Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Up in the Air (D: J. Reitman, 2009) S: Clooney, Farmiga

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Up in the Air (D: J. Reitman, 2009) S: Clooney, Farmiga

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Up in the Air (Reitman, 2009): Clooney as exec obsessed with frequent flyer miles

Basterds is top 10 material, but I wouldn't be disappointed with a win. Crazy Heart I haven't heard of before two weeks ago.

But some of the films in the race right now: Hurt Locker, An Education - I thought were both boring despite the praise they're getting. And I like indie movies. If UitA doesn't win Best Picture, I'll take Anna Kendrick for Best Supporting Actress or Best Adapted Screenplay as a consolation
Old 12-24-09, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Up in the Air (Reitman, 2009): Clooney as exec obsessed with frequent flyer miles

Basterds is great. The only film I saw twice in theatres this year.

I'd love for it to win Best Picture.
Old 12-24-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I'd love for it to win Best Picture.
You mean at the MTV Movie Awards?
Yeah, I think it might win this year.
Old 12-24-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
Right now Inglourious is about 3rd down on the favored list from what I can tell.

#1 is Up in the Air
#2 is The Hurt Locker
#3 is Inglourious Basterds

...it isn't such a long shot.
Old 12-24-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If UitA (or IB) wins the Oscar for best picture, 2009 will truly go down as a bad year in cinema.
Old 12-24-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
If UitA (or IB) wins the Oscar for best picture, 2009 will truly go down as a bad year in cinema.
UitA is critically acclaimed, it stars George Clooney, it's very topical, and generally well liked... It's almost a lock.

IB is critically acclaimed, has one of the best performances of the year, and is entertaining as hell... It won't win, it just isn't as far fetched as some suggest.

Considering some of the "wins" for the last decade, there have been a lot of "bad years in cinema" this decade.

Best Pic Winners: Gladiator (2000), A Beautiful Mind (2001), Chicago (2002), Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003), Million Dollar Baby (2004), Crash (2005), The Departed (2006), No Country for Old Men (2007), Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

...that said, considering this year gave us The White Ribbon, The Hurt Locker, Antichrist, Up in the Air, Inglourious Basterds, Crazy Heart, An Education, A Serious Man, Julia, Sin Nombre, Goodbye Solo, You The Living, Up, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, In the Loop, Star Trek, Sugar, Moon, 35 Shots of Rum and World's Greatest Dad, it really wasn't all that bad... just not very mainstream.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-24-09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-24-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Nothing will be worse than Slumdog Millionaire winning. 2009 was a bad year as it was, at least Up in the Air was one of the few bright spots in cinema.
Old 12-24-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
IB is critically acclaimed, has one of the best performances of the year, and is entertaining as hell... It won't win, it just isn't as far fetched as some suggest.
You could have said all of that about The Dark Knight last year.
Old 12-24-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj

No, Richard. Don't forget how much influence Jews have in Hollywood and in the Academy.
Old 12-24-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Saw it today, definitely my #1 film of the year. I do think it's a bit inappropriate as a Christmas season release; it's a very heavy film and at least one trailer I saw completely sells it wrong.
Old 12-25-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
UitA is critically acclaimed, it stars George Clooney, it's very topical, and generally well liked... It's almost a lock.

Considering some of the "wins" for the last decade, there have been a lot of "bad years in cinema" this decade.

Best Pic Winners: Gladiator (2000), A Beautiful Mind (2001), Chicago (2002), Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003), Million Dollar Baby (2004), Crash (2005), The Departed (2006), No Country for Old Men (2007), Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

...that said, considering this year gave us The White Ribbon, The Hurt Locker, Antichrist, Up in the Air, Inglourious Basterds, Crazy Heart, An Education, A Serious Man, Julia, Sin Nombre, Goodbye Solo, You The Living, Up, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, In the Loop, Star Trek, Sugar, Moon, 35 Shots of Rum and World's Greatest Dad, it really wasn't all that bad... just not very mainstream.
This is going to be a tough and strange year at the Oscars. While I enjoyed "UITA" a great deal, chocked full of award worthy performances, I don't think it's going to nab Best Picture. And while I loved "IB" much more, think maybe the violence and tone might turn several voters off. Which would be too bad. Which leaves "The Hurt Locker". I don't know....think this one might win it.
Old 12-25-09, 01:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw this tonight, and thought it was very good. Clooney's performance was his most natural yet, and while it had Clooney-isms, it didn't feel like he was playing himself. Farmiga is also excellent, and hot as hell.

