Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gran Torino (2008, Eastwood)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gran Torino (2008, Eastwood)

Old 03-19-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AICN has inside word that this IS a Dirty Harry movie!

Not sure if this is true (it is Ain't it Cool and Harry Knowles), but if it is, it sounds like Dirty Harry is getting his own Rocky Balboa or Rambo. Surprised they wouldn't call this "Harry Callahan".
Old 03-20-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well geez, if that's the case, why not delay the boxed set until it can be included?
Old 03-20-08, 07:41 AM
Suspended

Speed zoo!
Old 03-20-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah

Not sure if this is true (it is Ain't it Cool and Harry Knowles), but if it is, it sounds like Dirty Harry is getting his own Rocky Balboa or Rambo. Surprised they wouldn't call this "Harry Callahan".
Yeah, "Harry Callahan," would be a GREAT title for a new Dirty Harry movie. Seriously. Who knows, maybe Gran Torino is just a working title to throw people off...

I'd love to see a new Dirty Harry movie to Rocky Balboa the whole series. Like the Rocky series, Dirty Harry ended with the weakest of the bunch, and a better send off would be nice.

Of course, Eastwood IS getting a bit old for the part, and he'd need some help in the form of a younger, active duty bad ass cop.

At this point I don't know what to make of this - but I sure hope it's the final Dirty Harry movie. Well, as long as the script is really good this time.

Last edited by B5Erik; 03-20-08 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Details here

4. Something that I haven't mentioned already.
Yep, that'll be it.
Old 03-20-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New Dirty Harry flick? No qualms here. I'm almost positive they'd pair him up with some young, hot new dick but if it's done as right as Rambo and Rocky Balboa then I'm game.
Old 03-20-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Of course, Eastwood IS getting a bit old for the part, and he'd need some help in the form of a younger, active duty bad ass cop.
That would be bad news for the cop. His partners either die or get messed up good.
Old 03-20-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The talkback on that has me
Old 03-20-08, 01:23 PM

The biggest mystery is why it's being rushed for a December release. Eastwood already has one film being released for Oscar consideration in November, and his last non-Oscar film (Blood Work) was a box office disappointment.

The "scoop" on AICN doesn't lend much credibility to a final Dirty Harry movie, but the circumstances surrounding its release do make you wonder...
Old 03-20-08, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by poirot
The biggest mystery is why it's being rushed for a December release. Eastwood already has one film being released for Oscar consideration in November, and his last non-Oscar film (Blood Work) was a box office disappointment.

The "scoop" on AICN doesn't lend much credibility to a final Dirty Harry movie, but the circumstances surrounding its release do make you wonder...
What makes you think it's being rushed? Million Dollar Baby was shot over the summer & in theaters that December. Where are we now? Oh yeah, March!
Old 03-20-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for giving me a boner aint it cool news!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-08, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sid Yobbo
What makes you think it's being rushed? Million Dollar Baby was shot over the summer & in theaters that December. Where are we now? Oh yeah, March!
I'm referring more to Warner's release schedule than the actual production. Eastwood is one of the most efficient directors around, and can easily finish the movie in a short amount of time.

But it's strange to see it being released just a few weeks after The Changeling. It's this aspect of the project that seems to have raised the most eyebrows and led to so much speculation.
Old 03-20-08, 04:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's the last one they should probably call it Dirtiest Harry.

Unless AICN is wrong and this is actually the return of Bronco Billy.
Old 03-20-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
If all the rumors are true, then I think this will be one violent or at least, seriously pissed off film. I mean, the villain supposedly murders not only cops, but Harry's grandson.
Old 03-20-08, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by poirot
I'm referring more to Warner's release schedule than the actual production. Eastwood is one of the most efficient directors around, and can easily finish the movie in a short amount of time.

But it's strange to see it being released just a few weeks after The Changeling. It's this aspect of the project that seems to have raised the most eyebrows and led to so much speculation.
I really don't see why - unless you're assuming both films are being released by Warner. Changeling of course is Universal, Gran Torino WB.
Old 03-21-08, 12:37 AM

I really don't see why - unless you're assuming both films are being released by Warner. Changeling of course is Universal, Gran Torino WB.
It just strikes me as a little odd, not sure why. I guess because The Changeling is considered to be an Oscar hopeful, and studios/actors often worry that a second film (by the same star) may affect such chances. The most recent example would probably be Dreamgirls being closely followed by Norbit.

