-09, 04:01 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,937
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back, liked this very much. I voted 4/5. The accents didn't bother me at all, I actually liked that the first few lines were in German just to kind of set the tone, then dropped it. I'd rather hope to get past the accents (which I easily did) than hear so many good actors slog through fake German accents.

The theater was sold out this afternoon, mainly older crowd but shockingly well behaved.
Old 01-03-09, 05:39 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Valley of Megiddo
Posts: 9,570
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One of the best Tom Cruise films I have ever seen! I don't like Cruise as an actor so that is probably not saying very much but I really enjoyed this movie.
Old 01-12-09, 06:27 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,325
Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Brack
I thought it was quite good. I'd give it a 4.5/5 if given the option. You could call it Mission: Impossible 4 if you wanted to, but with the actual mission being impossible.
I agree. I wanted to give it 4.5/5 as well. Terrific film. There was a critics roundtable on "At the Movies" and all but one gave it a thumbs down mainly because of Cruise. They liked the film enough, but said he was the reason not to see it (!???) Hey, I think the guy is a nut job in real life like the next person, but he was pretty damn good in this. And the film was very stylish and well written. I'm glad it's doing well at the box-office. It deserves it. I'll be picking this up on Blu-Ray for sure. Singer never disappoints me.
Old 01-19-09, 09:11 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,967
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I agree. I wanted to give it 4.5/5 as well. Terrific film. There was a critics roundtable on "At the Movies" and all but one gave it a thumbs down mainly because of Cruise. They liked the film enough, but said he was the reason not to see it (!???) Hey, I think the guy is a nut job in real life like the next person, but he was pretty damn good in this. And the film was very stylish and well written. I'm glad it's doing well at the box-office. It deserves it. I'll be picking this up on Blu-Ray for sure. Singer never disappoints me.
I pretty much agree with all you said. I am not a Cruise fan but he was very good in this. It showed that the killing part was just the first and really easiest part of the plan. Trying to take over the government without fighting breaking out and taking control of the Wehrmacht was a huge task. And they came so close. I also liked that they made an effort on the equipment. The aircraft, half-tracks, tank and other vehicles were either actual or pretty good mock ups. I will defintley see this again.
Old 01-19-09, 10:33 AM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 345
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I agree. I wanted to give it 4.5/5 as well. Terrific film. There was a critics roundtable on "At the Movies" and all but one gave it a thumbs down mainly because of Cruise. They liked the film enough, but said he was the reason not to see it (!???)
That was the worst display of film criticism I've ever seen. "Well, we know what happens, so it couldn't possibly build suspense." You. Are. A. Fucknut. I wanted to strangle all five of them. It's about how a film is structured. Do they have the same criticisms for book adaptations? Probably not; I don't think any of them can read. I like how they actually said the eye-patch was ridiculous, and shit on Cruise's lack of accent when all the British people spoke with slight variations of their normal accents. God I miss Ebert, and even Roeper. Roeper was a tool, but he knew a little something about something.

Last edited by Sanjuro37; 01-19-09 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 03:15 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,325
Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
That was the worst display of film criticism I've ever seen. "Well, we know what happens, so it couldn't possibly build suspense." You. Are. A. Fucknut. I wanted to strangle all five of them. It's about how a film is structured. Do they have the same criticisms for book adaptations? Probably not; I don't think any of them can read. I like how they actually said the eye-patch was ridiculous, and shit on Cruise's lack of accent when all the British people spoke with slight variations of their normal accents. God I miss Ebert, and even Roeper. Roeper was a tool, but he knew a little something about singing.
Heh heh. Actually Roeper is a pretty cool guy. Have you ever seen or heard him on Stern? He's actually really funny. Sure, I didn't agree with a lot of his reviews. Hell, I miss Gene Siskel. Now that guy could talk film.
Old 01-19-09, 09:12 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 345
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Hell, I miss Gene Siskel. Now that guy could talk film.
Siskel rocked. I don't know why they don't put his stuff online like the Sun-Times did for Ebert. I shudder to think a paper as big as the Tribune wouldn't have an archive.

EDIT: also I was wrong. Valkyrie wasn't the worst bit of criticism I've seen. I just watched that infamous roundup for The Women where Lyons dropped those immortal words (I can't even type the sentence out, but you know what it is). Almost snapped my laptop in half in rage.
Old 01-19-09, 09:34 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,325
Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
Siskel rocked. I don't know why they don't put his stuff online like the Sun-Times did for Ebert. I shudder to think a paper as big as the Tribune wouldn't have an archive.

EDIT: also I was wrong. Valkyrie wasn't the worst bit of criticism I've seen. I just watched that infamous roundup for The Women where Lyons dropped those immortal words (I can't even type the sentence out, but you know what it is). Almost snapped my laptop in half in rage.

Please share. I didn't see or hear about that. But I read somewhere that Lyons is the most hated film critic. By all the other professional critics.
Old 01-19-09, 10:55 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 345
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Please share. I didn't see or hear about that. But I read somewhere that Lyons is the most hated film critic. By all the other professional critics.
He said, and I quote, "I like women, but I didn't like THE WOMEN!" At which point I blacked out and woke up in Orlando 12 hours later covered in blood. How do you say something as utterly nonsensical and stupid as that and still have a job. I almost wish he said something genuinely offensive like "This movie is about women trying to find themselves, which is silly because they never look in the kitchen" because I would have been less outraged than I was when I heard that. And the look of smug "I just made a joke there" satisfaction on his face- no, I'm not talking about this anymore.
Old 01-19-09, 11:54 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,325
Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Valkyrie Review (dir. Singer, Cruise)

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
He said, and I quote, "I like women, but I didn't like THE WOMEN!" At which point I blacked out and woke up in Orlando 12 hours later covered in blood. How do you say something as utterly nonsensical and stupid as that and still have a job. I almost wish he said something genuinely offensive like "This movie is about women trying to find themselves, which is silly because they never look in the kitchen" because I would have been less outraged than I was when I heard that. And the look of smug "I just made a joke there" satisfaction on his face- no, I'm not talking about this anymore.

Oh my God. I'm so embarrassed for him. You know, his dad is kind of a tool too. I see that apple didn't fall too far from the nerd tree.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.