Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is The Ice Harvest any good?

Old 10-29-08, 07:46 PM
Ram
Banned

Is The Ice Harvest any good?

Just bought for $5 Buck at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-29-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a fan of Cusack, Thornton, and Ramis, so I picked it up. I guess you can call it a very dark comedy. I enjoyed it, the story kept going in different directions then expected.

For $5 you can't really go wrong.
Old 10-29-08, 09:29 PM
Banned

Wow, I didn't know it could be had that cheap. I like the movie real well, and I'm going to grab one tomorrow.
Old 10-29-08, 11:46 PM
Banned

The movie sucks. You should've bought some cheap microwave popcorn with those bills instead and rewatched High Fidelity.
Old 10-30-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was excited for this but thought it was terrible. But for $5 you can probably afford to watch it and not feel terrible if you don't like it.
Old 10-30-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're gonna feel ripped off dude.
Old 10-30-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

two of my fav actors and it felt like a chore having to finish it. Horrible.
Old 10-30-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I liked it, but these guys saying it sucked makes me wonder if I'm thinking of the right movie. For $5, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 10-30-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bad film. Not even worth a rental.
Old 10-30-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

u will be surprised how different it's and how better than what ppl say it's...enjoy.
Old 10-30-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It has some good people in it, but it's thoroughly mediocre.
Old 10-30-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
u will be surprised how different it's and how better than what ppl say it's...enjoy.

Huh!?
Old 10-31-08, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, technically "it's" IS a contraction of "it is"...

I thought it was okay. Not a masterpiece, not horrible. Billy Bob Thornton has at least one truly great line, right before the sequence with the metal box pictured on the cover, which is pretty amusing. The performances, for me, carry the rest of the movie.

I wouldn't call it a waste for $5.
Old 10-31-08, 12:02 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

ICE HARVEST and KISS KISS BANG BANG both came out about the same time, and make a great double feature ... IF you get into their very dark and warped humor. If I may be excused for making a somewhat obvious observation here, you'll be entertained if you do, and disappointed if you don't.
Old 10-31-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it.
Old 10-31-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the hate for "The Ice Harvest" -- it's a great neo-noir black comedy. I think it'd be better with one of the alternate endings.
Old 10-31-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a decent flick.
Old 11-01-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bad. There is a reason it is $5 at Wal-Mart.

This movie couldn't even figure out if it was taking place in Wichita, KS or Wichita Falls, TX.
Old 11-01-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ketamine View Post
Bad. There is a reason it is $5 at Wal-Mart.
Yeah, it's more than a year old. You can also find Rio Grande, Airplane!, and Robocop in the bargain bins.

This movie couldn't even figure out if it was taking place in Wichita, KS or Wichita Falls, TX.
What the hell are you talking about?
Old 11-02-08, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Yeah, it's more than a year old. You can also find Rio Grande, Airplane!, and Robocop in the bargain bins.
Surely (pun intended) you are not going to compare this movie to those listed above are you? BTW: those movies are just a touch older than Ice Harvest. Some movies are in bargin bin because they are old, some are there because they are bad. 46% on RT and 5.5/10 rating tell me most don't agree with you that this movie is any good. To each their own.

What the hell are you talking about?
A couple times this movie makes reference to Wichita Falls. The movie was set in Wichita so no idea what relevence Wichita Falls had in this movie unless the director didn't know the difference.
Old 11-03-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ketamine View Post
Surely (pun intended) you are not going to compare this movie to those listed above are you?
No, and I'm not. I'm making the point that being in the bargain bin doesn't mean anything about quality.

BTW: those movies are just a touch older than Ice Harvest. Some movies are in bargin bin because they are old, some are there because they are bad.
You are obviously not a bargain hunter -- quality has nothing to do with whether a film ends up in the bargain bin. A History of Violence, Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind, and Broken Flowers also appear in bargain bins.

A couple times this movie makes reference to Wichita Falls. The movie was set in Wichita so no idea what relevence Wichita Falls had in this movie unless the director didn't know the difference.
The only reference to Wichita Falls is the graffiti Cusack keeps writing on bathroom walls -- "As Wichita falls so falls Wichita Falls." It's metaphorical and has nothing to do with where Wichita and Wichita Falls are in relation with each other. It's hard to take your opinion seriously when your big complaint is based on you misunderstanding something basic.
Old 11-05-08, 07:24 PM

No, and I'm not. I'm making the point that being in the bargain bin doesn't mean anything about quality.

You are obviously not a bargain hunter -- quality has nothing to do with whether a film ends up in the bargain bin. A History of Violence, Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind, and Broken Flowers also appear in bargain bins.

The only reference to Wichita Falls is the graffiti Cusack keeps writing on bathroom walls -- "As Wichita falls so falls Wichita Falls." It's metaphorical and has nothing to do with where Wichita and Wichita Falls are in relation with each other. It's hard to take your opinion seriously when your big complaint is based on you misunderstanding something basic.
I understand there are good movies that are cheap. There are also a lot of crappy movies in there and this was one of them IMHO. Again, poor reviews and less than $10 million at the box office with a cast like that and you don't understand that someone didn't like it? Glad you liked it, but most did not obviously. Sorry I can't remember enough about this forgettable movie to have a point by point discussion why I didn't like it. I just remember being glad it was over.

Please explain "As Wichita falls so falls Wichita Falls" since it was so profound in your opinion.
Old 11-05-08, 07:36 PM

Yup,It's a pretty damn good film....
Old 11-06-08, 06:39 AM

I liked it.
Old 11-06-08, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torchur317 View Post
Yup,It's a pretty damn good film....

Nope, it's not.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.