DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Disney Family Classics on TCM this month (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/544977-disney-family-classics-tcm-month.html)

Grimm1 12-03-08 03:18 PM

Disney Family Classics on TCM this month

I think I saw almost all of these in the movie theater as a kid. It will be interesting to see how some of them stand up to the test of time and to watch them through adult eyes. They span the 50's, 60's and 70's. Guess I'll need to clear some space off the TiVo. :)

TCM (Turner Classic Movies)

Dec 7th Sunday
12:00 PM Treasure Island (1950)
A young boy and a pirate clash over buried treasure. Cast: Bobby Driscoll, Robert Newton, Basil Sydney. Dir: Byron Haskin. C-96 mins, TV-G, CC

1:45 PM Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
Stranded on a deserted island, a close-knit family creates a tropical paradise. Cast: John Mills, Dorothy McGuire, James MacArthur. Dir: Ken Annakin. C-126 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

4:00 PM 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)
A renegade sea captain uses a pioneering submarine to force peace on the world. Cast: Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas. Dir: Richard Fleischer. C-127 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

6:15 PM Old Yeller (1958)
A frontier boy develops close ties with a yellow dog. Cast: Dorothy McGuire, Fess Parker, Tommy Kirk. Dir: Robert Stevenson. C-84 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM Parent Trap, The (1961)
Twins separated by divorce plot to bring their parents back together. Cast: Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith. Dir: David Swift. C-129 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

10:15 PM Pollyanna (1960)
An orphan's relentless optimism changes lives in a sleepy small town. Cast: Jane Wyman, Hayley Mills, Richard Egan. Dir: David Swift. C-134 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

12:30 AM Barefoot Executive, The (1971)
A young man discovers a chimp with a knack for picking winning TV programs. Cast: Kurt Russell, Joe Flynn, Harry Morgan. Dir: Robert Butler. C-96 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

Dec 14th Sunday
12:00 PM Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The (1970)
A problem student accidentally mind melds with a super computer. Cast: Bing Russell, Cesar Romero, Joe Flynn. Dir: Robert Butler. C-90 mins, TV-G, CC

1:45 PM Strongest Man in the World, The (1975)
A student discovers the key to super strength by mixing chemicals with his breakfast cereal. Cast: Kurt Russell, Joe Flynn, Eve Arden. Dir: Vincent McEveety. C-92 mins, TV-PG, CC

3:30 PM Absent Minded Professor, The (1961)
A college professor fights off corrupt businessmen to market his new anti-gravity invention. Cast: Fred MacMurray, Nancy Olson, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Robert Stevenson. BW-96 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

5:15 PM Son of Flubber (1963)
An absent-minded professor gets into legal trouble because of his experiments with a gravity defying substance. Cast: Fred MacMurray, Nancy Olson, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Robert Stevenson. BW-103 mins, TV-G, CC

7:00 PM Age of Believing: The Disney Live Action Classics, The (2008)

8:30 PM Apple Dumpling Gang, The (1975)
Two bumbling outlaws try to help a trio of orphans protect their gold strike. Cast: Bill Bixby, Susan Clark, Don Knotts. Dir: Norman Tokar. C-100 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

10:15 PM Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, The (1979)
Two bumbling outlaws enlist in the Army, where they're accused of stealing supplies. Cast: Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Tim Matheson. Dir: Vincent McEveety. C-89 mins, TV-G, CC

Dec 21st Sunday
12:00 PM Black Hole, The (1979)
Researchers discover a lost space ship on the edge of a black hole. Cast: Maximilian Schell, Anthony Perkins, Robert Forster. Dir: Gary Nelson. C-98 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

2:00 PM Escape to Witch Mountain (1975)
An unscrupulous millionaire tries to catch two mysterious children with super powers. Cast: Eddie Albert, Ray Milland, Donald Pleasence. Dir: John Hough. C-97 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

4:00 PM Return From Witch Mountain (1978)
A mad scientist kidnaps an alien teen with amazing powers. Cast: Bette Davis, Christopher Lee, Kim Richards. Dir: John Hough. C-94 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

6:00 PM Bedknobs And Broomsticks (1971)
An apprentice witch and three war orphans try to prevent the Nazi invasion of England. Cast: Angela Lansbury, David Tomlinson, Roddy McDowall. Dir: Robert Stevenson. C-117 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM Candleshoe (1977)
A street urchin infiltrates a noblewoman's impoverished household in search of hidden treasure. Cast: David Niven, Helen Hayes, Jodie Foster. Dir: Norman Tokar. C-101 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

10:00 PM Freaky Friday (1976)
A mother and daughter switch bodies for one strange day. Cast: Barbara Harris, Jodie Foster, John Astin. Dir: Gary Nelson. C-98 mins, TV-PG, CC

11:45 PM Age of Believing: The Disney Live Action Classics, The (2008)

