Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Old 03-09-09, 12:04 PM
  #201  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,060
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
The music in that trailer was EPIC.
Sounded an awful lot like Batman Begins/Dark Knight. Did Zimmer/Howard score this movie as well?
Double_Oh_7 is offline  
Old 03-09-09, 04:31 PM
  #202  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,851
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So who do trek fans want to take control of the franchise? JJ Abrams? Bryan Fuller?
There's something to be said for having the control split between two people, like one for movies and one for TV, as long as they check in with each from time to time (so we don't get a repeat of the Defiant near-debacle).


Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Sounded an awful lot like Batman Begins/Dark Knight. Did Zimmer/Howard score this movie as well?
Michael Giacchino (sp?) Same guy that did The Incredibles IIRC.

Though there might be something different for the trailer of course.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 03-09-09, 04:52 PM
  #203  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

He's done The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Lost, M:I-III, and he was recently the musical director at this year's oscars. A very talented guy.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 08:06 AM
  #204  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
And didn't he also pass the baton on to Brannon/Braga before he passed? My old man memory is getting faded (and shoot, it's been a good amount of time since Next Generation was on the air) but I seem to recall that they were pretty much assuming duties on Next Generation as Roddenberry was taking a lesser role, I presume do to failing health.
at the time it was Rick Berman and Michael Piller...
Superboy is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 08:10 AM
  #205  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

This movie is just too unpredictable. We've just seen trailers so far, and that's not enough for me so far. The plot really has to impress. Otherwise it's just more of the same we got with the last few Star Trek and Star Wars movies.
Superboy is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 08:48 AM
  #206  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,446
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
There's something to be said for having the control split between two people, like one for movies and one for TV, as long as they check in with each from time to time (so we don't get a repeat of the Defiant near-debacle).
"You're blowing up the Defiant?"
"Yep."
"You do know we use that in our show every week right?"
"Well... you could fix it."
"..."
"..."
"I don't think this is a good idea."
"Too late, it's already on the print."
lordwow is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 09:12 AM
  #207  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
We've just seen trailers so far, and that's not enough for me.
That's the point of a trailer, to give you some but not enough so you pay to see the movie. Mission accomplished.
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 10:24 AM
  #208  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 448
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
That's the point of a trailer, to give you some but not enough so you pay to see the movie. Mission accomplished.
That's not what he is saying, though. Based on what he saw on the trailer, he's not willing to part with his money to see the rest.
iamiam is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 11:03 AM
  #209  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,834
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
This movie is just too unpredictable. We've just seen trailers so far, and that's not enough for me so far. The plot really has to impress. Otherwise it's just more of the same we got with the last few Star Trek and Star Wars movies.
No Star Trek movie in the last ten years has looked this exciting. I think this entry is going to blast the previous ones out of the water, at least as far as box office is concerned.
The Bus is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 11:16 AM
  #210  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
No Star Trek movie in the last ten years has looked this exciting.
Considering that's exactly one movie, that's not saying much.
Chew is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 12:47 PM
  #211  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,494
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

they played the trailer on Heroes last night. got to watch it on a regular tv for the first time. holy jeebus. so much more spectacular than watching it on a computer. wow. looks phenomenal.
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 01:50 PM
  #212  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 2,656
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
they played the trailer on Heroes last night. got to watch it on a regular tv for the first time. holy jeebus. so much more spectacular than watching it on a computer. wow. looks phenomenal.
And this is one reason I am glad I'm still DVR'ing Heroes.
Yavin is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 04:30 PM
  #213  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,011
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
they played the trailer on Heroes last night. got to watch it on a regular tv for the first time. holy jeebus. so much more spectacular than watching it on a computer. wow. looks phenomenal.
Yeah did I hear wrong? Because I thought they were pimping "Scenes from the new film" and not just the trailer.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 03-10-09, 04:34 PM
  #214  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,741
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

When the Voice Over guy introduced the trailer on Heroes, why did he call it "Star Trek The Future"? I though it might be "The Feature", but I listened to it again and it sure sounds like "The Future". Why did they need to call it anything other than Star Trek or are they adding a subtitle to the movie? Hope not.
Kevin M. Dean is offline  
Old 03-11-09, 12:02 PM
  #215  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post
When the Voice Over guy introduced the trailer on Heroes, why did he call it "Star Trek The Future"? I though it might be "The Feature", but I listened to it again and it sure sounds like "The Future". Why did they need to call it anything other than Star Trek or are they adding a subtitle to the movie? Hope not.
We did the same thing. I said, "Did they say 'The Feature'?" and my girlfriend said no, and we backed up and sure enough, 'The Future'.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 03-12-09, 12:07 AM
  #216  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,741
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
We did the same thing. I said, "Did they say 'The Feature'?" and my girlfriend said no, and we backed up and sure enough, 'The Future'.
Here's a detailed explanation of what happened.

link

Basically the announcer screwed up and said:

And now a special sneak peek of "Star Trek The Future" begins in theaters May 8th.
when he should have said:

And now a special sneak peek of "Star Trek." The future begins in theaters May 8th
Kevin M. Dean is offline  
Old 03-12-09, 02:49 AM
  #217  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Okay, I'm officially excited. This may be the highest grossing Trek film when all is said and done. That looks like it will attrack average viewers too.

Wow! That looks intense!
Spoiler:
Too bad the trailer gave away the fate of Captain Pike.
RocShemp is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 10:31 AM
  #218  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2



Final poster . . . eh, I can't tell if the Enterprise is coming or going. Everything else has been so colorful. Not sure why they wanted this poster.
MBoyd is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 11:30 AM
  #219  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,542
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Everything I have seen for this Star Trek relaunch has been top-notch.

Until now.
TGM is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 12:02 PM
  #220  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,670
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

its ok..one thing is certain, his trailers are top notch
raven56706 is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 12:21 PM
  #221  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

The way things are going with the hype and how great the trailers look, this could be the Iron Man of 2009.
Zen Peckinpah is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 12:36 PM
  #222  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Greg MacGuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Formerly known as "Jeffy Pop"/Denver
Posts: 3,011
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Wow, that poster sucks. I can't even tell what I'm looking at.
Greg MacGuffin is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 04:53 PM
  #223  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Um, it's the Enterprise. And you guys are saying that poster is worse than the generic downturned faces they've been using up until now?
Supermallet is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 05:11 PM
  #224  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Bandit03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,275
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Um, it's the Enterprise. And you guys are saying that poster is worse than the generic downturned faces they've been using up until now?
Wouldn't have thought I would be saying this but...yea.
Bandit03 is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 05:17 PM
  #225  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,446
Re: Star Trek XI (Abrams, 2009) - Part 2

Foreign Posters:

UK:


Spain:


Japan:
lordwow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.