Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Monopoly -- based on the game

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Monopoly -- based on the game

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds like a joke.

Like some sort of prank.

A movie based on the Hasbro game Monopoly?
Old 11-14-08, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ditto...
Old 11-14-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
oh my fucking god....I can see that this show never made it cuz I never heard of it here. Based on what wikipedia tells me, it was only around from June-Sept. in 1990... I was four...probably watching Transformers reruns..
Saturday nights on ABC, which usually meant complete shit. Hence why Twin Peaks was essentially murdered on that night in its second season.
Old 11-15-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder how long this film will be ....
Old 11-15-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Someone I knew once told me when they were young they had a Monopoly game going for some long amount of time. It was either a year or five years. Basically he and a neighbor had it on a table and they would just play it for awhile after school most days. One day the guy's dog destroyed it.
Old 11-15-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Holy shit, is this the same guy who made The Duellists, Alien & Bladerunner?

Last edited by inri222; 11-15-08 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Ridley Scott directing Monopoly movie.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=25362

Ridley talks a little more, but does not shed any real light on the situation. However, there is an awesome quote about A Good Year.
Old 03-02-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The original source -- which is what JoBlo is citing -- is from my interview here:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/03/02...omic-problems/

I gotta say, they convinced me. I think the movie could be pretty cool and potentially dark.

Last edited by BJacks; 03-02-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridley Scott
“I have to direct it,” the Oscar-nominated director told MTV News.

Hmmm. can you say "contractual obligation"?
Old 05-20-12, 01:53 AM
Suspended

After Battleship I have a hard time seeing this one getting made.
Old 07-01-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://deadline.com/2015/07/lionsgat...ie-1201466259/

Monopoly movie back in development. But Ridley Scott is no longer involved. This thread title probably needs an update. Lionsgate is producing it.

Here’s a concept that just passed “Go.” Lionsgate says it is teaming with Hasbro to create a movie based on Monopoly, the board game developed more than a century ago to illustrate a Progressive critique of economic concentration. Lionsgate will finance the movie and co-produce it with Hasbro’s Allspark Pictures.

The screenplay will come from Andrew Niccol, whose credits include The Truman Show, Gattaca, and The Terminal. They say that this will be “a film for all ages, visually sumptuous, heartwarming, and full of action and adventure.” It will revolve around a “a boy from Baltic Avenue who uses both Chance and Community in a quest to make his fortune, taking him on a fun, adventure-filled journey. It’s about making your own luck, what makes you truly rich and, of course, avoiding Jail time!”

Lionsgate Motion Picture Group Co-President Erik Feig calls Monopoly “a signature brand …that has multigenerational appeal.” And Niccol “is an inspired choice to develop this timeless property into a big, crowd-pleasing event film that will appeal to kids, families and anyone who has ever played the Monopoly game.”

Hasbro Chief Content Officer Stephen Davis also says Monopoly is “one of the most popular games of all time, and it will translate into a film with tremendous global appeal and marketability.”

This isn’t the first time someone has tried to corner the market for a Monopoly film. In 2008 director Ridley Scott planned one about a fan of the game who’s magically imported into its world. Universal apparently objected to the underlying message: an attack on greed. Universal ended up scrapping its production deal with Hasbro. Then, three years ago, Emmett/Furla Films planned to finance and co-produce three films based on Hasbro properties including the board game.

The game and toy maker says that more than 1 billion people in 114 countries have played Monopoly, which has been translated into 47 languages.
Old 07-04-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Monopoly -- based on the game

Can't wait for them to make a movie based on Monopoly: The Godfather Edition.
Old 01-31-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The recent video by Cracked reminded me of this movie. I think the WW2 story would make for a better movie instead of the one in the previous post:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTKPbEwJjCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-01-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Great bump.

Old 02-01-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's be honest here, would any bump for this film be considered great?
The following users liked this post:
whotony (04-10-24)
Old 01-17-19, 01:41 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Kevin Hart is getting ready to pass Go on Lionsgate's Monopoly movie.

The Jumanji star is in final negotiations to headline the studio's live-action feature based on the popular board game, reuniting him with his Ride Along director, Tim Story.

A Monopoly movie has been in development for over a decade, with the project previously calling Universal one of its homes and Ridley Scott one of the previous producers.

A lot of writers and storylines have come and gone during the hellish development process. Sources say that the latest storyline centers on a woman and her young son who use a time-traveling house to rewrite their own family history and stop a corrupt businessman in the process. It is unclear if this will be the one that Hart is involved with.

The project now has almost as many producers as there are streets in the game. Hart is producing through his HartBeat Productions, along with John Cheng. Story and Sharla Sumpter Bridgett will produce via the Story Company banner. Hasbro will co-produce the film via its Allspark Pictures label with Brian Goldner, Stephen Davis and Greg Mooradian getting producer credits.

Cheng and HartBeat's Carli Haney will oversee.

Hart, who worked with Lionsgate on his comedy concert film Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain, is set for the Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle sequel. He is repped by UTA and Schreck Rose.

Story , repped by UTA and Ziffren Brittenham, is gearing up for the release of the Shaft sequel.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...NZquwN4ekaYoW4
Old 01-17-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

^ I was thinking more along the lines of a serious movie about corporate corruption, something along the lines of Wall Street. But sure, Kevin Hart and a fucking time traveling house sounds good too.
Old 01-18-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Movie coming out based on Monopoly the game.
Uhm... what?
Old 01-18-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

All these years of playing Monopoly, I had no idea it was actually a game about time travel.
Old 04-10-24, 02:31 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Monopoly -- based on the game

Lionsgate and Hasbro have entered into a deal with Barbie producer LuckyChap to shepherd development and produce Monopoly, a feature based on the classic board game. The project is currently in development and Hasbro Entertainment will also produce. The news landed during Lionsgate’s presentation at CinemaCon this morning in Las Vegas.
https://deadline.com/2024/04/luckych...on-1235880413/
Old 04-10-24, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I was hoping for a Steven Zaillian Ridley Scott type movie about monopolies. But I’m open to whatever.
Old 04-11-24, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Just hire Danny DeVito as the lead and make it a stealth sequel to Other People's Money.