Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office 10/24-10/26: Zac Efron plays Jigsaw's game - and wins.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office 10/24-10/26: Zac Efron plays Jigsaw's game - and wins.

Old 10-25-08, 04:48 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 19,987
Weekend Box Office 10/24-10/26: Zac Efron plays Jigsaw's game - and wins.

Friday's numbers:

1. High School Musical 3: Senior Year (Disney) - $16.5 million
2. Saw V (Lionsgate) - $12.3 million
3. Max Payne (Fox) - $2.6 million
4. Pride and Glory (Warner Bros) - $2.2
5. Beverly Hills Chihuahua (Disney) - $1.9 million
6. The Secret Life of Bees (Fox Searchlight) - $1.83 million
7. W. (Lionsgate) - $1.79 million
8. Eagle Eye (Dreamworks/Paramount) - $1.7 million
9. Body of Lies (Warner Bros) - $1.38 million
10. Quarantine (Sony) - $1.05 million

*********************************************************************

No surprises here. I wish Saw V had done worse since another good opening means we'll be subjected to the increasingly inferior sequels for at least another year, probably more. I used to really dig that series, but after IV sucked so hard, and V is getting even worse reviews, I'm pretty much over it.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 05:05 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
Pretty huge takes for both films. (Especially considering they both look horrible.) I guess there are big audiences for both films though.
I want to see Pride and Glory but I might end up waiting for DVD for that one.
chris_sc77 is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 05:08 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
I'm sure Saw VI is on tap even if V made half as much as it did. Haven't seen it yet, but hope to soon.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 05:17 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,563
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm sure Saw VI is on tap even if V made half as much as it did. Haven't seen it yet, but hope to soon.
There's already a Saw VI in production.

As with Saw V, the winner of VH1's "Scream Queens" will win a part in Saw VI.
Goldberg74 is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 05:39 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,833
I'd be surprised if Saw movies don't continue to Saw VIII.
The Bus is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 05:57 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Wow, W. sure did tank quickly.
Brent L is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 06:07 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 19,987
I'm pretty amazed at the $10m difference between #2 and #3. It makes it all the more obvious how little people care for the crap out right now. Saw V will have another good opening, but I'm sure it'll wind up with less of a haul than IV.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 06:08 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
^What do you mean. It had a $10.5 million weekend bow last weekend. It will probably do about $5 million this weekend. That'd be about a 55% drop. Thats not that bad. It cost less than $30 million to make so I think it'll do okay.
chris_sc77 is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 06:14 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I'd be surprised if Saw movies don't continue to Saw LXXXVIII.
Fixed.
Zen Peckinpah is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 06:36 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,238
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Friday's numbers:
No surprises here. I wish Saw V had done worse since another good opening means we'll be subjected to the increasingly inferior sequels for at least another year, probably more. I used to really dig that series, but after IV sucked so hard, and V is getting even worse reviews, I'm pretty much over it.
What does it matter if they keep making them? Just don't watch them if you don't like them. Makes sense, right?

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I'm pretty amazed at the $10m difference between #2 and #3. It makes it all the more obvious how little people care for the crap out right now. Saw V will have another good opening, but I'm sure it'll wind up with less of a haul than IV.
You think so? Next weekend Saw will get the benefit of having Halloween on a Friday. That should boost ticket sales some. I expect Saw V to do slightly better than Saw IV.
LosingMyMind is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 06:43 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,363
Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
You think so? Next weekend Saw will get the benefit of having Halloween on a Friday. That should boost ticket sales some. I expect Saw V to do slightly better than Saw IV.
Same.

Bit shocked HSM3 did not do better actually.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 07:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 19,987
Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
What does it matter if they keep making them? Just don't watch them if you don't like them. Makes sense, right?


You think so? Next weekend Saw will get the benefit of having Halloween on a Friday. That should boost ticket sales some. I expect Saw V to do slightly better than Saw IV.
I don't care if they keep making Saw films, I just wish they were at least on the enjoyability level of the old 80's slasher flicks like NoES and F13th. I'm happy for the production team that they've got an obvious cash cow on their hands. Good for them.

As for next weekend, I'm not sure how Saw V will do. On the one hand I could see it doing well because of the weekend. On the other hand, horror films notoriously drop hard their 2nd weekend. Up against Zack & Miri it should be interesting.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 07:29 PM
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
Eagle Eye has legs
Ronnie Dobbs is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 07:33 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Ugh. Tons of people throwing down their money for Saw. And 2 of Hollywood's finest actors not pulling in any money.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 10:36 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 3,108
Knowing that HSM3 wins the Weekend race looks like SAW V gets more buzz and talk in this thread.
xage is offline  
Old 10-25-08, 10:55 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Originally Posted by xage View Post
Knowing that HSM3 wins the Weekend race looks like SAW V gets more buzz and talk in this thread.


Are you wondering why? Seems pretty obvious since HSM3 is something that pre-teens are into. I don't think there are that many of them here collecting DVD's.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 01:02 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
I'd rather see endless sequels of High School Musical making cash instead of Saw. There's my 2 cents on HSM.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 02:51 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
What I see is that for some reason, people who probably don't even watch the Saw movies really seem to have a particularly strong vengeance against them. The main reason I'd guess this is is because the Saw series has inspired a legion of knockoffs and copycats, flooding the market with movies of a similar style. While duds like Captivity are indeed boring and irritating, I blame Hollywood and not the Saw films. I think they are the equivalent of 80's slashers.

