DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The 81st Academy Awards — 2009 Oscar pre-nomination discussion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/542535-81st-academy-awards-%97-2009-oscar-pre-nomination-discussion.html)

TheySentYou 01-13-09 07:08 PM

Re: The 81st Academy Awards — 2009 Oscar pre-nomination discussion

i'm also VERY surprised that 'Gomorra' wasn't included... as well as 'Tell No One'.. due simply to hype and acclaim.

fumanstan 01-13-09 07:43 PM

By the way hardercore, I really appreciate those lists of nominations and awards. I think that's a really cool reference point.

Dr Mabuse 01-13-09 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9196145)
By the way hardercore, I really appreciate those lists of nominations and awards. I think that's a really cool reference point.

Me too.

Cool stuff hardercore.

Gerry P. 01-13-09 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by JPRaup (Post 9195671)
Austria, “Revanche” (Gotz Spielmann, director)
Canada, “The Necessities of Life” (Benoit Pilon, director)
France, “The Class” (Laurent Cantet, director)
Germany, “The Baader Meinhof Complex” (Uli Edel, director)
Israel, “Waltz with Bashir” (Ari Folman, director)
Japan, “Departures” (Yojiro Takita, director)
Mexico, “Tear This Heart Out” (Roberto Sneider, director)
Sweden, “Everlasting Moments” (Jan Troell, director)
Turkey, “3 Monkeys” (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, director)

No Gomorrah? Really? It’s one of the highest-rated foreign films of the year, and aside from Let The Right One In, my favorite.

What do you think of the shortlist?

Some of these have actually garnered acclaim on the festival circuit (The Class, Waltz with Bashir, 3 Monkeys), which is something of a rarity for Oscar nominations. Bashir deserves a Best Animated nom.

JPRaup 01-14-09 11:28 AM

Going against my previous post, here are 5 Oscar Nominations that Will Happen, But Shouldn't

5. Clint Eastwood, Best Actor - Gran Torino
4. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Best Supporting Actor - Doubt
3. Gus Van Sant, Best Director - Milk
2. Meryl Streep, Best Actress - Doubt
1. Milk, Best Picture

I posted some pics and write-ups here

What are yours?

islandclaws 01-14-09 11:47 AM

So no Let the Right One In for the foreign category? Weak.

Solid Snake 01-14-09 12:42 PM

hrm....very sad to see no Let the Right One In

hardercore 01-14-09 06:32 PM

The Dark Knight is seeing a lot of guild support and not only should it be a pretty certain nomination by now, it's shaping up to be the "big alternative" for those adverse to Slumdog.

I'm sensing a Rourke takeover as Best Actor frontrunner, Winslet for Lead Actress, and of course Heath. Supporting Actress is still very up in the air at the moment.

Boyle seems pretty locked for director, however.

Drexl 01-14-09 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore (Post 9198838)
The Dark Knight is seeing a lot of guild support and not only should it be a pretty certain nomination by now, it's shaping up to be the "big alternative" for those adverse to Slumdog.

Well then, I think (and hope) Slumdog will pull off the win.

TheMovieman 01-14-09 06:48 PM

I think there's no, or I guess little, doubt Slumdog is a frontrunner to win.

Rypro 525 01-14-09 06:55 PM

I wonder if Slumdog will pull a Babel? IE win the big awards at the Globes and get nearly shut out at the oscars besides maybe 1 or 2 small awards.

eXcentris 01-14-09 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by JPRaup (Post 9197488)
Going against my previous post, here are 5 Oscar Nominations that Will Happen, But Shouldn't

Not a chance. A young talented actor dies and an aging almost forgotten actor makes a big comeback. Hollywood just swallows that stuff up. Ledger and Rourke will win.

Dr Mabuse 01-14-09 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9197554)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9197734)
hrm....very sad to see no Let the Right One In

Yeah that's pathetic.

eXcentris 01-14-09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9197554)

Not eligible. The film nominated must be released before September 30th in the country that's nominating it. This film was released in Sweden in October. Stupid rule but AMPAS are clueless anyway... The fact that "Gomorrah" hasn't made the short list is mindboggling.

Dr Mabuse 01-14-09 07:25 PM

Re: eXcentris lays down the word

Originally Posted by eXcentris (Post 9198898)
Not eligible. The film nominated must be released before September 30th in the country that's nominating it. This film was released in Sweden in October. Stupid rule but AMPAS are clueless anyway...

