DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/543071-disturbing-films-made-you-feel-dirty-ashamed-after-watching.html)

wlj 11-05-08 01:05 PM

Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching...

what are some of the most disturbing films you have ever seen? i am talking about so disturbing that you needed to take a bath afterwords -- movies that you are ashamed after watching.

:)

for me:

--August Underground series -- especially the 2nd one Mordum: It is unbelievable how vile and disturbing Mordum is. I really can't imagine anything worse than the stuff that happens in the film. I felt like I had committed some crime after I watched the movie.

--Cannibal Holacaust -- the infamous film that i am certain all horror fans have heard of. It certainly lives up to the hype -- it is damn disturbing and I felt unclean after seeing it. The musical score it has sounds really weird with this type of movie.

--I Spit on Your Grave -- just read Roger Ebert's review -- http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...S/7160301/1023 they should have just titled the film "Gang Rape"

--Murder Set Pieces (UNRATED) -- that is the key word (unrated) -- don't get the (R) version. German Nazi photographer who is a psychopath. i think the gore was done by the same guy that did August Underground.

--Men Behind the Sun -- not really a horror film. it is based on true events of a japanese military base/camp that performs horrific tests on the chinese

--Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh and Blood -- supposedly in 1991 the actor Charlie Sheen mistook the second film of the series, Flowers of Flesh and Blood for a snuff film and contacted the FBI to report it. Don't know whether that is true or not. Anyway this "film" if you want to call it that -- just starts with a girl being kidnapped. then she is slowly cut to pieces by a weird chinese viking looking guy. It is very realistic gore -- i can see why someone my think it is a real snuff film.

that is all i can't think of right now -- i will edit if i think of more

Giles 11-05-08 01:09 PM

Gasper Noe's I Stand Alone

Norm de Plume 11-05-08 01:15 PM

The Traces of Death series. The video of live pigs being tortured to death with blowtorches is one of the most vile things ever captured on film.

Groucho 11-05-08 01:20 PM

The Hannah Montana movie.

wlj 11-05-08 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 9052874)
The Traces of Death series. The video of live pigs being tortured to death with blowtorches is one of the most vile things ever captured on film.

geez that does sound disturbing. damn that has me disturbed like hell just thinking about it -- are they filming a pork plant where workers are just torturing pigs or did the film makers just do it for the hell of it. my God.

i hate any kind of animal cruelty in films.

Cannibal Holocaust -- live turtle killed and gutted, muskrat stabbed, monkey decapitated.

Men Behind the Sun -- live cat throw in pit of hungry rats -- that is friggin disturbing and really had nothing to do with the film. it is as if the director said "We are missing some animal cruelty, do this."

Artman 11-05-08 01:25 PM

Silent Hill was probably the last one, the whole burning people alive (including a little girl) just doesn't make for a good time.... I'm pretty selective with what I watch so it doesn't happen too often.

wlj 11-05-08 01:37 PM

i forgot to mention "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer"

The Bus 11-05-08 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9052849)
Gasper Noe's I Stand Alone

Add to that Noé's Irréversible.

Norm de Plume 11-05-08 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 9052899)
geez that does sound disturbing. damn that has me disturbed like hell just thinking about it -- are they filming a pork plant where workers are just torturing pigs or did the film makers just do it for the hell of it. my God.

The context is never explained, as I recall. We just see one or two people disguised in those Hazmat-type suits carrying large blowtorches (not the welding kind, but the kind whose tank you carry on your back and whose torch spews masses of flames) and scorching the squealing pigs until their skin is bubbling and peeling and they lie on the ground quivering.
It's about as inhuman as anything I have seen, virtually on a par with the soul-shredding video of the Russian soldier being beheaded by Chechen rebels.

GuessWho 11-05-08 02:01 PM

Kids

wlj 11-05-08 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 9052971)
The context is never explained, as I recall. We just see one or two people disguised in those Hazmat-type suits carrying large blowtorches (not the welding kind, but the kind whose tank you carry on your back and whose torch spews masses of flames) and scorching the squealing pigs until their skin is bubbling and peeling and they lie on the ground quivering.

i don't think i could handle that...i can picture it in my head and it almost brings me to tears.

majorjoe23 11-05-08 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 9052826)
--I Spit on Your Grave -- just read Roger Ebert's review -- http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...S/7160301/1023 they should have just titled the film "Gang Rape"

This for me.

Larry C. 11-05-08 02:25 PM

I seen Henry and I spit on your grave both very good. I wanna see Murder Set Pieces UR, Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh and Blood and Mordum but they are hard to find.

sb5 11-05-08 02:31 PM

A lot of people have already brought up examples for my choice: any movie that contains actual animal abuse/killing. I can deal with most "disturbing" things in non-documentary movies because, despite how real it can seem, it's still just acting and/or special effects. But hurting/killing an animal just to make a movie is horrible, and completely unnecessary.

DonnachaOne 11-05-08 02:42 PM

Homotopia.

wlj 11-05-08 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sb5 (Post 9053063)
But hurting/killing an animal just to make a movie is horrible, and completing unnecessary.

i completely agree.

with regards to the post earlier:

Some people may say "Get over it -- it is only pigs." I understand we kill pigs for our consumption, however it is/supposed to be done in a quick humane way. Having worked in a turkey processing plant a few years back -- i had to walk through the "kill room" quite a bit -- turkeys were killed in a humane way. Pigs, cows, etc. should be done the same way.

Torturing an animal for pleasure or for a movie is absolutely despicable(sp?)

chris_sc77 11-05-08 02:54 PM

The passion of THE Christ

wlj 11-05-08 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 9053089)
Homotopia.

what is this one about? never heard of it

Dan1boy 11-05-08 02:58 PM

latest?

gotta be the remake of 'Funny Games'

i felt so durrrrrrty and ashamed and astonished all at the same time

Sonic 11-05-08 03:13 PM

Baby Cakes with Ricki Lake

wlj 11-05-08 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy (Post 9053145)
latest?

gotta be the remake of 'Funny Games'

i felt so durrrrrrty and ashamed and astonished all at the same time

i read a little about this one. i got as far as golden retriever/golf club --- i don't wanna watch. i can take someone torturing a dog.

FuQ 11-05-08 03:54 PM

Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengence, Audition, 3 Extremes, and Irreversible.

Rypro 525 11-05-08 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 9053253)
i read a little about this one. i got as far as golden retriever/golf club --- i don't wanna watch. i can take someone torturing a dog.

just as a notice (not really a spoiler but)
Spoiler:
its off screen, all you see is the dog already dead
Actually the scene where
Spoiler:
Michael Pitt kills the kid
is much worse

Zen Peckinpah 11-05-08 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9052886)
The Hannah Montana movie.

:lol: Post of the month.

And RE: Funny Games. I've seen the original, too unsettled to watch the remake despite Tim Roth and Naomi Watts being great actors. The golden retriever thing alone grounds me down...and this is someone who loves The Toxic Avenger!

Speaking of which, anything Troma.

iamiam 11-05-08 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by FuQ (Post 9053276)
Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengence, Audition

-eek-:eek: