Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Re: Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching...

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I do too, but that doesn't exclude how disturbing many scenes from those films are. The rape scene and the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible are disturbing to the say the least.
oh hell yeah
Old 04-22-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I wasn't all that impressed by Irreversible (at least, not enough to purchase for my collection), but the fire extinguisher scene is undoubtedly one of the most brutally realistic gore sequences ever filmed. Something never mentioned, but I found the breaking of the arm wincingly painful to watch. In my opinion, I Stand Alone is a much better, more disturbing film.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-23-24)
Old 04-24-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
^ I'm curious if you've seen All The Gods In The Sky, and what you might have thought of it. It's in the New French Extremity genre in a way, but I don't think it's nearly what some of those other flicks are. Of course, it has some extremely uncomfortable scenes, but it's a different kind of flick, and one I've thought about a lot since seeing it in October 2019.
I watched this the other night and thought it was really good. Interesting story, very nicely filmed, and pretty heartbreaking, at times.
Spoiler:
I really liked Zoé, the young girl that befriended Estelle. Zoé's kindness toward her took some of the sting out of the rest of the film, but in a believable way.

I think the actress has a good career ahead of her, assuming she sticks with it.

One of the toughest parts (apart from the childhood pistol scene) was when the dude threw the blanket over Estelle's head. Just heart wrenching.

Old 04-24-21, 10:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Dancer In The Dark
Requiem For A Dream
Bamboozled
Old 04-24-21, 10:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I watched this the other night and thought it was really good. Interesting story, very nicely filmed, and pretty heartbreaking, at times.
Spoiler:
I really liked Zoé, the young girl that befriended Estelle. Zoé's kindness toward her took some of the sting out of the rest of the film, but in a believable way.

I think the actress has a good career ahead of her, assuming she sticks with it.

One of the toughest parts (apart from the childhood pistol scene) was when the dude threw the blanket over Estelle's head. Just heart wrenching.

yeah, that whole scene was a tough watch...
​​​​​I own a copy of this... Really need to revisit it as it's been about a year and a half since I watched it. The Blu-ray has the short film version, but that (and the special features) unfortunately does not have subtitles. The feature film does though.
Old 04-25-21, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Not sure if this one has come up yet in the thread, but I happened to stumble upon Trauma (2017) by Lucio A. Rojas like a year ago and that one was... memorable. Not sure I’d recommend it. Admittedly, it was an unsettling experience - but I was also bored and checking in on “Oh, what’s the most recent A Serbian Film/etc.”

Trauma I recall being pretty competently made, well shot and paced. Based on some real life events (not sure how exaggerated). The opening scene is a pretty good barometer for the rest of the movie and it’s nuts. I was planning on just scrubbing through the movie and seeing what some of the fuss was about, but ended up watching it all.
I recently watched the BD I had of this earlier today. As mentioned previously, I've had it for a while now but it just got buried amongst many of the films that I had purchased since.

I agree with you in the film is competently made, as it's shot well and the (combination) FX work is fantastic.

There were quite a bit of times that I wondered how much of the film was firmly rooted in the (actual) atrocities of the reign Dictator Augusto Pinochet and how much used the same basis just to be as extreme as possible. I will say though that in comparison to A Serbian Film (2010), this film's message is a bit more clear, even through all the gore & sexualized violence.
Old 04-26-21, 05:28 PM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok, you guys made me watch Atroz (by mentioning it's on Tubi). Should I feel dirty and ashamed because I thought it was a good movie?

Granted, the violence sometimes seemed like it was just for shock value (e.g. the twistedly comic POV dildo), but maybe that was the point. Some good gore effects for a no budget film. The most horrifying thing in the movie is the (true) statement at the beginning that 98% of murders in Mexico go unsolved. That, along with the exploitation-lens look at the poverty and Goyo's abuse, help sell the nihilistic attitude of the film. Can't say I fully understood the ending, though.
Kurt D (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yes, you should feel ashamed that you thought it was good, but one man's trash...
Old 07-04-21, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Yes, it's interesting, although many scenes stretch out longer than they should. Intentionally. Like, there are early scenes with conversations about people from the characters' pasts that just go on and on long past the point of relevance to the plot. You're the proverbial fly-on-the-wall. But there are then scenes of some fairly nasty events, and just like those early scenes the camera just stays static while the bad shit happens.
I finally got a chance to watch the film this evening and I agree with the point you mentioned.

While there were a lot of things I enjoyed about the film, its absolutely sluggish, even at 107-minutes.
Old 11-13-21, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I just finished two more titles mentioned earlier in this thread: Claire Denis's Trouble Every Day and Elem Klimov's Come and See.