Good stuff eX.

But that will probably put it in the black hole for next year also.

Damn

PopcornTreeCt 01-14-09 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by JPRaup (Post 9197488)

3. Gus Van Sant, Best Director - Milk
2. Meryl Streep, Best Actress - Doubt
1. Milk, Best Picture

I posted some pics and write-ups here

What are yours?

Haven't seen Doubt. But Milk is deserving of a Best Picture nomination and I would be happy to see it win.

Drexl 01-14-09 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris (Post 9198880)
Not a chance. A young talented actor dies and an aging almost forgotten actor makes a big comeback. Hollywood just swallows that stuff up. Ledger and Rourke will win.

Those are just nominations, and nominations that shouldn't happen in his opinion.

I have a feeling that Milk will get Best Original Screenplay though. They love to give a screenplay award to an up-and-comer, and it will be that film's consolation prize.

gryffinmaster 01-14-09 09:39 PM

Austria, “Revanche” (Gotz Spielmann, director)
Canada, “The Necessities of Life” (Benoit Pilon, director)
France, “The Class” (Laurent Cantet, director)
Germany, “The Baader Meinhof Complex” (Uli Edel, director)
Israel, “Waltz with Bashir” (Ari Folman, director)
Japan, “Departures” (Yojiro Takita, director)
Mexico, “Tear This Heart Out” (Roberto Sneider, director)
Sweden, “Everlasting Moments” (Jan Troell, director)
Turkey, “3 Monkeys” (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, director)
Here's a link to the Variety source he mentioned:

http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1982&cs=1

That might explain Sweden's Everlasting Moments receiving the pre-nod instead of Let The Right One In, quite possibly my favorite film from last year. Hopefully, as already mentioned, this won't backwash its chances at recognition next year, because it deserves every ounce of praise it receives.

Sanjuro37 01-14-09 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9199138)
I have a feeling that Milk will get Best Original Screenplay though. They love to give a screenplay award to an up-and-comer, and it will be that film's consolation prize.

Then they should give it to Jenny Lumet, an up-and-comer who actually wrote the best Screenplay this year.

eXcentris 01-14-09 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9199138)
Those are just nominations, and nominations that shouldn't happen in his opinion.

Oops, sorry. Must have had a brain fart. :)

I think "Milk" deserves a Best Picture nomination though.

Drexl 01-15-09 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37 (Post 9199240)
Then they should give it to Jenny Lumet, an up-and-comer who actually wrote the best Screenplay this year.

Well, I just figured Milk would be more likely because it seems to have more buzz.

Sanjuro37 01-15-09 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9199596)
Well, I just figured Milk would be more likely because it seems to have more buzz.

Oh, no doubt, and I think it'll win too. I'm just saying Lumet's got the newcomer edge and her script is actually better.

hardercore 01-16-09 01:12 PM

BAFTA noms cleared up a lot of the possibilities in the smaller technical categories. TDK has seen support from almost every single guild, indicating widespread support across all specialities. Sometimes votes from costume designers, sound editors and makeup artists are critical in pulling off an upset win.

Picture
1. Slumdog Millionaire (NBR, WAFCA, AWFJ, NYFCO, BFCA, GG, SDFCS, PFCS, DFWFCA, FFCC, DFCA, OFCC, KCFCC, BSFC**, SAG*, PGA*, ASC*, CAS*, DGA*, ADG*, ACE*, CDG*, AFCA**, SEFCA***, AAFC***, COFC***, CFCA*, BAFTA*, OFCS*, VFCC*)
2. The Dark Knight (AFCA, UFCA, AAFC, AFI**, LAFCA***, PGA*, ASC*, CAS*, DGA*, ADG*, ACE*, CDG*, IFMCA*, NBR*, BFCA*, CFCA*, OFCS*)
3. Milk (NYFCC, SEFCA, SFFCC, VFCC, AFI**, SAG*, PGA*, DGA*, ADG*, ACE*, CDG*, DFWFCA***, NBR*, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, LFCC*)
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (SLGFC, HFCA, AFI**, SAG*, PGA*, ASC*, DGA*, ADG*, ACE*, CDG*, IFMCA*, NBR*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
5. Wall-E (LAFCA, CFCA, COFC, AFI**, BSFC**, ADG*, ACE*, IFMCA*, NBR*, BFCA*, LFCC*, OFCS*, VFCC*)

