DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   MY NAME IS BRUCE (Bruce "MuthaF***in" Campbell) (2-10-09) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/543277-my-name-bruce-bruce-muthaf%2A%2A%2A-campbell-2-10-09-a.html)

chris_sc77 11-08-08 04:56 PM

MY NAME IS BRUCE (Bruce "MuthaF***in" Campbell) (2-10-09)

I think this looks fun. Going to see this in theaters (With Bruce the Man himself) here in 10 days but here i see this title is already scheduled to be released on DVD on Feb. 10th 2009 from IMAGE ent.

Evil ASh 11-08-08 07:39 PM

Awesome! Saw it last weekend. An ultimate movie for Bruce's fans. :)

DeputyDave 11-09-08 07:00 AM

Great news! This movie is going to be Legend...

Wait for it...

ARY!

chris_sc77 11-10-08 02:56 PM

Why did this get moved from DVD talk into the MOvie forum? The DVD release is 2-10-09. Not the theatrical release!

Mr. Salty 11-10-08 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9063423)
Why did this get moved from DVD talk into the MOvie forum? The DVD release is 2-10-09. Not the theatrical release!

I'm guessing it's because you seemed to be discussing the merits of the movie and offered nothing about the DVD except the release date.

Tuan Jim 11-16-08 02:06 PM

They had a couple screenings featuring the man himself at the Landmark Theatre on E St in DC last night. Might try catching it myself next weekend.

Lara Means 11-22-08 06:53 AM

I saw this movie last week with Bruce himself doing a Q&A after the movie. All I can say is that this movie was garbage. But it was not as bad as his previous movie "Man with the Screaming Brain." That one was completely horrible.

Jackskeleton 11-22-08 07:26 AM

Yeah, this wasn't anything new under the sun nor did it really become enjoyable really. meh.

chris_sc77 11-22-08 11:21 AM

I thought this was a great little film. WIthout a doubt one of the funniest films of the year. Much better than the BIG comedies this year. The film was consistently enjoyable with the exception of Ted Raimi's pretty awful performances even though the awfulness of his performances (including a terribly racist Mickey Rooney in Breakfast in Tiffany's-type Asian character) were kind of a charm considering the film.
**** Stars out of ***** for me.

E. Honda 11-22-08 08:45 PM

looks to be an interesting movie.. I loved him as Ash. But doesn't Samuel L. Jackson own the international copyright on the use of "motherfucker" when it comes to use in a movie or tv show? I smell a lawsuit!

:D2:

Tarantino 11-23-08 07:45 PM

There's no way this ranks with any of the top comedies this year. You're crazy.

= J

chris_sc77 11-23-08 08:04 PM

I'm serious. If we are not counting Religulous this is the funniest film I have seen all year. More laughs than in any other film. More than Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, Zack and Miri, Forgetting S.M. , Etc.

joltman 11-24-08 06:02 AM

I was so excited to see this, but I'm not too happy now hearing all of these negative reviews. I mean, I'm still definitely going to see it, but my expectations have dropped pretty low.

Lara Means 11-24-08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9090605)
I'm serious. If we are not counting Religulous this is the funniest film I have seen all year. More laughs than in any other film. More than Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, Zack and Miri, Forgetting S.M. , Etc.

Lay off the crack.

auto 11-24-08 05:47 PM

Saw this last Friday with a theater full of Bruce fans and Bruce in the audience. Film was ho-hum but the Q&A afterwards with BC was comedy gold. The man sure is funny.

Funny story, we got there late and the blacksmith from Army of Darkness sold us his tix. He must have got in free anyway because Bruce introduced him after the film. He also introduced the old people sitting across the aisle from us, Sam Raimi's parents.

Original Desmond 11-28-08 04:25 AM

Mildly entertaining but could have been so much better, for fans only

godzilla rules 11-28-08 09:05 AM

me and my brother are going to see this tonight. i have never seen BC in person before so this is going to be a fun night, even if the movie is crap.

The Monkees 11-28-08 10:52 PM

i just got back from see this and it was really good! the only thing that pissed me off was the q&a was really short and the way the theater was set up BC ended talk to everyone behind us and barely turning to look at us. Other than that it was a good night. If you get a chance to see this movie, go see it. It is worth it.

chris_sc77 11-29-08 08:53 PM

Special Features have been announced (and they sound great!)
"Extras will include a commentary by director Bruce Campbell and producer Mike Richardson, a Heart of Darkness: The Making of My Name is Bruce documentary, featurettes (Beyond Inside the Cave: The Making of Cavealien 2, The Real Bruce Campbell, Kif's Komer, Awkward Moments with Kif, Bruce on...), photo galleries (poster art, props), and trailers. The DVD and Blu-ray releases will also include a 24-page collectible comic book."

Cover art is here:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-is-bruce.html

AND COULD SOMEONE PLEASE MOVE THIS BACK INTO THE DVD FORUM!

LickTheABCs 11-29-08 09:42 PM

If you liked "Man with the Screaming Brain" or "Alien Apocalypse" you'd probably enjoy this. I chuckled a few times but that was about it.

mdc3000 02-05-09 11:30 AM

Re: MY NAME IS BRUCE (Bruce "MuthaF***in" Campbell) (2-10-09)

A friend got this early and I watched it last night... I was all set to buy the Blu-ray on Tuesday but now clearly, don't have to bother. What a piece of shit. I've been excited about this movie for a long time - on the 'Make Love' book tour Bruce told us about the concept and it sounded like the movie would be some serious badass fun... it isn't. It is better than his previous directorial effort but that isn't saying much at all.

