DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Michael Crichton dead at 66 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/543069-michael-crichton-dead-66-a.html)

BJacks 11-05-08 12:30 PM

Michael Crichton dead at 66

The medical doctor-turned-superstar-author Michael Crichton has passed away unexpectedly after a battle with cancer. He was 66.

Crichton enjoyed critical and commercial success with a series of bestselling novels, often invoking scientific themes surrounding biology and genetics. Hollywood mined a number of his novels, translating them into such hit films as “The Andromeda Strain,” “Rising Sun,” “Disclosure,” “Congo,” “Sphere,” and the blockbuster “Jurassic Park” franchise, of which a fourth installment is currently in development.

In a statement released to MTV News, a representative for the Crichton family said: “While the world knew him as a great storyteller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us — and entertained us all while doing so — his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes. Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand. He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget.”

Along with co-writing screenplays for “Jurassic Park” and “Twister” and directing “Coma,” Crichton was also the creator of the long-running NBC series “ER.”

Kal-El 11-05-08 12:36 PM

I've read almost all of his books. Kinda sad that I won't be able to anymore. RIP

E Unit 11-05-08 12:43 PM

Son of a bitch, I just found out. Godspeed Mr. Crichton. He was the one who got me into reading books when I realized they can be quite entertaining. I will truly miss the excitement of reading a novel of his. I'll have to pull out Travels again.

mdc3000 11-05-08 12:51 PM

Jurassic Park was a novel I read again and again as a kid, before the movie came out, and my love of reading grew from there. I read just about everything else he wrote and really enjoyed his last book NEXT. He will definitely be missed... RIP.

JackBurton 11-05-08 12:56 PM

Bummer. :rip:

Palaver 11-05-08 01:01 PM

Whoa. Didn't see that coming at all. I really enjoyed his books. Horrible news.

:rip:

The Bus 11-05-08 01:18 PM

Well, I know he had one more book left to go and it was coming out this fall.

:rip: Sad news. Probably the only mainstream author whose books I read fervently. I highly recommend his autobiography, Travels.

Michael Corvin 11-05-08 01:33 PM

Definitely sad news. I'm a few novels behind. Last one I read was Prey. I wonder if ER will do something special for him. Probably too late to add a memoriam title card to tomorrow's episode.

Jurassic Park is my most read/favorite book. I try and re-read it every summer since it came out.

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 9052720)
I've read almost all of his books. Kinda sad that I won't be able to anymore. RIP

Why, did someone steal all your Crichton books?

Geofferson 11-05-08 01:37 PM

:(

Such sad news -- I always read his books (and enjoyed the vast majority).

Dr Mabuse 11-05-08 01:49 PM

He wrote interesting books.

I didn't even know he was sick, he must have kept it private.

R.I.P.

E Unit 11-05-08 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9052884)
Well, I know he had one more book left to go and it was coming out this fall.

:rip: Sad news. Probably the only mainstream author whose books I read fervently. I highly recommend his autobiography, Travels.

I just read this from abcnews.com - hope it isn't true cause that would really suck, unless he wasn't finished with it -

"A new novel by Crichton had been tentatively scheduled to come next month, but publisher HarperCollins said the book was postponed indefinitely because of his illness."

And yes, I loved reading Travels as well. I think I've read it twice already.

chris_sc77 11-05-08 02:13 PM

This isn't cool at all. I love and really like the movies that were based on his books.
JP 1 and the Lost world, Sphere, Congo. Thats some good fun entertainment.
RIP

Numanoid 11-05-08 02:19 PM

Never read his books, but I'm a big fan of his movies as writer and/or director.

OldBoy 11-05-08 02:52 PM

posted in book talk. very sad.

rw2516 11-05-08 03:02 PM

Westworld is another great movie he gave us.

Kal-El 11-05-08 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9052919)

Why, did someone steal all your Crichton books?

I misspoke. I meant new books. Aside from the last one he was working on of course.

Dane 11-05-08 03:28 PM

One of the greatest Sci-fi writers of our time. He will be missed.

Zen Peckinpah 11-05-08 03:50 PM

Great mainstream author and part-time filmmaker. Just saw Westworld for the first time a few months back and liked it a lot.

He was married to Anne-Marie Martin, Dori from Sledge Hammer! for a number of years too.

Ace Of Spades 11-05-08 04:20 PM

RIP. Loved his stuff.

GoldenJCJ 11-05-08 05:33 PM

This sucks.

I've read almost all of his books, I've always considered them to be equivalent to comfort food - not the best but damn enjoyable!

regardless of his writing style the man had one of the greatest imaginations I've ever experienced, Crichton was able to come up with some wildly inventive ideas.

Michael Corvin 11-05-08 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9053015)
This isn't cool at all. I love and really like the movies that were based on his books.
JP 1 and the Lost world, Sphere, Congo. Thats some good fun entertainment.
RIP

The Lost World movie is not based on the Lost World book.

Draven6593 11-05-08 07:56 PM

I didn't know he wasn't well. This is unfortunate.

RIP.

dpz301 11-05-08 08:35 PM

RIP. Had no idea he was sick either. Love JP and several of his other movies. Interesting note from above that I wasn't aware of either, there is a 4th installment coming out.

MaxMFP 11-06-08 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9053714)
The Lost World movie is not based on the Lost World book.

Either way both the movie and the book sucked.

Rad14 11-06-08 08:28 AM

Very sad news! I remember when Westworld first came out and it blew a lot of people away with its concept. Of course Mr.Crichton went onto bigger things.

What a talent!

Another one gone...