Director
1. Danny Boyle, “Slumdog Millionaire” (LAFCA, CFCA, BFCA, GG, WAFCA, AWFJ, NYFCO, SLGFC, SEFCA, SDFCS, PFCS, HFCA, DFWFCA, FFCC, AAFC, DFCA, OFCC, COFC, DGA*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*, VFCC*)
2. Gus Van Sant, “Milk” (SFFCC, BSFC**, NSFC***, SEFCA***, DGA*, BFCA*, CFCA*, LFCC*, VFCC*)
3. David Fincher, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (NBR, VFCC, DGA*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
4. Christopher Nolan, “The Dark Knight” (AFCA, LAFCA***, UFCA***, DGA*, BFCA*, CFCA*, OFCS*)
5. Mike Leigh, “Happy-Go-Lucky” (NYFCC, NSFC)

Actor
1. Sean Penn, “Milk” (LAFCA, NYFCC, NSFC, BFCA, AWFJ, NYFCO, SLGFC, SEFCA, PFCS, AFCA, HFCA, DFWFCA, VFCC, BSFC**, SAG*, SFFCC**, COFC***, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, ISA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
2. Mickey Rourke, “The Wrestler” (CFCA, GG, WAFCA, WFCC, SDFCS, FFCC, UFCA, TFCA, DFCA, OFCC, KCFCC, COFC, BSFC**, LAFCA***, NSFC***, SAG*, SFFCC**, SEFCA***, BFCA*, BAFTA*, ISA*, LFCC*, OFCS*, VFCC*)
3. Frank Langella, “Frost/Nixon” (LVFCS, AAFC, SAG*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*, VFCC*)
4. Clint Eastwood, “Gran Torino” (NBR, BFCA*, CFCA*)
5. Brad Pitt, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (SAG*, BFCA*, GG*, BAFTA*)

Actress
1. Sally Hawkins, “Happy-Go-Lucky” (LAFCA, NYFCC, BSFC, NSFC, GG, NYFCO, SFFCC, OFCC, AWFJ**, CFCA*, VFCC*)
2. Anne Hathaway, “Rachel Getting Married” (NBR, CFCA, SEFCA, AFCA, HFCA, DFWFCA, BFCA**, SAG*, UFCA***, COFC***, GG*, ISA*, LFCC*)
3. Melissa Leo, “Frozen River” (WFCC, FFCC, UFCA, COFC, LAFCA***, NSFC***, SAG*, BFCA*, CFCA*, ISA*)
4. Kate Winslet, “Revolutionary Road” (GG, SLGFC, DFCA, SAG*, AWFJ**, LVFCS**, VFCC**, BAFTA*, LFCC*)
5. Meryl Streep, “Doubt” (WAFCA, PFCS, KCFCC, BFCA**, SAG*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, VFCC*)

Supporting Actor
1. Heath Ledger, “The Dark Knight” (LAFCA, BSFC, CFCA, BFCA, GG, WAFCA, AWFJ, SLGFC, SEFCA, SFFCC, SDFCS, PFCS, AFCA, HFCA, DFWFCA, LVFCS, FFCC, UFCA, TFCA, AAFC, DFCA, OFCC, KCFCC, COFC, VFCC, NSFC***, SAG*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
2. Josh Brolin, “Milk” (NBR, NYFCC, NYFCO, SAG*, BFCA*, CFCA*, VFCC*)
3. Philip Seymour Hoffman, “Doubt” (SAG*, COFC***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, OFCS*, VFCC*)
4. Robert Downey, Jr., “Tropic Thunder” (SAG*, SEFCA***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, OFCS*)
5. Eddie Marsan, “Happy-Go-Lucky” (NSFC, LAFCA***, COFC***, OFCS*)

