Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching...

Old 08-02-15, 03:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Disturbing films that made you feel dirty and ashamed after watching...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0kXpUaQpXMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i gotta say, this one looks eerie, in that Jacob's Ladder / The Skin I Live In sort of way that i enjoy with disturbingly psychological and cerebral films.
Old 08-02-15, 04:00 AM

in addition, i second 'In A Glass Cage'. I'm sure some of these were mentioned pages and pages ago within this thread, but here are some of my favorite disturbing pics just to give a little added bump:

Twentynine Palms (Bruno Dumont)
Trouble Every Day (Claire Denis)
Martyrs
Begotten
Inside
The Butcher Boy
Come and See
.rec
The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover
Irreversible
Imprint (Takashi Miike's 'Masters of Horror' entry that got banned)
Possession (Andrzej Zulawski)
The Reflecting Skin
Tourist Trap (campy, but fucking strange)
Jacob's Ladder
The Woman
Salo: 120 Days of Sodom
Caligula (unrated)
1900 / Novecento (Bernardo Bertolucci, totally not meant to be disturbing, but got under my skin)
Funny Games
In A Glass Cage
Ex-Drummer (just really... fucking... strange)
Palindromes (Todd Solondz)
Visitor Q
Kill List
Eyes Without A Face
Old 08-02-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

^^ Eyes without a Face has an extra by the same director. Blood of Beasts is about slaughterhouses in 1940s Paris. It's available on YouTube.

The most disturbing movie I've seen this year is Graphic Sexual Horror, a documentary about an early, extreme BDSM website. The owner had such a strong vision of what he wanted that it's influenced every BDSM website since then. One of the takeaways is that if you make a hell of a lot of money, you lose perspective. Another is that if you offer model enough money, you can abuse her.
Old 08-03-15, 07:53 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alright, over the weekend I saw a couple of movies that make it on alot of the lists here. Both movies were fantastic.

A Requiem for a Dream -- This was a great movie. It was shot so well and the actors/actresses were very good. The mom, can't remember her name, should have won an oscar she was amazing. I wasn't too disturbed by it but the one scene at the end was damned extreme lol.

Martyrs -- I really enjoyed this film. However, I don't get why some people are so disturbed by it. Maybe I have just become desensitized too much now. It was also a very well made film. Very impressive

Last edited by wlj; 08-03-15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-26-17, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new movie "Detroit" by Kathryn Bigelow is said by many IMDB reviewers to be disturbing: "Prepare to get very, very angry..." "What you witness will disturb you and leave a lasting imprint, I have to say that the one word that best describes this film is; traumatic."

Last edited by cloudeleven; 08-27-17 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-26-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Suicide Squad
Old 08-27-17, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 08-29-17, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I came.
Old 01-07-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I watched this unassuming Australian flick, Hounds of Love (dumb title), today, and was surprised by how harrowing it was. I'm not easily fazed, but this was cumulatively disturbing because of the thoroughly convincing acting and low-key, kitchen-sink approach. It fits well in this thread. Like Snowtown, it is based (loosely here) on a true Aussie case (David and Catherine Birnie), but I found this far more effective than Snowtown.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 01-07-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We finally saw The Piano Teacher. We didn't like very much. It's a basically dreary movie about awful people doing bad things to each other, with a nihilistic ending.

I preferred The Night Porter, another dreary movie with a nihilistic ending, but it an interesting political subtext. It says: "We are living with people all around us who still think the Nazis were hawt."

Neither movie was all that disturbing. I try to stay away from the movies that I think will mess me up.
Old 02-20-18, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Old 02-20-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
We finally saw The Piano Teacher. We didn't like very much. It's a basically dreary movie about awful people doing bad things to each other, with a nihilistic ending.

I preferred The Night Porter, another dreary movie with a nihilistic ending, but it an interesting political subtext. It says: "We are living with people all around us who still think the Nazis were hawt."

Neither movie was all that disturbing. I try to stay away from the movies that I think will mess me up.
I spoke too soon. Mrs Danger was still disturbed by The Piano Teacher the next day.
Old 02-20-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like The Piano Teacher.

Here's my pick for the day. I haven't seen it in years and should watch it again. Shamefully, not out on DVD.