I also find it strange that Warner appears content to let this rumor spread. Dirty Harry rumors have been popping up for well over a decade, but I don't recall one ever making this big of a splash. It's usually just a brief comment that is quickly denied.

Yet this one has not only persisted, it now has at least one other movie site claiming it's legitimate: http://www.movieweb.com/news/81/27481.php
Old 03-21-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
For what it's worth, IMDB says The Changeling is in post-production. I could see it being finished in the next few months and then touring festivals for the rest of the year before being theatrically released in December.

Looking at a few of the other films Clint both directed and starred in, it's not absurd to think he could finish Gran Tornio well before December, especially if this has been in the works for a long time and is ready to shoot.

The Dirty Harry rumors also seem to be strongly supported by the upcoming Ultimate Edition DVD set and the fact that Warner unexpectedly pulled the plug on the Eastwood backed video game.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 03-21-08 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-21-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, and that article says this is filming.. Talk about under the radar.
Old 03-21-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Fingers crossed that he is womping on hippies...one can only hope!
Old 03-21-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nooooo!

Please don't shatter my dreams of a new Dirty Harry!
Old 03-21-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hamburger Hill 2
Old 03-21-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Speed zoo!
We go fast!
Old 03-21-08, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
For what it's worth, IMDB says The Changeling is in post-production. I could see it being finished in the next few months and then touring festivals for the rest of the year before being theatrically released in December.
Changeling is already set for release in November.
Looking at a few of the other films Clint both directed and starred in, it's not absurd to think he could finish Gran Tornio well before December, especially if this has been in the works for a long time and is ready to shoot.
As stated, Million Dollar Baby was shot in late June, July & in theatres that same December! So, yes, not a problem & indeed Warner have already announced Gran Torino for release in December, one month after Changeling opens.
The Dirty Harry rumors also seem to be strongly supported by the upcoming Ultimate Edition DVD set and the fact that Warner unexpectedly pulled the plug on the Eastwood backed video game.
Sadly I think you'll find there is no new Dirty Harry movie. What 'The O' says above sounds much more likely & here's further support from a post at Jeff Wells' website:

Sorry for the delay...didn't check back after I posted...Film Jerk is spot on in it's logline. The character Walt seems tailor made for Clint. Short, gruff lines (many to his old dog Daisy). There's even a young priest Walt gets to curse out throughout. A simple straight forward story told in quiet, yet compelling writing. The entire movie rests on Clint's back and the relationship he builds with his young Asian neighbor Tao.
Old 03-21-08, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The game ran into development problems, and basically switched developers. I have no idea what its current status is, though. I only know that much via an article I read sometime last year.

The Filmjerk writer mentioned it would be something along those lines earlier this week, but didn't bother to elaborate. I'm still not sure why Warner didn't just release those plot details. It's definitely a more plausible plot, but why are we having to dig it out of the comments section of a movie site?

Sadly I think you'll find there is no new Dirty Harry movie.
Unfortunately, I think "sadly" may be a very apt description here. The idea of another Dirty Harry has certainly taken on a life of its own, and will continue to be reported throughout the weekend. By Sunday, even villagers in Peru will probably be happily reporting this surprising comeback film to their loved ones.

So if and when Warner ever decides to announce a movie about Clint, a Torino, and a teenaged kid...that's going to be one anticlimactic film announcement.

Last edited by poirot; 03-21-08 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-22-08, 10:47 PM

I think I can maybe put this rumor to rest...

My local paper (Minneapolis Star-Tribune) just did a story about the film industry in the state and I caught this in the article...

"Lucinda Winter, executive director of the Minnesota Film and TV Board, was gratified recently when Warner Bros. called with the news that Clint Eastwood will scout the state for a $20 million film about an auto worker."

It would seem reasonable that they're talking about "Gran Torino."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.