Supporting Actress
1. Penelope Cruz, “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” (NBR, NYFCC, BSFC, NYFCO, SEFCA, KCFCC, LAFCA**, SAG*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, ISA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
2. Marisa Tomei, “The Wrestler” (SFFCC, SDFCS, PFCS, LVFCS, FFCC, DFCA, OFCC, COFC, BFCA*, GG*, BAFTA*, OFCS*, VFCC*)
3. Viola Davis, “Doubt” (SLGFC, HFCA, DFWFCA, AAFC, LAFCA***, NSFC***, SAG*, SEFCA***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, OFCS*, VFCC*)
4. Kate Winslet, “The Reader” (CFCA, BFCA, GG, SAG*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
5. Rosemarie Dewitt, “Rachel Getting Married” (WAFCA, UFCA, TFCA, VFCC, ISA*, CFCA*)

Screenplay, Adapted
1. Simon Beaufoy, “Slumdog Millionaire” (CFCA, BFCA, GG, WAFCA, SEFCA, SDFCS, PFCS, HFCA, FFCC, OFCC, KCFCC, COFC, WGA*, NBR**, USC*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
2. Peter Morgan, “Frost/Nixon” (AWFJ, SLGFC, SFFCC, LVFCS, WGA*, COFC***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
3. Eric Roth, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (NBR**, WGA*, SEFCA***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, USC*, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
4. Johnathan Nolan & Christopher Nolan, “The Dark Knight” (AFCA, WGA*, CFCA*, OFCS*)
5. John Patrick Shanley, “Doubt” (WGA*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*)

Screenplay, Original
1. Dustin Lance Black, “Milk” (BSFC, SEFCA, SFFCC, DFWFCA, WGA*, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, OFCS*)
2. Jenny Lumet, “Rachel Gettng Married” (NYFCC, WAFCA, WFCC, UFCA, TFCA, CFCA*)
3. Robert D. Siegel, “The Wrestler” (OFCC, KCFCC, WGA*, SEFCA***, UFCA***, OFCS*)
4. Andrew Stanton, “Wall-E” (CFCA, AWFJ, COFC, OFCS*)
5. Mike Leigh, “Happy-Go-Lucky” (LAFCA, NSFC)

Animated
1. Wall-E (NBR, NYFCC, BSFC, BFCA, WAFCA, NYFCO, CFCA, GG, SLGFC, SEFCA, SDFCS, PFCS, AFCA, HFCA, DFWFCA, LVFCS, FFCC, UFCA, TFCA, OFCC, KCFCC, COFC, AA*, PGA*, BAFTA*, OFCS*)
2. Kung-Fu Panda (AA*, PGA*, SEFCA***, UFCA***, COFC***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, OFCS*)
3. Waltz With Bashir (LAFCA, AA*, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, OFCS*)

Documentary
1. Man On Wire (NBR, LAFCA, NYFCC, BSFC, CFCA, NSFC, BFCA, WAFCA, NYFCO, SLGFC, SEFCA, SDFCS, PFCS, AFCA, HFCA, DFWFCA, LVFCS, FFCC, UFCA, TFCA, OFCC, KCFCC, COFC, PGA*, AWFJ**, ISA*, OFCS*)
2. Trouble The Water (NSFC***, PGA*, AWFJ**)
3. Standard Operating Procedure (PGA*, BFCA*, CFCA*)
4. My Winnipeg (SFFCC, OFCS*)
5. I.O.U.S.A (BFCA*, CFCA*, OFCS*)

Foreign Film
1. Israel, “Waltz With Bashir” (BFCA, GG, UFCA***, BAFTA*, LFCC*, OFCS*)
2. France, “The Class” (LAFCA***, ISA*)
3. Germany, “The Baader Meinhof Complex” (GG*, BAFTA*)
4. Sweden, “Everlasting Moments” (GG*)

Music (Score)
1. A. R. Rahman, “Slumdog Millionaire” (LAFCA, NYFCO, BFCA, GG, SDFCS, COFC***, CFCA*, BAFTA*)
2. Alexandre Desplat, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (PFCS, COFC, LAFCA***, IFMCA*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*)
3. Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard, “The Dark Knight” (AFCA, IFMCA*, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*)
4. Thomas Newman, “Wall-E” (CFCA, IFMCA*, BAFTA*)
5. James Newton Howard, “Defiance” (LVFCS, GG*)

Music (Song)
1. The Wrestler, “The Wrestler” (BFCA, GG, PFCS)
2. Wall-E, “Down to Earth” (HFCA, BFCA*, GG*)
3. Quantum of Solace, “Another Way To Die” (LVFCS, BFCA*)
4. Bolt, “I Thought I Lost You” (BFCA*, GG*)
5. Gran Torino, “Gran Torino” (GG*)
5. Cadillac Recoards, “Once In A Lifetime” (GG*)

