DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Disney and Imax agree on five-film deal (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/544073-disney-imax-agree-five-film-deal.html)

NoirFan 11-19-08 05:05 PM

Disney and Imax agree on five-film deal

From Variety:

Disney and Imax are back in business together, inking a five-picture deal that commences a year from now with Robert Zemeckis' 3-D holiday release "A Christmas Carol."

The Mouse House -- the market leader in 3-D -- has been noticeably absent when it comes to exploiting Imax screens, choosing instead to play its digital 3-D titles in conventional theaters only.

Relations between Disney and Imax grew strained after the two partnered on "Fantasia 2000," which celebrated the 40th anniversary of the acclaimed animated feature.

But the ongoing shortage of conventional 3-D screens, plus the success of other Imax studio partnerships, provided an opening for Disney and Imax to come together once again.

The five-picture deal was announced in Singapore, where Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Group prexy Mark Zoradi and Imax toppers, along with other studio execs, are attending a 3-D conference.

"Disney's commitment to 3-D is great for Imax moviegoers, and dovetails ideally with our strategy to build a slate of top-quality movies from the best filmmakers that lend themselves to the Imax format," Imax Filmed Entertainment chair-prexy Greg Foster said from Singapore.

Zemeckis' "Christmas Carol," a reworking of Charles Dickens' classic tale toplining Jim Carrey, opens Nov. 9, 2009.

Mabuse 11-19-08 06:51 PM

How come Zemekis only wants to make CGI cartoons now? And 2 out of 3 are Christmas films.

Giles 11-19-08 10:24 PM

even though a Muppet movie (in 3D) was filmed for one of Disney's parks, I'd love to see what another full length film in IMAX this go around would look like.

Michael Corvin 11-19-08 10:32 PM

Well three of those are Toy Story flicks, then the Christmas Carol mentioned in the article. Wait... a year from now? Back in March they announced Up! would be in 3D. I guess that will be non Imax 3D.

It would be interesting to see what a 2D film would look like in 3D like the Princess & the Frog (and presumably the new Goofy short).

Giles 11-20-08 08:49 AM

two qualms:

one, the films need to be 1.85 or less in aspect ratio I begun to really hate scope (2.35) films on the IMAX screens, I'm gonna sound like those folk who buy full screen over letterbox, but those black bars above and below the screen, are annoying as sin.

secondly, with The Dark Knight (as well as the upcoming Transformers 2), how about actually shooting with IMAX cameras, if not, 70mm or 4K cameras. 35mm blowups are sooo passe.

Michael Corvin 11-20-08 10:58 AM

Since it's all CG, I would imagine they can output whatever size framing they want. They just have to be aware of it while animating.

Drexl 11-20-08 04:18 PM

Relations between Disney and Imax grew strained after the two partnered on "Fantasia 2000," which celebrated the 40th anniversary of the acclaimed animated feature.
Wow, I didn't know that Fantasia 2000 was completed back in 1980. ;)

tanman 11-20-08 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9084711)
Wow, I didn't know that Fantasia 2000 was completed back in 1980. ;)

hehheh...good catch.