Old 02-20-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I like The Piano Teacher.
I like just about everything by Michael Haneke.
Speaking of which, we need a Blu Ray for Cache.
Old 02-20-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
I like just about everything by Michael Haneke.
He's one of my favourite directors as well, though a few of his films I didn't like. Of those I have seen, I strongly disliked Code Unknown, and Time of the Wolf and Der Kopf des Mohren (which he only wrote, but bears his unmistakable stamp) were only OK, I thought.
Old 02-20-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

He's one of my favourite directors as well, though a few of his films I didn't like. Of those I have seen, I strongly disliked Code Unknown, and Time of the Wolf and Der Kopf des Mohren (which he only wrote, but bears his unmistakable stamp) were only OK, I thought.
Upon first viewing I disliked both Code Unknown and Time of the Wolf. After giving them a second chance, I did a complete 180. I wouldn't put them up there with his best (Cache, The White Ribbon, The Piano Teacher), but IMO they are still good films. My least favorite of his is the remake of Funny Games.
Old 02-21-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Upon first viewing I disliked both Code Unknown and Time of the Wolf. After giving them a second chance, I did a complete 180. I wouldn't put them up there with his best (Cache, The White Ribbon, The Piano Teacher), but IMO they are still good films. My least favorite of his is the remake of Funny Games.
His movies are definitely divisive. I love Cache and Code Unknown (I especially love the long takes he does in his movies, especially the long take down the street in the latter). While I prefer the original Funny Games, I thought the remake was quite well done, mainly cause I like all of the actors involved (Naomi Watts, Tim Roth, Michael Pitt, and Brady Corbet). I actually re-watched that just a couple of weekends ago and still like it...Not something I'll watch every year but it's always a movie I'll cherish...

Didn't see The Piano Teacher until I picked up Criterion's recent release. I enjoyed it...It's disturbing...and Isabelle Huppert is great...

The White Ribbon on the other hand? Hated it. Did not understand the acclaim it got. I know there's the whole "rise of Nazism" analogy but I just didn't completely buy that...The camerawork was good, though...Just felt it was a drag to get through...

Have always wanted to see many of his other films, but I'm holding off until more are available on Blu-Ray (Region A)...Maybe Criterion will get access to more of them...

BTW, his interviews are always fascinating...I watched the extras on The Piano Teacher Criterion and I thought they were pretty illuminating...
Old 02-21-18, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goonies85
His movies are definitely divisive. I love Cache and Code Unknown (I especially love the long takes he does in his movies, especially the long take down the street in the latter). While I prefer the original Funny Games, I thought the remake was quite well done, mainly cause I like all of the actors involved (Naomi Watts, Tim Roth, Michael Pitt, and Brady Corbet). I actually re-watched that just a couple of weekends ago and still like it...Not something I'll watch every year but it's always a movie I'll cherish...

Didn't see The Piano Teacher until I picked up Criterion's recent release. I enjoyed it...It's disturbing...and Isabelle Huppert is great...

The White Ribbon on the other hand? Hated it. Did not understand the acclaim it got. I know there's the whole "rise of Nazism" analogy but I just didn't completely buy that...The camerawork was good, though...Just felt it was a drag to get through...

Have always wanted to see many of his other films, but I'm holding off until more are available on Blu-Ray (Region A)...Maybe Criterion will get access to more of them...

BTW, his interviews are always fascinating...I watched the extras on The Piano Teacher Criterion and I thought they were pretty illuminating...
In about two hours, I've managed the post count it took you two years to achieve.
Old 02-21-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
In about two hours, I've managed the post count it took you two years to achieve.
Ha. Longtime lurker. Just started posting more frequently cause I recently was laid off...Not much else to do at the moment...Just bored and figured I might as well start making posts...
Old 02-21-18, 05:16 PM
Banned

Ha. Longtime lurker. Just started posting more frequently cause I recently was laid off...Not much else to do at the moment...Just bored and figured I might as well start making posts...
Me too, buddy. Me too.
Old 02-21-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
Me too, buddy. Me too.
No worries, man. I know what it's like. Sent out resumes...Waiting to hear back...In the meantime, might as well watch more movies...Ha...Plan on watching Wes Craven's "Shocker" and George Romero's "The Dark Half" and "Monkey Shines" tonight...
Old 02-21-18, 05:25 PM
Banned

No worries, man. I know what it's like. Sent out resumes...Waiting to hear back...In the meantime, might as well watch more movies...Ha...Plan on watching Wes Craven's "Shocker" and George Romero's "The Dark Half" and "Monkey Shines" tonight...
Enjoy!

PS Sent ya a PM.
Old 02-23-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I watched this unassuming Australian flick, Hounds of Love (dumb title), today, and was surprised by how harrowing it was.
One of my favorite films released in 2017. Extremely claustrophobic.
Old 02-23-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

This would make a good job interview question.
Old 02-23-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

I loved it though maybe I should have been repulsed

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.