Editing
1. Slumdog Millionaire (BSFC, SDFCS, PFCS, ACE*, BAFTA*)
2. Frost/Nixon (LVFCS, ACE*, BAFTA*)
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (AWFJ, ACE*, BAFTA*)
4. The Dark Knight (ACE*, BAFTA*)
4. In Bruges (ACE*, BAFTA*)

Sound Mixing
1. The Dark Knight (CAS*, BAFTA*)
1. Quantum of Solace (CAS*, BAFTA*)
1. Slumdog Millionaire (CAS*, BAFTA*)
1. Wall-E (CAS*, BAFTA*)
5. Iron Man (CAS*)

Sound Editing
1. The Dark Knight (BAFTA*)
1. Quantum of Solace (BAFTA*)
1. Slumdog Millionaire (BAFTA*)
1. Wall-E (BAFTA*)
1. Changeling (BAFTA*)

Visual Effects
1. The Dark Knight (SLGFC, PFCS, BAFTA*)
2. Iron Man (LVFCS, BAFTA*)
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (BAFTA*)

Cinematography
1. Anthony Dod Mantle, “Slumdog Millionaire” (NYFCC, NSFC, NYFCO, SDFCS, ASC*, LAFCA***, COFC***, CFCA*, BAFTA*)
2. Wally Pfister, “The Dark Knight” (CFCA, SFFCC, DFWFCA, FFCC, COFC, ASC*, BAFTA*)
3. Claudio Miranda, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (PFCS, HFCA, LVFCS, ASC*, CFCA*, BAFTA*)
4. Christopher Doyle, “Paranoid Park” (BSFC)
5. Chris Menges & Roger Deakins, “The Reader” (ASC*, BAFTA*)

Art Direction
1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (ADG*, WAFCA, SDFCS, LVFCS, BAFTA*)
2. The Dark Knight (ADG*, PFCS, LAFCA***, BAFTA*)
3. Synecdoche, New York (LAFCA)
4. Changeling (ADG*, BAFTA*)
4. Slumdog Millionaire (ADG*, BAFTA*)

Costume Design
1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (LVFCS, CDG*, BAFTA*)
2. The Duchess (PFCS, CDG*, BAFTA*)
3. Changeling (CDG*, BAFTA*)
3. The Dark Knight (CDG*, BAFTA*)
3. Revolutionary Road (CDG*, BAFTA*)

Makeup
1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (BAFTA*)
1. The Dark Knight (BAFTA*)

---

Thirteen Nominations
The Dark Knight- Picture, Director, S. Actor, Screenplay, Score, Editing, Cinematography, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects, Art Direction, Costume Design, Makeup

Eleven Nominations
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Picture, Director, Actor, Screenplay, Score, Editing, Visual Effects, Cinematography, Art Direction, Costume Design, Makeup

Nine Nominations
Slumdog Millionaire - Picture, Director, Screenplay, Score, Editing, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Cinematography, Art Direction

Seven Nominations
Wall-E - Picture, Screenplay, Animated, Score, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Song

Six Nominations
Milk - Picture, Director, Actor, S. Actor, Screenplay, Makeup

Four Nominations
Doubt - Actress, S. Actor, S. Actress, Screenplay
Happy-Go-Lucky - Director, Actress, S. Actor, Screenplay
The Wrestler - Actor, S. Actress, Screenplay, Song

Three Nominations
Changeling - Sound Editing, Art Direction, Costume Design
Frost/Nixon - Actor, Screenplay, Editing
Rachel Getting Married - Actress, S. Actress, Screenplay

Solid Snake 01-17-09 01:13 PM

still don't understand why Hellboy II isn't in there for Visual Effects. Just boggles my mind...

chris_sc77 01-17-09 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9205006)
still don't understand why Hellboy II isn't in there for Visual Effects. Just boggles my mind...

Maybe it's cause a lot of the visual effexts in that movie were absolutely terrible. The young hellboy, the big plant elemental, the Golden army itself looked like crap. The practical effects were very well done but the visual computer effects were pretty weak compared to the more realistic and seamless effects of films like The Dark Knight and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.