The Denis film is an odd duck in that it dares you to turn it off with two extremes: graphic violence and mind-numbing boredom. The two violent sequences are stomach-churning and will test the mettle of even seasoned horror fans. But those parts of the film only take up about 10-15 minutes of the running time. The rest is Vincent Gallo wandering around Paris or Béatrice Dalle stuck in a bedroom; you get the feeling that this is what reality TV would look like without producers creating conflict to spice up the proceedings. This is definitely not my cup of tea.

Come and See, meanwhile, is a nightmarish vision of war that dispenses with the neat plotting of most classic war movies, such as Bridge Over the River Kwai, Von Ryan's Express, and The Great Escape. Klimov's film makes you realize how incredibly sanitized those movies are by forcing you to experience the madness and confusion of an armed conflict. There are no epic gun battles between equally matched forces or missions to acquire enemy codes or to rescue POWs. Instead, we get people unable to defend themselves being the playthings of heavily armed sadists. Klimov ups the ante by making the protagonist a child soldier who starts as an innocent boy and ends up a nearly insane shell of a human being. Like Trouble Every Day, this is a film I had to force myself to finish; I really can't see watching Come and See being anybody's idea of fun. Same goes for Claire Denis's film.
Old 11-14-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I see that Trouble Every Day is available on Hoopla, for anyone with that service that wants to check it out.
Old 11-14-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
I just finished two more titles mentioned earlier in this thread: Claire Denis's Trouble Every Day and Elem Klimov's Come and See.

The Denis film is an odd duck in that it dares you to turn it off with two extremes: graphic violence and mind-numbing boredom. The two violent sequences are stomach-churning and will test the mettle of even seasoned horror fans. But those parts of the film only take up about 10-15 minutes of the running time. The rest is Vincent Gallo wandering around Paris or Béatrice Dalle stuck in a bedroom; you get the feeling that this is what reality TV would look like without producers creating conflict to spice up the proceedings. This is definitely not my cup of tea.

Come and See, meanwhile, is a nightmarish vision of war that dispenses with the neat plotting of most classic war movies, such as Bridge Over the River Kwai, Von Ryan's Express, and The Great Escape. Klimov's film makes you realize how incredibly sanitized those movies are by forcing you to experience the madness and confusion of an armed conflict. There are no epic gun battles between equally matched forces or missions to acquire enemy codes or to rescue POWs. Instead, we get people unable to defend themselves being the playthings of heavily armed sadists. Klimov ups the ante by making the protagonist a child soldier who starts as an innocent boy and ends up a nearly insane shell of a human being. Like Trouble Every Day, this is a film I had to force myself to finish; I really can't see watching Come and See being anybody's idea of fun. Same goes for Claire Denis's film.
Interesting to see a masterpiece mentioned in the same breath as a piece of garbage. Trouble Every Day is probably the worst of the New French Extremity subgenre, while Come and See is probably the best war film of all time.
Old 11-14-21, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I guess calling a movie 'the best war film of all time' depends on the metric you're using. From the interviews I watched, it sounded like Klimov wanted to document on film the genocide in Belarus in a dramatic narrative. To that end, I believe he succeeded in spades, and if achieving one's goal in making a film is the measure of success then Come and See scores an easy A+. It's just that the movie falls under the category of a well-made film that I really can't see myself ever sitting through again.

I'm tempted to put Trouble Every Day under the same category, but I don't admire Denis's filmmaking in that movie as much as I do Klimov's in his. I also have no clue what Denis was trying to say, so I can understand if TED isn't as popular as other New French Extremity titles.

Speaking of which, I also caught Sheitan. I can see why people upthread love Vincent Cassel's performance so much...he commits so totally to that wacko farmer. I have no idea why the kids were so determined to stay in the village after they saw their guide enjoy goat's milk in the most bizarre way possible.

Sheitan really worked for me...until the shit hits the fan on Christmas Eve and the narrative spirals out of control. I remember hearing in an interview (it may have been the making-of featurette that focused on Cassel) that the directors didn't have an ending in mind when they shot the film. If that were the case, that would explain why the wheels come flying off in the final act.

Still, it's 2/3 of a pretty solid movie, so I have no problem giving it a thumbs up.

P.S. This is a Christmas movie, folks. I'd be interested to see how it ranks when compared with Miracle on 34th Street or Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