I am also disappointed that Saw IV gets such a bad rap. I thought it was the most clever and entertaining of all the sequels, with at least a couple of satisfying twists (although a lot of people seemed to be confused by it -- I followed its convoluted plot, but I like the series quite a bit). This new one was alright but not quite as good as IV. For the first time, I felt a sense of going through the motions; previous chapters I felt the filmmakers were invested in pleasing their hardcore fans. My hope is that earlier statements suggesting VI would be the final chapter are true and they give us a worthwhile sendoff.
tylergfoster is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 10:12 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,833
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Ugh. Tons of people throwing down their money for Saw. And 2 of Hollywood's finest actors not pulling in any money.
Yes but the thing is, Pride & Glory looks like absolute shit.
The Bus is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 10:40 AM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
Looks like HSM made around $44 million this weekend and SAW V made around #30 million. Pretty huge weekend. Usually this weekend only has the Saw film (in previous years that is) but this weekend gave us SAW and another HUGE opening for a film.
Also I saw that SAW 5 only cost $10 million to make. Add in Advertising costs and all that and it STILL looks like SAW 5 recouped all of its money this weekend alone. Lions Gate has gotta love this. It sure is their golden egg.
chris_sc77 is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 11:05 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
I had the last show of Saw V interlocked to play in two theatres and the print got a brain wrap and took the interlock down. The film went everywhere, it was nuts. I had to give out nearly 700 passes and nearly $1,500 in additional refunds, and a lot of the crowd from Saw V were some of the nastiest, loudest, most vulgar bunch of filthy idiots I've ever had the displeasure of having to please. Then after all the paperwork and other closing duties that I had to postpone, I had to spend three hours unraveling the print and putting it back together, removing all the burns and melts, not getting out of there until nearly 7 AM.

The Saw films... even the ones I don't watch, I end up hating.
DonnachaOne is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 11:23 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,937
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
I had the last show of Saw V interlocked to play in two theatres and the print got a brain wrap and took the interlock down. The film went everywhere, it was nuts. I had to give out nearly 700 passes and nearly $1,500 in additional refunds, and a lot of the crowd from Saw V were some of the nastiest, loudest, most vulgar bunch of filthy idiots I've ever had the displeasure of having to please. Then after all the paperwork and other closing duties that I had to postpone, I had to spend three hours unraveling the print and putting it back together, removing all the burns and melts, not getting out of there until nearly 7 AM.

The Saw films... even the ones I don't watch, I end up hating.
That sucks my friend. The Friday afternoon Saw crowd I was with was horrific, I can't imagine the late night Saturday herd screaming at you.
BravesMG is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 01:40 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
I had the last show of Saw V interlocked to play in two theatres and the print got a brain wrap and took the interlock down. The film went everywhere, it was nuts. I had to give out nearly 700 passes and nearly $1,500 in additional refunds, and a lot of the crowd from Saw V were some of the nastiest, loudest, most vulgar bunch of filthy idiots I've ever had the displeasure of having to please. Then after all the paperwork and other closing duties that I had to postpone, I had to spend three hours unraveling the print and putting it back together, removing all the burns and melts, not getting out of there until nearly 7 AM.

The Saw films... even the ones I don't watch, I end up hating.
I've been giving out passes at my theater for hot auditoriums and I really don't think the movie has anything to do with it. I actually saw a woman push a kid in a wheelchair in an effort to leave High School Musical faster. That really sounds like a joke, but I'm sad to say it isn't.
tylergfoster is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 01:44 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
What I see is that for some reason, people who probably don't even watch the Saw movies really seem to have a particularly strong vengeance against them. ]
Yeah, I don't really get it either.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 10-26-08, 05:31 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,563
1 N High School Musical 3: Senior Year BV $42,000,000 - 3,623 - $11,593 $42,000,000 $11 1
2 N Saw V LGF $30,500,000 - 3,060 - $9,967 $30,500,000 $10.8 1
3 1 Max Payne Fox $7,600,000 -56.9% 3,381 +5 $2,248 $29,664,000 $35 2
4 2 Beverly Hills Chihuahua BV $6,916,000 -39.5% 3,190 -49 $2,168 $78,142,000 - 4
5 N Pride & Glory WB (NL) $6,325,000 - 2,585 - $2,447 $6,325,000 $30 1
6 3 The Secret Life of Bees FoxS $5,935,000 -43.6% 1,630 +39 $3,641 $19,208,000 $11 2
7 4 W. LGF $5,330,000 -49.3% 2,050 +20 $2,600 $18,749,000 $25.1 2
8 5 Eagle Eye P/DW $5,136,000 -26.9% 2,558 -768 $2,008 $87,987,000 $80 5
9 6 Body of Lies WB $4,065,000 -40.4% 2,150 -564 $1,891 $30,890,000 $70 3
10 7 Quarantine SGem $2,550,000 -58.1% 2,228 -235 $1,145 $28,770,000 $12 3
Goldberg74 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.