Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst aspect/part of KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: which was worst
The prairie dogs
2.12%
Quicksand sequence
2.12%
The nuked fridge
15.34%
The aliens
22.75%
Surviving the 3 waterfalls
1.06%
Marion Ravenwood
1.06%
Tarzan Shia
44.44%
John Williams' forgettable score
0.53%
CGI ants
2.65%
Other
7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-08, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hated so much about this movie, including the fridge scene. The only slightly redeeming aspect of the fridge scene was when Indy got yelled at by a General named Ross afterwards.
Old 10-16-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) The fridge scene - A moment so bad and so stupid that it spawned a new phrase.

2) Surviving the 3 waterfalls - Just one waterfall drop would've killed them. But 3?! And Marion actually sped up and drove off of a cliff?

3) Tarzan Shia - Honestly Shia during that entire sequence. The pathetic swordfight coupled with the vine swinging just ruined that part of the movie.

4) The aliens - It was dumb, but I'd heard rumors that aliens would show up in the movie, so I was prepared for it.

5) CGI - I thought Spielberg promised to make this movie old school. Where were the real stunts and exotic locales and matte paintings?

I don't think I'd consider John Williams' score a negative. It was forgettable, but not bad. I did dig the "Crystal Skull" theme, although it was a little too remiscent of Jerry Goldsmith's "Sha Ka Ree" theme from Star Trek V.
Old 10-16-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 203 Likes on 168 Posts
Tarzan Shia - easily.
Old 10-16-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parrotheads4
How about this one: You have a magnet in a box that is soooo powerful that you can throw shotgun pellets in the air from a great distance, and those pellets get pulled to the magnet. BUT when you carry the super magnet the rifles slung over your back are not at all attracted to the magnet.
I vote OTHER, and it ties into your comment. For me, it was missing that "Indy" moment. For example, in Raiders when he is confronted by the sword-weilding thugee, he simply shoots. It is an unexpected solution to a potentially massive problem.'

In KOTCS, early on Indy is facing a dozen soldiers about to go firing squad on him. Now, since the magnetic skull was in the jeep directly behind him - the Indy moment is right there. Have the soldiers fire, only for the bullets to stop midway and fly back into them. Indy walks away without a scratch.

So, the now it is magnetic / now it is not really bugged me the most.
Old 10-16-08, 02:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
1) The fridge scene - A moment so bad and so stupid that it spawned a new phrase.

2) Surviving the 3 waterfalls - Just one waterfall drop would've killed them. But 3?! And Marion actually sped up and drove off of a cliff?

3) Tarzan Shia - Honestly Shia during that entire sequence. The pathetic swordfight coupled with the vine swinging just ruined that part of the movie.

4) The aliens - It was dumb, but I'd heard rumors that aliens would show up in the movie, so I was prepared for it.

5) CGI - I thought Spielberg promised to make this movie old school. Where were the real stunts and exotic locales and matte paintings?

I don't think I'd consider John Williams' score a negative. It was forgettable, but not bad. I did dig the "Crystal Skull" theme, although it was a little too remiscent of Jerry Goldsmith's "Sha Ka Ree" theme from Star Trek V.
he also promised to have Paramount make 70mm blowup prints - that never frickin' happened...
Old 10-16-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the worst aspect of this movie was the horrible South Park episode it inspired
Old 10-16-08, 05:47 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,009 Likes on 844 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMFP
that George Lucas raped my adulthood!
Old 10-16-08, 07:10 PM

I picked other but only because I overlooked Tarzan Shia. That get's my vote instead.

I was going to say the jungle chase scene. I've seen stuff like it too many times, it was boring and I was thinking of how much better the speeder chase in Jedi was the whole time, and you can't even claim bad rip-off because it's one of Lucas' movies! Can the man not think of anything new?

For some reason the fridge was so beyond ridiculous it didn't really bother me. I just laughed.

Last edited by celmendo; 10-17-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie was so bad on some many levels. It's a wonder how it made so much money at the box office and will now do it on DVD.
Old 10-16-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
This movie was so bad on some many levels. It's a wonder how it made so much money at the box office and will now do it on DVD.

