DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Last Dragon -Remake- w/ Samuel L. Jackson as Sho'nuff (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/542653-last-dragon-remake-w-samuel-l-jackson-shonuff.html)

stingermck 10-30-08 11:38 AM

The Last Dragon -Remake- w/ Samuel L. Jackson as Sho'nuff

A friend of mine just sent me this, and I didnt see it posted. This should be awesome! Now who could be Leroy?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...b5f91d3f122278

It's another heavy role for Samuel L. Jackson.

Having most recently played a dirty cop in "Lakeview Terrace," Jackson is set to star as a bad guy again in Columbia Pictures' remake of Berry Gordy's 1985 cult classic "The Last Dragon."

Jackson will play Sho'nuff, the Shogun of Harlem, a role played in the original by the late Julius Carry, whose spiel included asking ego-driven questions like "Am I the baddest mofo lowdown around this town?" Each time his gang of thugs answered, "Sho 'nuff!"

Davis Entertainment's John Davis and Gordy's son Kerry Gordy are producing.

Penning the screenplay as well as producing is Dallas Jackson, who heads up the urban family label DJ Classicz with Davis. Wu-Tang Clan's RZA is co-producing.

The updated plot will be along the same lines of the original, centering on young martial arts student Leroy Green in his quest through the streets of New York to achieve the highest level of martial arts accomplishment, known as the Last Dragon. Those who achieve the high ranking possess the Glow, making them the greatest fighter alive.

The project, announced by Columbia presidents Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach, will take a new look at "Last Dragon" coinciding with the 50th anniversary of Motown next year.

"We're thrilled to be working with Kerry Gordy as he continues his father's legacy, and we're confident that he along with John and Dallas are the perfect team to develop the project," Belgrad said. "They will capture everything that people love about the original while also bringing a fresh edge to the remake."

The original, which also starred one-namers Taimak and then-Prince protege Vanity, was released in March 1985 by TriStar Pictures and received lukewarm reviews by critics like Roger Ebert, who gave it 2 1/2 stars and said it was a "great near-miss."

Despite the reviews, "Last Dragon" did well at the boxoffice, grossing nearly $26 million. It soon became a cult classic for scenes like Bruce Lee follower Green remaining so loyal to the martial arts star that he eats his popcorn in a movie theater with chopsticks.

"I'm a huge fan of the original and look forward to bringing Sho'Nuff into the 21st century," Jackson said.

Jackson, repped by ICM and Anonymous Content, made a surprise cameo in the summer blockbuster "Iron Man" and the sci-fi action film "Jumper." He also stars with the late Bernie Mac in "Soul Men," which opens Christmas Day, and Frank Miller's upcoming "The Spirit."

riotinmyskull 10-30-08 11:41 AM

stupid idea. stop remaking my childhood hollywood.

TheNightFlier 10-30-08 11:47 AM

I'll see it.

Snowmaker 10-30-08 11:56 AM

He's too old for this.

Charlie Goose 10-30-08 12:57 PM

He is indeed a tad too old for that role, but that doesn't prevent this from getting the.....

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...om/awesome.jpg

Thrush 10-31-08 12:54 AM

You know what? I loathe remakes as much as the next guy. And yes Sam is too old for this. And I don't think anyone will ever duplicate the awesomeness of Julius Carry's Shon'uff. But god damn if not excited to see what they do with this.

Its all about the glow.

JeffTheAlpaca 10-31-08 01:58 AM

Who will play the Taimek and Vanity roles?

wm lopez 10-31-08 02:03 AM

Who will replay Vanity's part I wonder?
How about that MTV veejay.

wm lopez 10-31-08 02:03 AM

Who will replay Vanity's part I wonder?
How about that MTV veejay.

Original Desmond 02-07-09 01:57 AM

Re: The Last Dragon -Remake- w/ Samuel L. Jackson as Sho'nuff

The last dragon is one of my fav guilty pleasure movies

I don't think the cheesy mix of kung fu, blaxploitation, motown and camp comedy can ever be replicated

No one i mean no one will match the original Shonuff

I will see the remake for sure but don't hold out high hopes

LickTheABCs 02-07-09 10:27 AM

Another terrible, terrible idea.

Having said that.. I'll see it. But only because the original rules!

stingermck 06-08-09 03:59 PM

RZA eyes Chris Brown for 'Last Dragon' remake

Hip-hop maestro and executive producer RZA has been quoted as stating that he wants R&B singer Chris Brown to portray "Leroy Brown," aka "Bruce Leroy," in the upcoming remake of THE LAST DRAGON. He is also hoping to cast fellow R&B star Rihanna.

RZA has already spoken to Brown and the singer has expressed his interest. "I holla’d at Chris and he seemed very interested,” said RZA while speaking to XXL. “I never—I didn’t holla at Rihanna. But I holla’d at Chris one day. You know we came across each other in the studio, and I saw him at one of those award shows, and I said, ‘I really got you at the top of the list to bring this character back’ and he said—that he actually loved the character. He said he loved Bruce Lee and he’s a fan of THE LAST DRAGON. I was like, wow, that’s cool cause there’s four of us that votes on it, but my vote is on him.”

The conversation took place before Brown was arrested and charged with felony assault against alleged victim and girlfriend Rihanna. Yet RZA told XXL that the controversy had not changed his mind.

"I’m still with it. Yea, I think it adds even more of a dynamic so he could do good on the screen. I’m one of those kinds of directors though. I’m one of those kind of people that loves to get dynamic."

In the original LAST DRAGON, Taimak portrayed a New York martial artist on a mission to discover the final mastery of martial arts known as the glow. Through a journey of music, comedy and martial arts action, he battles evil martial arts master Sho'nuff and rescues a beautiful singer from a corrupt music promoter.

In a recent interview with Kung Fu Cinema, Taimak stated that he will be making an appearance in the remake. Samuel L. Jackson has already agreed to portray Sho'nuff.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/rza-eyes...on-remake-7993

Thrush 06-09-09 03:34 AM

Chris Brown = Insta fail

Hopefully whatever studio is backing this will put the kibosh on Brown.

FantasticVSDoom 06-09-09 08:17 AM

Please tell me the Chris Brown rumor is an Onion article... I mean they can't be serious right?

Charlie Goose 06-09-09 08:53 AM

It won't be Chris Brown, don't worry.

Leroy will likely be a no-name.

majorjoe23 06-09-09 08:54 AM

If he somehow got both of them, and Rianna's character kick's Chris Brown's character's ass, I could see it getting some attention.

More like she would say no and he would say yes and the movie would face an extra hurdle of starring "The guy who beat up Rianna."