DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Observe and Report (Hill, 2009): Seth Rogen, Anna Faris, Ray Liotta (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/542082-observe-report-hill-2009-seth-rogen-anna-faris-ray-liotta.html)

Zen Peckinpah 10-21-08 09:58 AM

Observe and Report (Hill, 2009): Seth Rogen, Anna Faris, Ray Liotta

Script Review (spoilers)

Looks like Rogen is playing a different character here under the direction of Foot Fist Way writer/director Jody Hill, a "hard charging", deluded security guard at a mall at odds with the cops (led by Ray Liotta!) because he wants to go the distance as a lawman.

I LOVED TFFW, a hopefully sure-fire cult favorite which the masses should be required to see, so if this is the next step this could be not only a hit for him, but a new broadening for Rogen as well.

No stills or trailers as of yet, is set for release April 10th. Seth Rogen has a crew cut for the role and is clean shaven. From the sound of it, sounds like Super Troopers by way of Scorsese or Schrader.

The Bus 10-21-08 10:07 AM

So we've got two mall cop movies in 2009?

Matthew Chmiel 10-21-08 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9018630)
So we've got two mall cop movies in 2009?

Yes.

One that is directed by the award-winner who brought us Next Friday, Dr. Dolittle 2, Daddy Day Care, Rebound and Are We There Yet? with a cast mostly lifted from a direct-to-video release.

The other directed by someone who only has one (good) film under their belt (that nobody saw) and a cast that is at least talented.

RyoHazuki 10-21-08 05:31 PM

Foot Fist Way is oddly enjoyable even though its not really that funny throughout a lot of the movie. Rogen sucks but at least it sounds like he's not playing Rogen.

Zen Peckinpah 12-25-08 11:27 PM

Pics (spoilerized for size):

Test screening word has been divided between too bizarre to be funny and flat-out hilarious dark comedy. I'm leaning towards the latter, as some comparisons have evoked Bad Santa and a comedic take on Taxi Driver. Also, take notice for what has potential to be one of the most brilliant homages in recent memory:

Spoiler:
The film apparently has a scene where Rogen fights off a battalion of policemen with his flashlight which pays tribute to the one-take hammer brawl in Oldboy.

I want to see this movie NOW.

Matthew Chmiel 12-26-08 12:42 AM

Too bizarre to be funny and yet dark? Sounds a lot like Hill's last film The Foot Fist Way.

If that's the case, I'm all fucking in.

ruddiger_718 12-26-08 10:10 AM

Jeez, don't these guys have one original bone in their body!?1?!?!11?

This is coming out in a few weeks.

It's going to be funnier than this, CRAP.

PAUL BLART!!!!!!!1!1!!

Spoiler:
;)

chris_sc77 01-07-09 03:45 PM

Re: Observe and Report (Hill, 2009): Seth Rogen, Anna Faris, Ray Liotta

Sounds like my kinda movie:
Rated R For pervasive language, graphic nudity, drug use, sexual content and violence.

Dr Mabuse 01-07-09 04:05 PM

Is it 2 hours long though?

Remember that.

riotinmyskull 01-07-09 09:27 PM

please say anna faris will be wearing that low cut shirt the entire film.

Gunde 01-08-09 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9182525)
please say anna faris will be wearing that low cut shirt the entire film.

Please say she won't ;)

Supermallet 01-08-09 11:51 AM

Please say she gets cut out of the movie. :)

nickdawgy 01-08-09 12:03 PM

Please say she's naked.

CharlieK 02-06-09 07:55 PM

New red band trailer.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_DQ_5K59S2k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_DQ_5K59S2k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

This looks darker than I expected. The music in the trailer gives off kind of a twisted and ominous vibe to me. Looks interesting though. Good to see a clean cut Seth. He can look like a slob and also seems to pull of a pretty good meathead.

Matthew Chmiel 02-07-09 12:21 AM

I'm all in.

Zen Peckinpah 02-07-09 12:29 AM

That looks fucking fantastic, a possible minor masterpiece in the making. GREAT trailer, this looks to be a different side of both Seth Rogen and the comedy genre.

Even if the movie doesn't end up being as good, the trailer is one of the best I'll see this year.

Solid Snake 02-07-09 12:43 AM

I'm fucking in..

BullGooseLoony 02-07-09 07:54 AM

It looks like the movie can't decide if it wants to be subtle or outlandish.

Listening to Rogen's narration intercut with him kissing a recently vomited Anna Faris really makes it look like two different movies.

Could be interesting, but if the movie's like the trailer, then the movie won't do well financially.

mdc3000 02-07-09 08:17 AM

I really liked Foot Fist Way and that trailer is really interesting, so this is an easy MUST SEE for me. Can't wait.

riotinmyskull 02-07-09 08:25 AM

well damn. the comedic TAXI DRIVER and BAD SANTA comparisons seem to be dead on. fucking awesome.

Tarantino 02-07-09 12:54 PM

Eh...looks okay.

Is that Army from The Shield as Rogan's partner?

= J

Matthew Chmiel 02-07-09 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 9251393)
Is that Army from The Shield as Rogan's partner?

Yup, Michael Peņa.

Also nice to see Danny McBride will make an appearance.

islandclaws 02-07-09 01:23 PM

Looks awesome. I'm an unapologetic Rogen fanboy. I love watching the man on film, so this is a no-brainer for me. If the film plays out anything like the trailer, this'll be one of my top comedies of the year much like last year's Pineapple Express.

LickTheABCs 02-07-09 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah (Post 9155846)
Also, take notice for what has potential to be one of the most brilliant homages in recent memory:

Spoiler:
The film apparently has a scene where Rogen fights off a battalion of policemen with his flashlight which pays tribute to the one-take hammer brawl in Oldboy.

Although after TFFW I refused to see anything else by anyone who helped in anyway to create that, I might have to see this for that and that alone.

Zen Peckinpah 02-07-09 03:19 PM

What's the song in the second half of the trailer (right after the "I've got a brown dick!" line)?