DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mary and Max (Elliot, 2009): Claymation w/ Philip Seymour Hoffman & Eric Bana voices (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/544074-mary-max-elliot-2009-claymation-w-philip-seymour-hoffman-eric-bana-voices.html)

NoirFan 11-19-08 05:18 PM

Mary and Max (Elliot, 2009): Claymation w/ Philip Seymour Hoffman & Eric Bana voices

According to Variety, this will open the 25th Sundance Film Festival on January 15th.

IMDB Synopsis:

A simple tale of pen-friendship between two very different people; Mary Dinkle, a little chubby lonely eight year old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max Horovitz, a 44 year old, severely obese, Jewish man with Asperger's Syndrome living in the chaos of New York.
It's nice to see good old-fashioned claymation in this age of CGI.

NoirFan 01-16-09 04:55 PM

Re: Mary and Max (Elliot, 2009): Claymation w/ Philip Seymour Hoffman & Eric Bana voi

/Film review:

I’ll admit it. I wasn’t really looking forward to the 2009 Sundance Film Festival opening night film Mary and Max. Rarely do I become involved in many animated features produced outside of the Pixar campus, and claymation has never really been my thing. But Mary and Max was something magical. It is the perfect film to start off the festival, because it is everything that Sundance would like to stand for. It’s handcrafted and so very unique that it would have been impossible for any studio and Hollywood to produce anything like it. They wouldn’t have the guts.

Adam Elliot’s film tells the story of a young Australian girl named Mary who begins a pen pal relationship with 44-year old overweight anxiety-ridden New York City resident named Max. But the film is much more than that. It’s an endearing story about two friendless outsiders who find themselves unable to connect with anyone in their vastly different worlds, but are somehow able to form the most innocent of friendships from thousands of miles away. The film deals with heavy issues like suicide, alcoholism, death, sex, and mental health.

It may be an animated movie but it’s certainly not suitable for children. The film has the dark humor you might expect from a biting R-rated indie dramedy, and the movie reaches levels of cleverness that most British comedies can only aspire to reach. Philip Seymour Hoffman delivers one of the best voice performances of recent years. I have enjoyed stop-animated movies in the past, but for the most part I have found them to be entertaining to watch, but not too involving. Mary and Max will not only make you care about characters transformed out of clay, but you will be transported into a wacky world of imperfection that feels as real as the best live-action features.

Mary and Max is the type of movie that you will see and recommend to at least 10 of your friends. You will not only be amazed that such a film could be created, but you will admire the heart and years of work that were clearly put into each frame. And none of it goes unnoticed.

JPRaup 01-26-09 09:14 AM

Re: Mary and Max (Elliot, 2009): Claymation w/ Philip Seymour Hoffman & Eric Bana voi

Mary and Max Trailer

EDIT: Looks like it's not letting me post the trailer here. You can find it here.

<embed src="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/co003.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="556" height="452" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" flashvars="e=4bffc0037b3a3a473a9a2f4e92ed7a23c70b2277d530099d1865f7dc06525b6c7b7d8e83cee9272d0972d8f f7b1c352fc7fe84b9be8cf497f7c151d15b6be70b42aad76c19a8c97f9d849a5a5bd528e2267593dc&width=556&height=4 52&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true&autoscroll=true&thumbsinplaylist=true &esnapshot=4dfed81f&trueurl=http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp"></embed>

William Fuld 01-26-09 11:29 AM

It's amazing how NoirFan can link directly to news and information without shilling a superfluous blog that no one cares about.

JPRaup 01-26-09 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld (Post 9223558)
It's amazing how NoirFan can link directly to news and information without shilling a superfluous blog that no one cares about.

I always post all information on a particular story, giving no reason for anyone to actually go to the blog. I just post it there for a source. For some reason DVDTalk is not reading the embed code right on this particular trailer. If you can figure it out be my guest. Thanks!

NoirFan 01-26-09 07:45 PM

<object width="450" height="398"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/8471"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/8471" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="398"></embed></object>

Playback seems a bit choppy, but I'm on a slower computer right now. Here's the (non-blog) Trailer Addict link.

NoirFan 04-04-09 12:45 AM

Adam Elliot interview

AndyCleveland 11-06-09 10:21 AM

i cannot believe nothing else has been posted about this film.

i just watched it last night and i went through so many emotions. i can't wait to watch it again and tell everyone i know about it. mary and max is one of those films that just comes out of nowhere and surprises the hell out of you. i would go as far as to put this in my top 20 films of all time, and i've seen thousands.

it would honestly be tough to choose between "mary and max" and "Up" if both were nominated for best animated feature. i think i'd have to go with "mary and max"... if you asked me last week, i would say give "Up" the best picture award.

10 out of 10.

RyoHazuki 11-06-09 11:56 AM

Isn't this movie playing on OnDemand?

tylergfoster 11-20-09 07:17 AM

This was a charming, interesting film with endlessly wonderful little details. My only issue was that I've seen a couple of Adam Elliot's other shorts (some of which I have embedded below). In these shorts, there was a different narrator, but the writing was very much the same, and I really liked the way the shorts were narrated (slightly somber, slightly wistful, and contemplative). The entire time, watching Mary and Max, I was distracted by how incredibly alike-yet-totally-different the narration styles were (the movie's narration is far more upbeat). The film also meanders a little bit (like Max's first letter; for a bit, it feels less like Elliot has graduated to feature films and more that he has glued two short films together, but it picks up later), and while I loved the score, I wish there was a little more of it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6njuCt5-U4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6njuCt5-U4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0LdzgOrhfGA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0LdzgOrhfGA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RichC2 11-20-09 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki (Post 9820440)
Isn't this movie playing on OnDemand?

yes

Giles 12-14-09 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland (Post 9820248)
i cannot believe nothing else has been posted about this film.

i just watched it last night and i went through so many emotions. i can't wait to watch it again and tell everyone i know about it. mary and max is one of those films that just comes out of nowhere and surprises the hell out of you. i would go as far as to put this in my top 20 films of all time, and i've seen thousands.

it would honestly be tough to choose between "mary and max" and "Up" if both were nominated for best animated feature. i think i'd have to go with "mary and max"... if you asked me last week, i would say give "Up" the best picture award.

10 out of 10.

I agree with you Andy, this movie stunned me not as an engrossing character study of two individuals seperated not only geographically, but of age too - this had everything, humour, a clever script, engaging characters and an ending
Spoiler:
that had me in tears
this movie wowed me on so many levels.

and yes it's superior to 'Up' IMO

Palaver 12-15-09 09:54 AM

I gotta give a big thumbs up to this one as well. Very touching. Amazing level of detail. I liked this much better than Up and probably better than Coraline.

Dr Mabuse 08-02-10 12:07 PM

Fantastic.

I loved this thing.

Just watched it this week, and I've already watched it again. Terrific.

Giles 08-09-10 08:26 AM

looking forward to hearing the commentary track for the Animation Challenge this month.

slop101 08-09-10 11:08 AM

Liked it, but damn if that wasn't one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in my life, which is why I can't recommend it abroad. Sure, it had an underlining message of hope, but it was filled to the brim with depression, trauma, suicide, abuse, mental illness, etc, etc that pretty much overtook the film.

Solid Snake 04-17-14 12:58 PM

I've always wanted to see this.

turns out its free on Amazon Instant Video, if ya got Prime.