DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   National Board of Review 2008 Winners (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/545062-national-board-review-2008-winners.html)

sauce07 12-04-08 02:18 PM

National Board of Review 2008 Winners

• Best Film: Slumdog Millionaire

• Best Director: David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

• Best Actor: Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino

• Best Actress: Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married

• Best Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, Milk

• Best Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

• Best Foreign Foreign Language Film: Mongol

• Best Documentary: Man on Wire

• Best Animated Feature: WALL-E

• Best Ensemble Cast: Doubt

• Breakthrough Performance by an Actor: Dev Patel, Slumdog Millionaire

• Breakthrough Performance by an Actress: Viola Davis, Doubt

• Best Directorial Debut: Courtney Hunt, Frozen River

• Best Original Screenplay: Nick Schenk, Gran Torino

• Best Adapted Screenplay: Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire and Eric Roth, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

• Spotlight Award: Melissa Leo, Frozen River and Richard Jenkins, The Visitor

• The BVLGARI Award for NBR Freedom of Expression: Trumbo

• Top Ten Films: (In alphabetical order) BURN AFTER READING, CHANGELING, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, THE DARK KNIGHT, DEFIANCE, FROST/NIXON, GRAN TORINO, MILK, WALL-E, THE WRESTLER

• Top Five Foreign Language Films: (In alphabetical order) EDGE OF HEAVEN, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, ROMAN DE GUERRE, A SECRET, WALTZ WITH BASHIR

• Top Five Documentary Films (In alphabetical order) AMERICAN TEEN, THE BETRAYAL (NERAKHOON), DEAR ZACHARY, ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE WORLD, ROMAN POLANSKI: WANTED AND DESIRED,

• William K. Everson Film History Award: Molly Haskell and Andrew Sarris

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0620718/

wendersfan 12-04-08 02:59 PM

The thought that there were (at most) nine better films than <b>Burn After Reading</b> released in a given year is really depressing.

Supermallet 12-04-08 02:59 PM

Really? Josh Brolin in Milk? Having just watched that last night, I was sure that performance wouldn't win any awards at all. Love seeing The Dark Knight on there, though.

chris_sc77 12-04-08 03:05 PM

Kinda surprised to see Burn after Reading make the top 10 list. It was good and all but top 10? Not really. Also if the Best film is Slumdog Millionaire how come it didnt make the top 10.?

Supermallet 12-04-08 03:27 PM

It would be redundant to list the best picture winner in the later list.

sauce07 12-04-08 03:49 PM

should we start a generic end of year awards thread? this is just the start of alot of lists.

Groucho 12-04-08 03:56 PM

Apparently, Slumdog Millionaire directed itself.

PopcornTreeCt 12-04-08 03:57 PM

After watching Mongol last night, I totally disagree. I haven't seen any of the other foreign films listed, but it wouldn't take much to be better than Mongol.

I haven't seen much of the films listed yet but so far their award for Clint Eastwood and exclusion of In Bruges has me skeptical.

NoirFan 12-04-08 04:58 PM

I had forgotten about The Visitor, been meaning to check that one out.

MoviePage 12-05-08 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9111674)
I haven't seen much of the films listed yet but so far their award for Clint Eastwood and exclusion of In Bruges has me skeptical.

Get used to it -- there's a lot more of that to come, unfortunately.

Daytripper 12-05-08 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9111674)
After watching Mongol last night, I totally disagree. I haven't seen any of the other foreign films listed, but it wouldn't take much to be better than Mongol.

No shit! Clint Eastwood Best Actor? "Gran Torino" one of the year's 10 Best!? Seriously?? I'll reserve final judgement on both until I see the film. But the mere fact that "In Bruges" wasn't included in the Top 10 is total bullshit. And "Burn After Reading" and "Changeling" were? Give me a break.

But I disagree with you on "Mongol". It deserves all it's accolades IMO.

rkndkn 12-05-08 06:42 PM

Glad to see Melissa Leo get recognition for her wonderful work in "Frozen River".

NoirFan 12-05-08 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9111670)
Apparently, Slumdog Millionaire directed itself.

Since the film was co-directed by Boyle and Loveleen Tandan, would they then share any Best Director nomination/win the film would receive?