Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Adoration (Egoyan, 2009)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Adoration (Egoyan, 2009)

Old 11-20-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adoration (Egoyan, 2009)

Synopsis:
Sabine, a high school French teacher, gives her class a translation exercise based on a real news story about a terrorist who plants a bomb in the airline luggage of his pregnant girlfriend.

The assignment has a profound effect on one student, Simon, who reads his version to the class and then takes it to the Internet. He has created a false identity, which allows him to probe a family secret. As Simon uses his new persona to journey deeper into his past, the public reaction is swift and strong. Then an exotic woman revels her true identity and the truth about Simon's family emerges.
Trailer

Atom Egoyan rarely misses. This looks like another winner.
Old 11-20-08, 09:21 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Egoyan = must see.
Old 11-20-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival and it's closer to a miss than a hit.

It's not a terrible film, but it's not great either. Basically Egoyan really needs to change things up. He's repeating his themes and continues to use the same methods of storytelling. Speedman feels out of his element here. He's a very one-dimensional actor who doesn't show any range or any nuances.

Egoyan's early films show his potential and lead up to the masterpieces Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter. Felicia's Journey was solid and very underrated, but Ararat (which was ok) had elements that didn't work. Where The Truth Lies was a big miss. Adoration basically gets Egoyan back to where he was previously, but it feels too familiar and repetative in many instances.

I look forward to his future films but I really hope he ventures into new territories and also avoid casting his wife in at least one film.
Old 11-21-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Egoyan but feel he's been much more miss than hit lately.
Old 11-21-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to see it anyways cause I love his films.
Old 12-02-09, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Adoration (Egoyan, 2009)

I finally got to watch this film. I absolutely loved The Sweet Hereafter and Exotica.

I mildly liked some of his other movies. I thought this was right below his better stuff.

It just engaged me from the start.

As for those who don't like Egoyan doing the same things, well it works doesn't it?
Old 02-08-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Adoration (Egoyan, 2009)

I finally saw this. I liked it more than his last couple movies, but not up to the heights of some of his earlier work. I felt the plot reveals did not match the build-up. I did feel the acting was quality throughout the cast.