Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Adventureland (Mottola, 2009)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Adventureland (Mottola, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Adventureland (Mottola, 2009)

I really liked it. There were quite a few people there last night, too (I'm guessing since it was Spring break). It had a lot of heart. Kind of reminded me of The Girl Next Door in a lot of ways. I think people were expecting a huge uproarious comedy and probably came out disappointed since it was a lot more than that. TGND is one of my favorite movies, and there really haven't been a lot of teen "sex comedies" like it since. I liked the way Ryan Reynolds was in the story and the supporting cast was fantastic. I'll definitely buy it when it comes out.

One thing I had a problem with though was the supposed age of these kids. I just graduated college last April, and none of the kids in the movie looked old enough to be college graduates. When they were talking about his graduation near the beginning, I really thought it was his high school graduation at first.
I know Jesse Eisenberg is, though. He's my age or so (I turn 23 this year).
Old 04-07-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see some similarities between this and The Girl Next Door but TGND is one of my favourites as well, and I didn't dig this one, so I don't think all fans of that will enjoy this.
Old 04-07-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My review at cinamerica.com

I thought the film was ok, but I have a big gripe with the way it was marketed, and I never really felt the two leads clicked that much.
Old 04-09-09, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it last weekend and loved it.

I just looked at my ticket stub, and noticed it was for Fast and Furious. Now I'm really pissed, I didn't want my money going to that. Adventureland had a crappy opening weekend, and I am wondering if Regal theaters has some sort of scam going where they wanted to boost Fast and Furious' BO.

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but this would really suck for smaller films like this.
Old 04-09-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seen it today, and I loved it, Kristen Stewart was excellent in it, Theres something about her, Shes really beautiful. The advertising was pretty off, It seemed like they were pushing a movie that was like Superbad or another of that kind of comedy. This was a much different movie.

great flick.
Old 04-09-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I can see some similarities between this and The Girl Next Door but TGND is one of my favourites as well, and I didn't dig this one, so I don't think all fans of that will enjoy this.
I love TGND and I didn't love Adventureland.

My main problem with Adventureland is that nothing really happens during the course of the movie. It works in films like Dazed and Confused as we're bouncing between all the numerous characters; but in Adventureland, when we're focused on the relationship between Michael Cera-lite and Kristen Stewart, there's nothing really to focus on. All the more interesting supporting characters are forced into the background when they should've been playing a more predominant role in the proceedings at hand.

I enjoyed the film; but I wouldn't rank it up with the top tier teen/college films of the past decade.
Old 04-11-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I love TGND and I didn't love Adventureland.

My main problem with Adventureland is that nothing really happens during the course of the movie. It works in films like Dazed and Confused as we're bouncing between all the numerous characters; but in Adventureland, when we're focused on the relationship between Michael Cera-lite and Kristen Stewart, there's nothing really to focus on. All the more interesting supporting characters are forced into the background when they should've been playing a more predominant role in the proceedings at hand.

I enjoyed the film; but I wouldn't rank it up with the top tier teen/college films of the past decade.
So funny you say that. I saw this last night and when I got out of the movie I proceeded to describe Eisenberg to my g/f as follows after she mentioned how he reminded her of Cera:

"Well, you see, Eisenberg was doing Cera before there was Cera, but Cera does Cera better than Eisenberg, so now Eisenberg just seems like a lesser Cera, but he is actually the original Cera."

As for the film itself, I enjoyed it. It was marketed totally wrong, but thanks to certain critical reviews, I went in knowing what to expect. This is definately a Dazed and Confused or a Garden State type film, and I would place it somewhere in between those two. It is not as perfect as Dazed and Confused and not as contrived as Garden State stylistically. Hader and Wiig were great, but under utilized. Stewart was nothing special and if anything, Kat Dennings could have been plugged into that role and nobody would've noticed. Eisenberg would fall into some sort of bizarre-70's Woodman impersonation early in the film that took me out of the movie a few times, but the impression would just come and go, then it basically tapered off by the 2nd act of the film. Overall, a good film as far as late-blooming coming of age (all these "kids" are college graduates) go.