Dec 28th Sunday
10:30 AM Age of Believing: The Disney Live Action Classics, The (2008)

12:00 PM Shaggy Dog, The (1959)
An ancient spell turns a teenager into a large sheep dog. Cast: Fred MacMurray, Jean Hagen, Tommy Kirk. Dir: Charles Barton. BW-102 mins, TV-G, CC

2:00 PM Shaggy D.A., The (1976)
A lawyer running for district attorney starts turning into a large sheep dog at awkward moments. Cast: Dean Jones, Tim Conway, Suzanne Pleshette. Dir: Robert Stevenson. C-92 mins, TV-G, CC

4:00 PM Love Bug, The (1968)
A Volkswagen with a brain becomes a championship racecar. Cast: Dean Jones, Michele Lee, David Tomlinson. Dir: Robert Stevenson. C-108 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

6:00 PM Herbie Rides Again (1974)
A spunky widow uses her magical Volskwagen to fight off a corrupt land developer. Cast: Helen Hayes, Ken Berry, Stefanie Powers. Dir: Robert Stevenson. C-88 mins, , CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo (1977)
Thieves plant stolen diamonds under the hood of a magical Volkswagen. Cast: Dean Jones, Don Knotts, Julie Sommars. Dir: Vincent McEveety. C-110 mins, TV-G, CC

9:45 PM Herbie Goes Bananas (1980)
The owners of a magical Volkswagen drive through Latin America on the way to a Brazilian race. Cast: Cloris Leachman, Charles Martin Smith, John Vernon. Dir: Vincent McEveety. C-99 mins, TV-G, CC

11:30 PM World's Greatest Athlete, The (1973)
A washed-up coach saves his career when he discovers a jungle boy who's a natural athlete. Cast: Tim Conway, Jan-Michael Vincent, John Amos. Dir: Robert Scheerer. C-92 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

CharlieK 12-03-08 03:27 PM

That is one hell of a line-up.

With TCM being Turner / Time Warner and Disney being Disney, I'd love to know the backstory on how they got all of these classic titles. Are they being released on DVD anytime soon?

dx23 12-03-08 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 9109224)
That is one hell of a line-up.

With TCM being Turner / Time Warner and Disney being Disney, I'd love to know the backstory on how they got all of these classic titles. Are they being released on DVD anytime soon?

All of these films have been released on DVD already by Disney. TCM is only showing them in their OAR (most likely) on their channel.

CharlieK 12-03-08 05:05 PM

Ah, I see.

Still, I used to work for Turner and I used to hear stories about how Disney (and other studios) were often such pricks about their classic movies that they never did much with anyway. I'm just curious how they were able to acquire such a deluge of Disney titles all at once. Sometimes studios lent them their titles as part of a marketing plan for a home video release or something similar.

I'll be clearing room on my DVR as well. Some of those were favorites of mine as a kid that I don't think I've seen since.

JoeyOhhhh 12-03-08 05:34 PM

Does anyone offer TCM in HD? I'd love to see 20k Leagues in HD

PopcornTreeCt 12-03-08 06:45 PM

I was hoping this was for the Animated films.

rw2516 12-04-08 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9109287)
All of these films have been released on DVD already by Disney. TCM is only showing them in their OAR (most likely) on their channel.

They show Barefoot Executive widescreen. Isn't the dvd fullscreen?

Giles 12-04-08 06:40 AM

who at TCM had to blow who over at Disney :D

too bad no 'In Search of the Castaways' - that would have been sweet in widescreen since that DVD is fullscreen.

Quack 12-04-08 06:44 AM

Awesome...looking forward to watching Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues...haven't seen those in ages.

Charlie Goose 12-04-08 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Grimm1 (Post 9109190)
Barefoot Executive, The (1971)
Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The (1970)
Strongest Man in the World, The (1975)

I'm glad they're covering some of Kurt Russell's Disney career, but what about Now You See Him, Now You Don't to cover the entire Dexter Riley trilogy? :)

And as a wee lad, I was NUTS about the Love Bug series. So crazy about them that I'm afraid to watch them now so my fond memories remain intact.

dx23 12-04-08 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 9110371)
They show Barefoot Executive widescreen. Isn't the dvd fullscreen?

Yes, the DVD is fullscreen because of the idiots at the time at Disney, but the OAR is widescreen.

Groucho 12-04-08 11:57 AM

This is awesome. I wish TCM was HD, but I'll cope.

Flicker 12-08-08 05:32 PM

What? NO "So Dear To My Heart" or "Song Of The South?"

Giles 12-09-08 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 9110395)
Awesome...looking forward to watching Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues...haven't seen those in ages.

personally I'd love to see Leagues on a HUGE theatre screen since it's aspect ratio is V E R Y W I D E at 2.55:1