Yeah, well I guess the average "Joe the Plumber" loves this movie. I stopped in Safeway today to pick up a few items, and THREE "Indiana Jones 4" displays (that were throughout the store) were completely empty. Just two days after the movie was released on DVD. And oh, I live in Arlington Virginia. For what it's worth.
Old 10-16-08, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
They weren't "aliens." They were "inter-dimensional beings." There's a difference.
I think that was the biggest problem I had with the movie. If they absolutely had to go in this direction, why couldn't they have just been plain old aliens? I still wouldn't have liked it, but I think I could have at least grudgingly accepted plain old Martians in an Indiana Jones movie. But making them "inter-dimensional beings" goes way over the line, from adventure fantasy straight into sci-fi. They might as well have had Indy step through a wormhole and meet Han Solo.
Old 10-16-08, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redskull
I think that was the biggest problem I had with the movie. If they absolutely had to go in this direction, why couldn't they have just been plain old aliens? I still wouldn't have liked it, but I think I could have at least grudgingly accepted plain old Martians in an Indiana Jones movie. But making them "inter-dimensional beings" goes way over the line, from adventure fantasy straight into sci-fi. They might as well have had Indy step through a wormhole and meet Han Solo.
If that happened the movie would've imploded from sheer awesomeness
Old 10-17-08, 12:41 AM

I'm going with aliens, you know not space aliens that's to close to the original idea Indiana Jones and the Space Men or whatever the heck it was called but interdimensial aliens! Ugh. Hated it especially since I read several Indiana Jones articles about "history" of trying to make a 4th movie and Speilberg and Fords' resistance to Lucas' Space Men.

Ugh.
Old 10-17-08, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
What he said

16. Over the top comedy. Nothing in this film was any worse than portraying Denholm Elliot's character as a bumbling doofus in Crusade. His scene in the beginning of Raiders was one of the best of the movie, sucking us into the awe and mystery we were about to get into.
Not just Elliot, Indy as well... This one was terrible, but Crusade was the worst....
Old 10-17-08, 03:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hasslein
Not just Elliot, Indy as well...
Examples?
Old 10-17-08, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I enjoyed the whole movie except for Tarzan Shia. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
I agree with this. If not for that, I would have very little to complain about. Sure it was a bit odd with aliens, but hey, why not.
Old 10-17-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MaxMFP
Examples?
All the stuff between Ford & Connery...Ughhhh...
Old 10-17-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
The dogs were bad. Shias character full stop was bad. The three waterfalls was just 2 too many. The alien thing and the spaceship i can deal with. I understand and appreciate the concept of a 50's Sci-fi B-movie they were going for. The nuke and fridge i can deal with. Hell he is Indiana Jones...he could survive anything. At the end of it all the one biggie missing from the list is Ray Winstones character. He was just plain annoying. "Jonesy!!!" was every other line he delivered. What happened to the good side kicks and bad guys. I hope they do a 5th....but they need to go back to an historical maguffin, ditch the kid and the wife and amp up the excitement.
Old 10-17-08, 07:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I voted for other--people just being too damn hard on this movie.
i don't think we're being hard enough Spielberg could have done better.

Oh and explain to me how at the egining there was NO BLOOD when those soldiers got massacred.
Old 10-18-08, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
i don't think we're being hard enough Spielberg could have done better.

Oh and explain to me how at the egining there was NO BLOOD when those soldiers got massacred.
I saw this movie for the first time on Blu-ray, and the lack of blood during the opening massacre struck me, too.

As for the rest of the movie, I thought the worst parts were the awkward dialogue scenes. There were labored attempts for character interactions to be funny and witty, but it all felt too forced. In particular, Jones's exchange with his student at the end of the library chase scene was a joke which expires upon set-up, and the scene where Marion and Indy are arguing immediately after being reunited had bad acting by all parties. Even though my expectations were low, I was disappointed greatly.
Old 10-18-08, 04:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Crystal Skulls just aren't that interesting of a legend. The Atlantis idea was a better one.
I do think Atlantis was probably the best place they could have gone with a fourth (well, maybe they'll do it for the fifth). They still could have had aliens in there (a city as advanced as Atlantis would have been built by aliens and so on), but it would have been a myth everyone knew. Then again, if we thought the CGI was bad in this one, imagine if they had to make it take place underwater with fish men.
Old 10-18-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
Overall, the movie felt rushed. Like all those involved were finally able to get together, but, the story just wasn't ready and they had to go with what they had or make no movie at all. No time to fix what's wrong. Like a last minute decision to make the movie.
This.