Last edited by BambooLounge; 04-11-09 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 10:19 AM

I saw this movie yesterday and found it to be a total snooze. The music was so mellow and the charecters were so drab and acted like average teenagers (drugs, sex, alcohol). Jesse Eisenberg's charecter seemed so smart, until he fell in with the Adventureland crowd.
Old 04-13-09, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge

"Well, you see, Eisenberg was doing Cera before there was Cera, but Cera does Cera better than Eisenberg, so now Eisenberg just seems like a lesser Cera, but he is actually the original Cera."
I can see how people could easaly get the two confused if they aren't farmiliar with either of their work.
Old 04-15-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

saw this today and thought it was great. certainly marketed wrong though.
Old 04-15-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I liked it alot. I was expecting Superbad part 2, not some coming of age thing though.
Old 07-23-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I've seen this twice in the last 24 hours. I loved it. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting but I was pleased regardless. The cast was pretty solid and there was enough story to keep me interested. I really can't put my finger on why I liked it so much but something just clicked with me.
Old 08-26-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just got this from Netflix. Thought it was a nice little film with some really good performances. I kind of see why it didn't do better at the box-office. The initial marketing was pretty poor. But I think it will find a bigger audience on video. My only gripe is the time line of most of the songs. Popular much earlier than the year the film took place (1987).
Old 08-27-09, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went in expecting a comedy and came out seeing a zombie love story. The two leads had about as much life behind their eyes as Stephen Hawking's legs.
Old 09-03-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the movie. Nothing great but fun.
Kristin certainly seem to be a drab actress though
Old 11-24-09, 02:59 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I saw this movie over the weekend at my friend's house and I loved it. I really identified with the James character as a nerdy, nice guy who never got the girl and Kristen Stewart really had that girl next door feel to her character, which was really attractive to me. I thought it was great.
Old 11-24-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was really hoping we'd see the Blu-ray for this for $9.99-$14.99 this Black Friday season. Haven't seen it on sale anywhere though.
Old 11-24-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I enjoyed the movie. Nothing great but fun.
I think I liked it a tad bit more, but that pretty much sums it up. Although I'm a fan of Stewart as an actress despite these Twilight movies that I'll never see.
Old 11-24-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I kinda attribute that to the characters she's played... Ive only seen her in Panic Room, Into the Wild, and this one. It'll be interesting to see if she can do more than just the mopey, troubled kid roles...

Yeah, if the BD was cheaper I'd probably pick it up...
Old 03-15-11, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hate to bump an old thread, but I just got around to seeing this film. A truly criminally underrated dramedy. I love Eisenberg's work here, where he plays awkward, but not over-exagerated awkward. It may be the only time I've seen Stewart actually act and the internally conflicted role suited her well. It's a fine example of marketing killing a film, because I remember hating the trailers. If it weren't for Eisenberg being in this, I probably wouldn't have given it a shot. Martin Starr's presence was expectedly pleasant and a shock, as I didn't know he was in it.

I give it a solid A (4/5) and can't stress enough how people need to give this a shot if they passed it by.
Old 03-15-11, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this was actually my second favorite film of 2009 (behind INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS). i rewatch it quite frequently and it's also a movie i pop in when friends are over because like most people, they've never seen it. i wish mottola was making more movies like this (instead of straight comedies like PAUL) but i think i remember reading he was rather heartbroken this film didn't do well and he wanted to make something with more appeal next. martin starr is perfect in this and his speech when they're in his backyard is great. the soundtrack is also one of my favorites. my only real gripe with the film is that mottola seems to mix post-high school and post-college. even though i know it's post-college, he doesn't really nail that time frame.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 03-15-11 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-15-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

One of the things that I like least about renting films on DVD rather than seeing them in theaters is that there are sometimes films that seem pretty solid when I am watching them but that I shut off part way in anyway, probably because I can. Sometimes I come back and finish them and sometimes I don't. It's even worse with Netflix because I don't have to return them at any given time so there is no pressure to finish them.

Adventureland was one of those movies for me. It seemed pretty good based on the ~30 minutes of it I watched but I lost my mood, shut it off, and never went back to finish it.