Almost none of the jokes really work here, the effects are terrible (but I think that's almost on purpose) and the acting outside of Bruce is just atrocious. It's not even a B movie, more like a D movie... it is so cartoony and cheesey that I couldn't enjoy it at all... all the winking and mugging got grating. (I watched this and Repo last night and both would probably make my worst of '08 list if I was drafting that today...) Sure the few references to Bruce's career are amusing but everything else doesn't work... Such a great idea but the poor execution on all fronts kills it. Yuck.

Torchur317 02-05-09 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs (Post 9101315)
If you liked "Man with the Screaming Brain" or "Alien Apocalypse" you'd probably enjoy this.

Wow,Is that bad? lol

Torchur317 02-10-09 07:52 PM

Picked this up today, Did anyone else have trouble finding this?
Walmart, Target, Meijer, & a few other didn't have this....
I found it at Best Buy, they only had 2 more copies left....
Image must really want to make their money back fast tho.... lol
It was pretty expensive for a new release, no premier price but I'm sure it's worth it....
Stuck was also released by Image but it had much better distribution, what's up with this?

Torchur317 02-11-09 01:35 AM

Just finished this & it was alot better than "Man with the Screaming Brain". I'm glad it came no where close to that piece of crap "Alien Apocalypse". It was a little better than expected plus it was alot of fun & very entertaining. I wish they had some better actors in this because most of the supporting cast sucked. That was the main problem with this film besides that it's a wet dream for any Bruce Campbell fan.

TNAJason 02-13-09 08:29 PM

Coming from a HUGE Bruce Campbell fan,someone who even liked Jack of All Trades,Man with the Screaming Brain,and Alien Apocalypse. I thought it was really good until the ending. They ruined the movie with the ending IMO. But it might grow on me over the years. At least I know the commentary will prob live up to Campbell standards.

RocShemp 02-13-09 11:29 PM

Hey! Jack of All Trades might not be up to the standards of The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. but it's still a great show! :mad:

dsa_shea 02-14-09 09:10 AM

I'm watching this movie right now and it is a piece of shit. I'm glad I wasn't able to find a copy locally on Blu-Ray as it saved me some cash. There is no way that I would watch this movie more than once.

too much 02-14-09 09:28 AM

Yeah, this movie was horrible. Thank you Netflix!

Zodiac_Speaking 02-14-09 11:25 AM

Still wanna see it...might Netflix after the lukewarm feelings people have on it.

stingermck 02-14-09 06:07 PM

I liked it. Though I got my picture taken with him a few years back, so maybe i'm biased.

Torchur317 02-14-09 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking (Post 9266450)
Still wanna see it...

If you are a Bruce Campbell fan you'll really like it....

LickTheABCs 02-14-09 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Torchur317 (Post 9267035)
If you are a Bruce Campbell fan you'll really like it....

That's not true.

I'm a huge fan of The Chin and I was bored by it.

Torchur317 02-14-09 07:05 PM

Are you sure you are that much of a Bruce Campbell fan? :confused: ;) j/k
The script was pretty cleaver & any die hard fan should really dig it.
Bruce Campbell was in top form for this film, one of his best performances in awhile.
The supporting cast was what hurt the film for me, I understand if that's why.
Besides that it was exactly how I expected it to be....

dsa_shea 02-14-09 07:35 PM

I am a Bruce Campbell fan but this movie made me start second guessing what it is I like about him. It isn't the worst movie ever made but it should have been better coming from him. At some points in the movie I simply cringed because of what Bruce was doing on the screen. And that song they kept singing was embarrasing just to watch on tv. It didn't help that most of the secondary actors could probably suck asses better than they can act.

Torchur317 02-14-09 07:41 PM

I agree the music parts were horrible & most of the supporting cast were crap but....
Besides that it was what I expected & I liked it....

LickTheABCs 02-14-09 08:34 PM

The script was pretty cleaver & any die hard fan should really dig it.
I thought the exact opposite. I think the script thought it was clever, but wasn't.

Are you sure you are that much of a Bruce Campbell fan?
Dude, I sat through both Menno's Mind AND Icebreaker. Yeah, I think I qualify.

Torchur317 02-14-09 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs (Post 9267268)
Dude, I sat through both Menno's Mind AND Icebreaker. Yeah, I think I qualify.

He's made worse movies than that & I actually liked Icebreaker for what it was.

tylergfoster 02-14-09 08:57 PM

It wasn't an instant classic (Hollywood poking fun at itself is dead IMO), but I found it pleasant enough to watch and there were a handful of good one-liners.

LickTheABCs 02-14-09 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Torchur317 (Post 9267280)
He's made worse movies than that & I actually liked Icebreaker for what it was.

Agreed. But Serving Sara doesn't count.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Af1OxkFOK18&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Af1OxkFOK18&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mdc3000 02-15-09 03:08 PM

I ripped this movie a new one earlier in the thread and LOVE Campbell (met him, own Jack of All Trades on dvd, have seen most of his lesser titles like Alien Apocalypse etc.) so I'm sure that being a fan doesn't mean everyone will like it.