The only issue I had was the montage of people who were fired, talking about how they got through because of their friends/family. For one thing, it was stylistically out of place, and for another, it was way too on the nose. Other than that, I'd say this is a solid 4-star film. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 of the year, but I imagine it will get a best picture nod.
Old 12-25-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The only issue I had was the montage of people who were fired, talking about how they got through because of their friends/family. For one thing, it was stylistically out of place, and for another, it was way too on the nose.
I have to agree. It was jarring coming where it did. While I would have preferred to see it snipped altogether (the film sends enough of a message without it), he could have placed it within the closing credits and it would have flowed much better.
Old 12-25-09, 02:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

The only issue I had was the montage of people who were fired, talking about how they got through because of their friends/family. For one thing, it was stylistically out of place, and for another, it was way too on the nose. .
I had heard that each of the people in those sequences were people who had been laid off. So real life folks
Old 12-25-09, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

I had heard that as well, but that doesn't make it work any better within the context of the movie up to that point.
Old 12-25-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I had heard that each of the people in those sequences were people who had been laid off. So real life folks
That is correct. The montage would have made even less sense if the people were actors, at least IMO.
Old 12-25-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. Really liked this movie and hope it wins Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Director.

Please, let Jason Reitman make more movies minus scripts by Diablo Cody. Please let Anna Kendrick get more movie roles and not Ellen Page.

That's all for now.
Old 12-25-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was bad, it was pleasant, like the last chance harvey of 2009... which I'm struggling to find any difference why this one is so acclaimed and harvey wasn't... to me both are the same level of 'okay'

but overall, I found it unconsidered, not thoughtful or interesting, just a very surface take. all the jason reitman-isms were distractions and didn't fit, such as the montages and overly cute editing, and overly cutesey character relations (Clooney and Farmiga could have been taken from the fast food and alcohol lobbiest dynamic for instance in Smoking).. then there was some lost in translation-esque, middle-aged man lost in a group situations which felt 'thrown together' ... I liked the young female protege, but the old female relationship was too cliche.

So overall, probably a C, perhaps my expectations were too high because of all the acclaim it's getting.

Last edited by CloverClover; 12-25-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-25-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just saw this. What a movie for our time. Just fantastic — I can't think of a major thing I didn't like. I've seen Avatar and Sherlock Holmes but this will be the movie that stays with me.
Old 12-25-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Please let Anna Kendrick get more movie roles not including Twilight movies.
fixed
Old 12-26-09, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
The black guy talking about his kids and how he would feed them tore me up. A few people in my theater were laughing but I'm sure it was nervous laughter.
Old 12-26-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
The black guy talking about his kids and how he would feed them tore me up. A few people in my theater were laughing but I'm sure it was nervous laughter.
It was probably from all the facial quivering from that guy.
Old 12-26-09, 11:04 AM

just saw this and fell in love with it. should be a hard contender for Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture at the very least.

this is most definitely in my top 5 this year so far alongside 'The White Ribbon', 'Ballast', 'Inglourious Basterds', and 'Up'
Old 12-27-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Not sure if it will win Best Picture (what was the last "comedy" to win...Forrest Gump?), but I'm really pulling for George Clooney as Best Actor. I think it's the finest thing he's ever done.

Oh, one question about the ending I'd like to get everyone's opinion on (spoilered, naturally):

Spoiler:
Okay, at the very end, it looks like Clooney is dropping his resignation with the secretary at his office and then arrives at the airport to "pick a destination" (this is foreshadowed with dialogue earlier in the movie) and just go there. However, the voice over dialogue at the end suggests that Clooney kept his job. So did he resign or didn't he? Or is it intentionally ambiguous?

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 12-27-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-27-09, 12:24 PM
Banned by request

Spoiler:
I missed the resignation part, but that would make more sense that he just went and lived his life globetrotting.

And the last comedy to win Best Picture was Crash. Actually, it was Shakespeare In Love.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.