DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Zac Efron to star in 'Footloose" remake (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/542536-zac-efron-star-footloose-remake.html)

Match 10-28-08 04:38 PM

Zac Efron to star in 'Footloose" remake

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1238&cs=1

Mid-seven-figure salary and give him script approval? Are they serious?

This movie should never be remade.

Groucho 10-28-08 04:40 PM

No Lehi Roller Mills = No Sale

NoirFan 10-28-08 04:43 PM

Still, looks infinitely superior to this.

NiCK Crush 10-28-08 04:54 PM

Script approval? Is he really THAT accomplished?

Seantn 10-28-08 05:09 PM

It's not that confusing. He's a big star right now with young people. They want to strike while the iron is hot, especially after the huge opening of High School Musical 3, so they threw tons of money at him and script approval. They know in 3-5 years he won't be as big a star, so they want to do this movie now on the fast track.

GuessWho 10-28-08 05:32 PM

Sounds like they're doing a film version of the Broadway version, making it a musical.

MaxMFP 10-28-08 05:55 PM

I hate Hollywood.

dx23 10-28-08 10:30 PM

Welcome to July:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...footloose.html

big whoppa 10-29-08 01:50 AM

It was the Soundtrack that made this movie a hit. Anyway, are we supposed to believe a town in 2008 forbids dancing?

hitmanjules 10-29-08 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa (Post 9035561)
It was the Soundtrack that made this movie a hit. Anyway, are we supposed to believe a town in 2008 forbids dancing?

Damn straight on both your points! :rimshot:

Unless... they set it in the 80's? Capitalize on what they hope would be 80's nostalgia like the 50's nostalgia in the 80's?

I always thought the small town scenes from Footloose and Superman II were a (maybe) accurate snapshot of life for those who didn't live in the major coastal cities.

dx23 10-29-08 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa (Post 9035561)

Have you ever been to Utah?

Goat3001 10-29-08 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn (Post 9034782)
It's not that confusing. He's a big star right now with young people. They want to strike while the iron is hot, especially after the huge opening of High School Musical 3, so they threw tons of money at him and script approval. They know in 3-5 years he won't be as big a star, so they want to do this movie now on the fast track.

Exactly the reason they're doing this but I still think giving him script approval is ridiculously over the top.

Zen Peckinpah 10-29-08 10:05 AM

Fuck Zac Efron. Fuck his pretty face and his blue eyes straight out of Dune. But like Seantn said, his star is undoubtedly going to cool.

However, when I read about a Fox-distributed Jonas Brothers movie I was initially angered to no end. But then I read the title, Walter the Farting Dog, and started laughing hysterically at the idea of the Jonas Brothers being unable to perform their horrid music due to a farting dog. If the dog farts ON them (preferably the 8-year-old who isn't in the band or the one that dated Miley Cyrus), world peace could potentially be achieved. Also it sounds like a movie Jack Black's character in Tropic Thunder would make in a heartbeat, so of course I couldn't take it as seriously as the Footloose remake. It'll still suck infinitely though.

mdc3000 10-29-08 12:37 PM

I think Efron's actually a pretty talented guy and although he'll cool down from being the tiger beat heart throb, I think there is a chance he could transition like DiCaprio did... I know lots of people here seem to hate him, but we'll see... I think the guy will be around for a while, especially if he balances his choices (ie. HSM3 and Me and Orson Welles in the same year).

argh923 10-29-08 01:40 PM

Who the fuck is he?

Seriously. Never heard of him.

lopper 10-29-08 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923 (Post 9036634)
Who the fuck is he?

Seriously. Never heard of him.

I don't believe you, and I think your exagerating.

Let him remake this shit movie so that he'll stay out of movies I actually want to see.

devilshalo 10-29-08 05:21 PM

So when will the powers that be have Vanessa Hudgens remake Flashdance?

My Other Self 10-29-08 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 9037187)
So when will the powers that be have Vanessa Hudgens remake Flashdance?

My thoughts exactly.

riley_dude 10-29-08 06:17 PM

Another horrible Hollywood idea.
Is Kevin Bacon and Sarah Jessica Parker going to do a cameo???
Does Lori Singer even have a career anymore??

Ace Of Spades 10-29-08 09:32 PM

Well, then, "Footloose" will be batting 1000 in my book, as it seems I'll dislike this version, too.

HistoryProf 10-30-08 01:54 AM

:lol:

I took my 9 yo daughter to see High School Musical Three on sunday and when effron and Corbin Bleu were doing their number in the junkyard I was thinking..."this is just like Kevin Bacon in the warehouse in flashdance! They should remake it with this cast!" rotfl

argh923 10-30-08 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 9036655)
I don't believe you, and I think your exagerating.

Let him remake this shit movie so that he'll stay out of movies I actually want to see.

I'm not exaggerating at all. Should I have heard of him? Is his name misspelled? (I've never seen the name spelled that way)

I seriously have never heard of him.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 10-30-08 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923 (Post 9038026)
I'm not exaggerating at all. Should I have heard of him? Is his name misspelled? (I've never seen the name spelled that way)

You should absolutely have heard of him.

lopper 10-30-08 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923 (Post 9038026)

In retrospect, I can't be too surprised you've never heard of him.

Apparently Hannah Montana was quite the big deal before I'd heard her name, so I can definitely appreciate your position.

SPiRAL 10-31-08 01:15 AM

No " I need a hero " dance scene, no sale.