Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A question about a Godfather Part II scene (Major Spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A question about a Godfather Part II scene (Major Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: A question about a Godfather Part II scene (Major Spoilers)

Originally Posted by Brud110
Basically, if it came down to Michael attempting to kill Fredo now that their mother was dead, Fredo was armed & would not hesitate to kill Michael, or atleast try, before he could kill him.
Exactly. It was well established in these movies that Fredo was an ice cold badass killer. Plus, he's smart and he can handle things.
Old 12-03-11, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Exactly. It was well established in these movies that Fredo was an ice cold badass killer. Plus, he's smart and he can handle things.

(Very good.)
Old 12-03-11, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainet
I pretty much felt that once Michael gave Fredo the kiss of death from learning of Fredo's betrayal earlier, that he was a pretty much a goner.

Nope. Michael had absolutely no intention of killing his brother at that point in Cuba. His pleas to him later, "You are still my brother!" are genuine. That "kiss of death" moniker is just BS that will never, ever die. Coppola himself has said as much.
Old 12-04-11, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainet
+1

I remember when Godfather III came out. I couldn't find a few reviews from known critics at the time. I chalked it up that they couldn't write an unbiased review because it's the Godfather!

I always wondered what it would of been like if they released part III back in the 70's. Because by 1990 alot of the actors that played bit parts passed away. I'm still shocked they never made part III a few years after part II. Anyone knew why?

The biggest downfall in my eyes with the 1990 Godfather Part III wasn't so much the storyline or even Cappola's daughter, but not casting Robert Duvall as Tom Hagen. I don't care how big his money demands were. He wanted the same as Al Pacino from wha i've heard. Aside from Pacino, he would be the 2nd most important character in Part III in my eyes. Francis should of fought harder for him. This isn't just any movie but a 2nd sequal to not just one, but TWO masterpieces. From what i've read, there was also suppose to be a big storyline between Tom and Michael. Huge huge loss in my eyes.
They could have saved money by not having Diane Keaten in the movie.
Old 12-04-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brud110
No one seems to understand this scene....Except me! Let me explain... Look carefully at this scene when Michael embraces his brother Fredo. Connie did convince him to forgive Fredo & he ultimately would have spared his life but Fredo made yet another big mistake. If you notice, Michael actually frisks Fredo and finding a gun he was packing is when he looks up at Al Neri with that look that says.."i want him dead". Michaels thinking is this.. Why would Fredo bring a gun to their mothers funeral?!?! Basically, if it came down to Michael attempting to kill Fredo now that their mother was dead, Fredo was armed & would not hesitate to kill Michael, or atleast try, before he could kill him. Michael was forgiving him but once he knew he was armed at their mothers funeral..fredo had to go.
Glad you finally got here. Please begin explaining all the other scenes we have wrong.

Thanks
Old 12-04-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
They could have saved money by not having Diane Keaten in the movie.
I think it's possible that Michael was willing to forgive Fredo BUT, Fredo still defied him by not going with him. Then he showed his true colors, not risking the family's safety because he was stupid, but because he was stupid AND jealous of Michael. Then when pressed about knowing anything about the Pentageli mess he says he doesn't know anything, and finally, when Michael asks a second time he relents and says one of the senators is owned by Roth.

He realized that not only did Fredo almost get him and Kaye killed due to jealousy, but that he would be a constant liability.
Old 04-09-18, 12:07 PM

I just watched this again on netflix last night. That hug at the funeral again!
What a great movie!
Old 04-09-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Thanks for the update
Old 04-09-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I’ve never heard this fan theory about Michael frisking Fredo for a gun before. If Michael is frisking Fredo then Fredo is frisking Michael twice as much.

Here’s how it all goes down in the screenplay:

INT. MICHAEL'S HOUSE - DAY

Friends, relatives; Francesca and her new husband, Gardner
and their baby; Sandra Corleone; Teresa, her children; all
the familiar faces of the family are present, quietly paying
their respects to Mama.

Some of the men can be seen in the kitchen, drinking wine,
and talking in low voices.

Fredo is there, broken-hearted over the loss of his Mother;
like some lost child with no friends.

MED. VIEW

Michael enters the room, followed by Connie, who tends
little Mary and Anthony.

He approaches his brother, and then embraces. Fredo breaks
into tears.

FREDO
Christ, Mike. Jesus Christ, Mike.

VIEW ON MICHAEL

embracing his brother, he glances up.

VIEW ON NERI

quiet, and deadly.
Edit: didn’t realize I was replying to comments from 2011. It’s still valid though, this frisking fan theory doesn’t hold water... or should I say IT SLEEPS WITH THE FISHES?

I’ll just show myself out.