Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zac Efron to star in 'Footloose" remake

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Zac Efron to star in 'Footloose" remake

Old 06-23-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Zac Efron to star in 'Footloose" remake

Originally Posted by SPiRAL View Post
At least the angry, warehouse dance scene is in tact. The license chin-scrape, also the exact prom tux.
Why is that so memorable? Ask me to name 3 things from the original, and the chin scrape will be one of them.
Old 06-23-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
She's only 22. That's about the average age for an actor playing a high school senior, isn't it?
I guess it's just bad because she's known for playing on somewhat of an adult show with Dancing with the Stars.
Old 06-23-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

So they actually have to show us the car crash, can't just use it as back story in the film.

Instead of showing him poetry and stories on a wall she shows him a "house party" at a drive in?

That's who they got to play the Chris Penn role?

It's 2011 so at least the token black guy got a speaking part in this one. He'll probably get to do the break dancing moves at the end instead of having the out of left field nameless white guy do them at the end.
Old 06-23-11, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Footloose remake? Hollywood has gone to the dogs!
Old 06-23-11, 04:35 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm sorry, but the gangly dude "popping" at the end of the first one is my favorite part of the first movie.
Old 06-23-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they would've done an adaptation of the Broadway musical like Kenny Ortega originally had planned, then yes, this remake would've made sense.

To do a near shot-by-shot remake of the original is fucking stupid.
Old 06-24-11, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original was extremely cheesy even if it had its entertaining moments and the premise is even more nonsensical today then in 1984. In a year with tons of useless remakes this one has to be somewhere near the top of the list.
Old 06-24-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I totally forgot this was even being remade. Who the fuck is the lead actor? He's so terrible he makes Julianne Hough's strained delivery passable by comparison. And why is Zac Efron still mentioned in the thread title?
Old 06-24-11, 01:47 PM
Banned

Cuz..nobody has cared enough to change it?
Old 06-24-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
Cuz..nobody has cared enough to change it?
if this gets changed before the django unchained thread i'll be pissed.
Old 06-24-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like they took all the good parts from the original and inserted them around their plot. Even the tux is the same.
No Kenny Loggins?
Old 06-24-11, 11:23 PM

The original Footloose wasn't successful, by the movie itself. The music helped boost its popularity of the film significantly. Without the soundtrack's hit songs from Kenny Loggins theme song: Footloose, and Deniece Williams: Let's Hear It For The Boy, Shalamar's: Dancing in the Sheets, and tracks from other contributing recording artists, that's featured on the soundtrack as well, Footloose would not have been one of the most famous musical dramas in the 1980's beside Fame.
Old 06-25-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 349 Likes on 246 Posts

The original was cheesey, especially in retrospect. I'm pretty sure the remake would suck, but after seeing the trailer I'm surprised the cheese-factor is even higher. I have to believe this will bomb in theatres.
Old 06-25-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
if this gets changed before the django unchained thread i'll be pissed.
What django unchained thread?

Old 06-26-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since Dennis Quaid is in this, I won't even need to worry about this. I don't see Dennis Quaid films. Well, except one - Breaking Away. Speaking of which, I'm sure that'll be remade someday soon, too.

The chin-scrape - haha. That was pretty cool. I think it's a crime, though, to do this film, because nobody can be Willard except Chris Penn. Nobody.
Old 10-06-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Craig Brewer killed it - I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but it was a blast. The leads are charismatic, they pay enough homage the original to keep those fans happy and everytime there is a dance sequence, the movie just comes alive. It isn't perfect, it felt about 10 minutes too long and a few people seem to be on auto-pilot but I thought it was a lot of fun. I know some of you are up in arms about this one, but give it a chance.

The new Willard is great (RIP Chris Penn) and the best parts (outside of the dancing) are when Ren is just hanging around with his group of friends. I wasn't quite sold on Kenny Wormald's Boston accent but he hits all the emotional beats just right. Julianne Hough isn't much more than sex on screen, but she has that part down - a few times I was thinking 'DAMN'.

As a big fan of Hustle & Flow and Black Snake Moan, I was dreading Brewer heading into remake territory, but it seems those worries were unfounded. He made a very good movie here and I'll probably see it again.
Old 10-06-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

^ This is consistent with the critic reviews popping up.
Old 10-07-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 463 Posts

I've heard pretty much nothing but great things about the movie. I actually want to see it.
Old 10-07-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it looks like dog shit tbh. Do we really need another bad teen hip hop inspired dance movie?
Old 10-07-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No.
Old 10-07-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did Ren still include his quote from the Book of Ecclesiastes, regarding "A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance", as was used in the original? Just curious.
Old 10-07-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Apparently the lead is from my town and from the clips I have seen, it looks as though he was hired for his dancing ability rather than his acting or on-screen presence. Same with Hough. The original was not successful because of the dancing since the leads didnt even do most of it. They should have hired actors who can dance rather than dancers who can act since I feel the actual dancing is the least important part of the movie.
Old 10-14-11, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Truth in advertising? Cos the ads make this look like crap.
Old 10-14-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
Julianne Hough isn't much more than sex on screen, but she has that part down - a few times I was thinking 'DAMN'.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/52826/footloose-2011/

"(Brewer's camera seems far more interested in Ms. Hough's posterior than in her character.)"

you had me at hello.
Old 10-17-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was little skeptical about a remake of "Footloose", but director Craig Brewer continues on with a nice little winning streak (previously efforts were "Hustle and Flow" and "Black Snake Moan"), and comes up with another watchable film, this time steeped with a lot of nostalgia of those of us who grew up as teens in the mid 1980s. What Brewster does well is develop good character interactions on-screen, even if the plot is threadbare, as there's not a lot of high-brow material here, it's embracing youthful hormones and the release of pent-up energy due to the town's heavy-handedness with the laws of youthful conduct.

Bomont, GA, has an anti-dancing law due to tragic circumstances 3 years ago, and Ren (Kenny Wormald) arrives from Boston to live with his uncle and family due to his own tragic circumstances. Ren is the new boy in town, talks "funny" in a town of southerners, and has to deal with more civil limitations than he's accustomed to from his former life. Rev. Moore (Dennis Quaid) was the one who worked the laws to put on the clamps of teenage behavior (teens also had curfews, as well as the anti-dance laws), and Rev. Moore's daughter, Ariel (Julianne Hough), is in a rebellious phase, hanging with the bad boy, Chuck, in town, who doesn't quite treat women with respect. Ren makes a new friend in Williard, drafting off that original film's buddy-buddy bromance with Kevin Bacon and Chris Penn. And it works, Williard is a fun character and plays off well with Ren. Of course, Ren and Ariel are sniffing around one another, in antagonistic ways at the start, but that soon melts away, and they connect on more than superficial levels.

In a film like this, you just have to let the dance choreography wash over you, it's fun, and lively, just what you'd expect. There is enough heart in the film to like the cast of characters, and detest the ones who deserve the audience's derision. In the end, the film won me over, though it won't quite totally replace the original film, but it's not a terrible remake, as I feared it would be.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.