Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clint Eastwood To Retire From Acting

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did a search and didn't see anything about it.

From www.ween.com

Hollywood legend Clint Eastwood is retiring from acting, after a career spanning more than 50 years.

The 78-year-old had limited acting success in the 1950s, before shooting to fame in the 1960s with roles in hit Western movies such as For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

He went on to star in 1971 classic Dirty Harry and four sequels as hard-edged police inspector Harry Callahan.

Eastwood extended his career in movies to directing - and has received Academy Awards for his work on Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby.

The director's appeal spanned generations and he is still enjoying success today - with this year's movie Changeling, starring Angelina Jolie, receiving praise from critics and fans alike.

Eastwood has just finished starring in and directing Gran Torino, a drama about a racist veteran of the Korean War - but now that is over, he is hanging up his acting hat for good.

He tells Britain's Sunday Express, "That will probably do it for me as far as acting is concerned.

"You always want to quit while you are ahead. You don't want to be like a fighter who stays too long in the ring until you're not performing at your best."

But the star is adamant he will keep sitting in the director's chair: "I've got no plans to stop making films."
Old 11-23-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, he must really want that Oscar.
Old 11-23-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was mentioned in the Gran Turino thread. I'm not sure it's an official statement - looks like he's given himself some wiggle room. In the USA Today article posted in the Gran Turino thread, there was this:

"Yeah, it'll probably be my last," he says of Gran Torino. "I'll be drummed out of it after this one."

After more than 50 years and dozens of iconic characters, could he be serious?

That familiar dry voice on the phone turns into a chuckle. "Nah, I'm just kidding."

"It was fun. But I'm not destined to do too many more. I've been happy doing the ones I haven't been in."
So we'll see.
Old 11-23-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine with me. His last 6-7 or so acting gigs have been pretty forgettable, so no big loss there.
Old 11-23-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
Fine with me. His last 6-7 or so acting gigs have been pretty forgettable, so no big loss there.
I'm assuming Million Dollar Baby slipped your mind.
Old 11-23-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you'll be back
Old 11-23-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Didn't he say the same thing when MDB came out?... hopefully he'll be in front of the camera again... regardless ya gotta admire someone that just wants to keep working.
Old 11-23-08, 06:29 PM
Banned

Good I don't want him to wind up like DeNiro, Pachino and Brando making bad movies with bad performances.
Old 11-23-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm assuming Million Dollar Baby slipped your mind.
Also the massively underrated A Perfect World.