Last edited by L Everett Scott; 11-15-21 at 12:03 AM.
Norm de Plume (11-15-21)
Old 11-15-21, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
Dancer In The Dark
Requiem For A Dream
Bamboozled
Bamboozled stuck with me in a bad way. Others of mine have been mentioned - Last House on the Left, Kids, Gummo, and Dogville,.
Old 11-15-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I guess calling a movie 'the best war film of all time' depends on the metric you're using. From the interviews I watched, it sounded like Klimov wanted to document on film the genocide in Belarus in a dramatic narrative. To that end, I believe he succeeded in spades, and if achieving one's goal in making a film is the measure of success then Come and See scores an easy A+. It's just that the movie falls under the category of a well-made film that I really can't see myself ever sitting through again.
I should have written, "one of the best war films", as there are other contenders, and it's all subjective besides. I haven't seen the Klimov opus in a number of years. I'll have to give it a fresh viewing. Denis's film I have no interest whatsoever in seeing again. I found it irredeemably boring. To me, genuinely disturbing and/or depressing films are mentally invigorating and deserve repeated viewings. I like to feel unsettled. It tells me the director has done a good job.
One of many lesser-known depressing (extremely depressing) films I'd like to see released on Blu-ray is Jeff Kanew's phenomenal Natural Enemies, with the one-and-only Hal Holbrook, a film that only ever had a long-ago VHS release.
Old 11-15-21, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I should have written, "one of the best war films", as there are other contenders, and it's all subjective besides. I haven't seen the Klimov opus in a number of years. I'll have to give it a fresh viewing. Denis's film I have no interest whatsoever in seeing again. I found it irredeemably boring. To me, genuinely disturbing and/or depressing films are mentally invigorating and deserve repeated viewings. I like to feel unsettled. It tells me the director has done a good job.
One of many lesser-known depressing (extremely depressing) films I'd like to see released on Blu-ray is Jeff Kanew's phenomenal Natural Enemies, with the one-and-only Hal Holbrook, a film that only ever had a long-ago VHS release.
I know I watched Trouble Every Day, because I like Vincent Gallo, but mainly as a writer/director. Strange thing is, I don't really remember it, and I'm sure it was within the last few years. I guess that speaks to how good I thought it was.

I did enjoy White Material, by Claire Denis.
Norm de Plume (11-16-21)
Old 04-09-22, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so happy this thread is still going......
Old 04-09-22, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Ah this thread comes back to life. I got a huge laugh out of this thread some years ago as it started out as the OP intended but drifted into a magnet for all the sickos to trade film leads. "Hey you liked that movie? Check out this one!" Funny as hell.
Yes sir I remember being super active in this tread back in the day.
Old 04-09-22, 10:32 AM

I finally took a shot at Trouble Every Day on Shudder the other day. Maybe it was a cut version? I understood what was going on in those particular scenes but they didn't seem terribly hard to handle to me at all. Maybe I'm just inured to such things.
Old 04-09-22, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I think for a lot of people, it's a matter of contrast. Most of the film is a like a Paris travelogue with Vincent Gallo telling you nothing about the places he's visiting. Those parts of the film are incredibly mundane, so the flesh-eating scenes by comparison are quite shocking. If you compare those scenes with graphically violent sequences from other movies, like Inside, for instance, then they'll probably seem kind of tame.

It also depends on how you feel about the depiction of cannibalism on film. The idea of consuming human flesh makes me queasy to begin with, so even though I know I'm watching actors pretend to perform that act in something like Trouble Every Day, it still gets to me.
Old 04-09-22, 08:55 PM

^ I think for a lot of people, it's a matter of contrast. Most of the film is a like a Paris travelogue with Vincent Gallo telling you nothing about the places he's visiting. Those parts of the film are incredibly mundane, so the flesh-eating scenes by comparison are quite shocking. If you compare those scenes with graphically violent sequences from other movies, like Inside, for instance, then they'll probably seem kind of tame.

It also depends on how you feel about the depiction of cannibalism on film. The idea of consuming human flesh makes me queasy to begin with, so even though I know I'm watching actors pretend to perform that act in something like Trouble Every Day, it still gets to me.
For what it's worth, I thought it was a good, powerful movie. As far as cannibalism goes, scenes of cooking and eating human flesh bother me more than just mowing down on someone's labia while they're still kicking, for whatever reason.
Old 04-24-24, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Bumping this because I love this thread and I watched a movie last night that I have seen on various lists that some consider disturbing.

The House That Jack Built is a decent movie with a couple of disturbing scenes but is bloated and almost dull at times. It is about a serial killer and split into 5 different scenes that are of varying "disturbability." Matt Dillion is good in it as are the other actors, but the movie feels too pretentious and self-indulgent to be considered great.

Don't believe the hype.

This thread needs to continue as it is the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 04-24-24, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I admit always wondering what "bumped" it.

Fortunately or Unfortunately I don't have anything recent to add...
Old 04-24-24, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Bumping this because I love this thread and I watched a movie last night that I have seen on various lists that some consider disturbing.

The House That Jack Built is a decent movie with a couple of disturbing scenes but is bloated and almost dull at times. It is about a serial killer and split into 5 different scenes that are of varying "disturbability." Matt Dillion is good in it as are the other actors, but the movie feels too pretentious and self-indulgent to be considered great.

Don't believe the hype.

This thread needs to continue as it is the gift that keeps on giving.
The movie felt improvised at times with a couple of disturbing scenes tossed in to "sell" the movie beyond arthouse audiences. Not recommended to anyone but the director's fans and adventurous arthouse lovers.