While I enjoyed it as simple entertainment, the whole thing just felt "off" somehow; as if it were all put together too quickly and without proper thought given to making key plot points and action sequences fit together.

I had no issues with the Mutt character either.

Not the best Indy adventure of the four, but it's still Indy. I expected ridiculous action set pieces, and I got 'em.
Old 10-30-08, 03:33 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was watching this again because the Rifftrax MST3k treatment just came out.

So much was wrong with this film.

1. As Mutt tells him about the legend of the skulls, Indy smirks "old tales and legends, kid" WTF Indy? How many 'myths and legends' have you seen be true--Holy Grail, Ark, Magic Stones, Aliens (prelude to this movie)?

2. The STUPID skulls are the worst prop Ive seen in a long time. It looks like cheap plastic stuffed with tinfoil!

3. The quicksand scene looked like a botched rehearsal run, its so tired and fake.

4. The skull didnt fit its own logic. It only 'worked' when the plot needed it to, it was not consistent and therefore distracting.

There were so many rehashed/cliche fillers:
--they 'let' Marian escape so she could mail mutt the letter, just like Crusade, where they 'let' Jones senior mail his book to Junior

--the 'super bad guy' has a lust for knowledge and that thirst kills them in the end, every damn Indy movie.

It seemed like nobody tried, or just rushed the whole thing, or the creators didnt have too much riding on this movie so they were halfhearted with it and pissed it away knowing they would make money no matter what they shat out.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 10-30-08 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 439 Posts
You know, this movie was pretty bad. That's not to say it didn't have its moments (the entire crypt sequence when they discover the skull is entirely pretty cool), but there was so much that went wrong that the movie was, overall, a disappointment (although not one of Phantom Menace proportions).

First off -- Ray Winstone's character. He's a new character, immediately introduced as Jones's partner/sidekick, and then betrays him in the first five minutes? Bad storytelling. We have no connection to this character in the first place, so his betrayal has absolutely no resonance whatsoever. Indy might as well have been betrayed by "Lando" from the Clerks cartoon. Wasted, unimportant character.

Second -- Marion. I freakin' LOVED her in the original, easily the greatest "Indy Girl" ever. She was smart, resourceful, tough, hard-drinkin, bitter, vulnerable, and utterly desirable. She held her own, even when she was a hostage (almost escaping through her own devices). In this movie, she demonstrates few proactive traits. OK she drives a jeep in the jungle sequence, but SOMEONE had to. Also, her screaming "TRUST ME!!" as she speeds the jeep off the cliff... how did she know there was a giant branch there to break their fall into the river?

Mutt Williams -- I didn't mind the character so much, or even the fact that he was Indy's long lost progeny, or even that it was Shia LeBeouf (I don't have issues with the guy, unlike many). I think using the greaser archetype was sort of the type of easy, lazy writing that plagued much of this script. Shipping his bike over to Peru? Are you serious? *sighs*

Holy crap an AMAZING piece of ass just walked past my office window.

Anyway, the film felt fake and small and limited and too beholden to its own legacy (see Godfather 3 for a film that was ALSO about as self-conscious of its status as a "sequel to a legend" as cinematically possible). The veneer of artificiality robs the movie of its sense of fun and urgency. When people are flipping around the jungle on vines and dueling in jeeps and flying through the air in a fridge escaping an atomic blast and surviving three massive waterfalls in a row, etc. etc., then there's no threat, no conflict, no urgency, no nothing.

Rewatch Raiders of the Lost Ark and see how REAL it feels. The punches, the sets, the gunfights, the sweat, everything. The chase scene seemed to go on for miles and miles on end, even if (in all actuality) maybe they passed the same rock 37 times or something. The jungle scene LOOKED small, felt small, played small.

Blerg.

I didn't mind the aliens so much, really. They fit in with the entire Indiana Jones milieu. However, they blew it by showing the alien in the first 10 minutes. Talk about spoiling your own movie.
Old 10-30-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For me it was the fridge scene. Since it happened early, it set the bar pretty low for the rest of the movie. I was able to stomach the later ridiculousness much better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.