DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Your favorite Steve Martin comedy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/542439-your-favorite-steve-martin-comedy.html)

MaxMFP 10-27-08 04:24 AM

Your favorite Steve Martin comedy

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/ima...l-comedian.jpg

EdTheRipper 10-27-08 06:33 AM

I've always been a huge fan of Roxanne.

Sonic 10-27-08 06:57 AM

I love him in Roxanne, but Three Amigos get's me all the time lol

Groucho 10-27-08 07:09 AM

I voted Planes Trains and Automobiles for the overall movie, but in terms of Steve Martin performances, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of his best.

RayChuang 10-27-08 07:47 AM

I enjoyed his work in L.A. Story.

Rammsteinfan 10-27-08 08:10 AM

3 Amigos is still one of his that I can watch over and over again. Now if we can only get an anamorphic SE of the darn thing.

Palaver 10-27-08 08:14 AM

The Jerk is the definitive Steve Martin movie.

arminius 10-27-08 08:18 AM

Three Amigos all the way.

Charlie Goose 10-27-08 09:00 AM

Roxanne is #1 for me, followed by Parenthood.

Didn't care much for PTA, although I haven't seen it since it's theatrical release.

And it's not really a comedy, but I love Leap of Faith.

Geofferson 10-27-08 09:27 AM

The Jerk
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

BravesMG 10-27-08 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9030846)
I voted Planes Trains and Automobiles for the overall movie, but in terms of Steve Martin performances, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of his best.

Exactly.

Mondo Kane 10-27-08 10:00 AM

All of Me is actually my favorite Martin performance, but out of that poll, I still had to go with PTA for favorite movie.

Doughboy 10-27-08 10:14 AM

L.A. Story is probably his funniest, even though the last 20 minutes are pretty cheesy. The first hour of that film however is absolutely brilliant. I read somewhere that it took him 7 years to write that script, but it was worth the time and effort.

His best overall starring vehicle is Planes, Trains & Automobiles. Despite being a comedy, it has one of the most heartbreaking moments I've ever seen in a movie. The "I've met Del Griffith" rant by Steve Martin followed by John Candy's reaction.

Parenthood is also great, but that's an ensemble piece.

If I had to rank them:

1) L.A. Story
2) Planes, Trains & Automobiles
3) The Jerk
4) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
5) Roxanne

Honorable Mention: Parenthood

islandclaws 10-27-08 10:44 AM

I've probably seen Three Amigos a hundred times since I was a kid. The nostalgia factor alone makes it my favorite.

Close second is Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

McHawkson 10-27-08 11:45 AM

It's hard to pick one... I enjoyed lot of his films.

Two movies that should be mentioned: My Blue Heaven and Twist of Fate. I thought both of them are pretty good - not better than some of list in poll.

Numanoid 10-27-08 11:52 AM

Other.

Toss up between The Man With Two Brains and The Lonely Guy.

Shannon Nutt 10-27-08 12:09 PM

No contest for me. Not only is Planes, Trains and Automobiles my favorite Martin movie - it's my favorite comedy, period.

The Bus 10-27-08 12:43 PM

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is probably my currently favorite movie out of all those, but I really liked L.A. Story, Three Amigos and (gasp!) Mixed Nuts.

Sweet Baby James 10-27-08 01:15 PM

The Man with Two Brains

mdc3000 10-27-08 04:31 PM

The Jerk is my favourite comedy of all time... I do love L.A. Story, Three Amigos and Planes, trains too.... but I think BOWFINGER is easily one of his most underrated movies and one that I watch all the time, so it'd probably be my number 2 pick.

Nicholas Vargo 10-27-08 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9031649)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is probably my currently favorite movie out of all those, but I really liked L.A. Story, Three Amigos and (gasp!) Mixed Nuts.

Don't feel bad, The Bus. I myself like Mixed Nuts as well. Still a very funny film, and a film that Martin himself was proud of (This came from a blurb from the Nora Ephron episode of "The Directors.").

However, my pick went for L.A. Story because it is the only film of his that has consistant laughs and proves at the very end that it has a heart. It's a brilliant film that knows how to make you laugh hard, but also knows how to choke you up at the end too and never forgets that it's a comedy either.

But I have enjoyed most of his comedies, although I do not care for The Jerk that much, as it isn't that funny, and when it is, it is very funny, but it seems to be a product of its own time. The film's funniest sequence is the one where he gets rich and loses it all. That sequence is genius; the rest of the movie is kind of a mixed bag.

But all of his solely written stuff is quite good. It was there that he showed he could be funny and show a heart at the same time. Even something as over-the-top as Bowfinger is geniunely funny, but nowhere near as good as his other stuff.

Falc04 10-27-08 04:58 PM

He was great in PTA. So many funny scenes in the movie...

rw2516 10-27-08 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver (Post 9030928)
The Jerk is the definitive Steve Martin movie.

Agreed. Closest thing to his original stand-up routine when he was at his funniest.

Ronnie Dobbs 10-27-08 05:43 PM

Really The Three Amigos? I thought that movie was terrible when I saw it. Maybe a rewatching.

The Bus 10-27-08 06:04 PM

I remember seeing L.A. Story a lot when it hit cable but never saw it again. Maybe I'll pick up the DVD. I doubt it will hit Blu-ray anytime soon. :lol: