Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do about idiots texting at the movies.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What to do about idiots texting at the movies.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
You have not.
Um yes I have. I have been told that I am sort of an imposing figure and had about 50lbs on each of them so I was not really worried about my safety.

The first time the person was so shocked that they just moved to another area of the theater.

2nd time and I will give them some credit here, they stayed in their seats but were smart enough to get the license plate of the car I was in. I eventually had to replace one of the phones. Something in the penal code about recklessly damaging or destroying personal property is what they got me for.

Lesson you can't expect to change bad behaviour with bad behaviour...

Last edited by d2cheer; 10-30-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 03:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Go to the earliest showing. Not only is it cheaper but it seems the idiots are not awake yet.
Old 01-13-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What to do about idiots texting at the movies.

Shoot them apparently

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4590721.html
Old 01-13-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and eventhough it's wrong to shoot someone over texting, the victim will be seen as more of a victim since he was a "family man texting his 3 year old daughter". if it was the other way around, people wouldnt feel that bad had it been "the family man that shot an old man who had been texting".

Either way, this is why one shouldnt talk/text during a show. If it's important (like talking to your 3 year old), you get up to speak outside the theater. If it's not important, you ignore calls/texts until end of show. Simple as that.
Old 01-14-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand this. I'm not saying I condone it but I understand it.
Old 01-14-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

....You understand shooting someone because they texted during a movie? Is this real life. If someone is texting and its such a distraction from the giant fucking screen in front of you, then go tell a manager. If the manager does nothing demand a refund. I've found 9 out 10 times a manager that doesn't want to sack up and tell the person to stop using cellphones will be just as likely to issue a refund.

It has been what, 10 years since this has been an issue if not longer. At this point you should know what movies will attract who and what you will have to deal with during the movie. Unless someone is fucking screaming at the screen, nothing should distract you from a giant screen with loud as fuck speakers blaring the audio. Looking back in this thread in 08 I posted about the people screaming at others for cell phone use more distracting than the actual users. That is still the case I've seen lately.

Oh also, Florida. Always fucking Florida.

Last edited by beavis69; 01-14-14 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I understand this. I'm not saying I condone it but I understand it.
it was during trailers though
Old 01-14-14, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
it was during trailers though
My kids hate going to the movies with me because I have no problem telling people around me to stop texting (or surfing) or talking on the phone. The first time I ask I am semi-polite, after that...
Old 01-14-14, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My kids hate going to the movies with me because I have no problem telling people around me to stop texting (or surfing) or talking on the phone. The first time I ask I am semi-polite, after that...
Me as well. Excuse me. Could you please put that away, it's very distracting? Thank you.
Old 01-14-14, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Me as well. Excuse me. Could you please put that away, it's very distracting? Thank you.
What I do with my genitalia is my own business, sir! Good day!
Old 01-14-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

it really isnt worth losing your life over. People are so screwed up that you are better off just moving away from them or just ignore them as hard as that may be.
Old 01-14-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Do like I do...wait until the movie has been out a couple of weeks. All the obnoxious people seem to see the movie on it's first release weekend.

Sunday mornings at 11am after the movie has been out for two weeks = paradise. Tuesday night at 7:30pm after two weeks = empty theater! (though I do have some weird luck where people will still sit one row right behind me or right in front of me in an empty theater. I just get up and move when they do that - texting or not.)
Old 01-14-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Buy a Cell Phone Jammer?
Old 01-14-14, 08:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Who the hell let's their 3 year old text?
Old 01-14-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Do like I do...wait until the movie has been out a couple of weeks. All the obnoxious people seem to see the movie on it's first release weekend.

Sunday mornings at 11am after the movie has been out for two weeks = paradise. Tuesday night at 7:30pm after two weeks = empty theater! (though I do have some weird luck where people will still sit one row right behind me or right in front of me in an empty theater. I just get up and move when they do that - texting or not.)
That's accurate.

Also, obnoxious people gravitate towards certain movies. Don't expect to go see Paranormal Activity or a throw-away horror flick - without having some annoyances in there.
Old 01-14-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I went to go and see LOTR ROTK opening weekend, in the pre-texting days, someone thought it'd be hilarious to point a laser pointer at the screen every few minutes. Someone in the theater REALLY lost his temper and screamed at him so loudly to stop that half the multiplex probably heard him. He did. When I went to see Hero, the couple next to me were literally making out on the floor until someone got an usher and kicked them out. I wonder about people sometimes. I fiddle with my phone while I'm waiting for the movie and maybe during trailers, but that's it. I've been an offender once or twice, but I do try to make a conscious effort not to. Thank you, Hollywood, for creating a brand of cinema where everyone is bored when there aren't any action scenes.
Old 01-14-14, 09:21 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I usually go to 10am showings on Saturday, sometimes Sunday. Never had any real issues. The only time I'll go at night is if its a movie my lady wants to see.
Old 01-14-14, 09:23 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the articles on this story had this:

"They bought tickets for Lone Survivor, a war movie, noted for its graphic scenes and bloodshed."

Seems like a pointless thing to note, especially since the incident happened during the trailers.
Old 01-14-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy wasn't even texting during the movie! I can understand the frustration with texters, but Before the movie? Seriously?
Old 01-14-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

...what?

you go all I-don't-care-about-the-law-I'm-an-annoyed-Cop-and-will-berate-and-beat-you-cuz-I-can on em?

(I kiiiid officer, I kiiiiid)

sort of
Old 01-14-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Sunday mornings at 11am after the movie has been out for two weeks
Great time to go...all the psychos are in church.
Old 01-14-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
The guy wasn't even texting during the movie! I can understand the frustration with texters, but Before the movie? Seriously?
It was during the previews, dammit - those are often better than the film. Especially when the film is LONE SURVIVOR.
Old 01-14-14, 02:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And while this thread is open, I've found that lately the worst offenders for having their phone light up throughout a movie are not teens, but football fans. I tend to catch a lot of Sunday matinees, and during football season without fail I see some guy checking the scores throughout the movie.
Old 01-14-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also this is why i go to late thurs or friday at midnight shows. yes the crowds may be a bit rowdy, but at least they want to see the movie, and rarely if ever whip out their phone to text
Old 01-14-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

No one deserves to get shot over texting but what kind of moron sends text messages to a three year old?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.