Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst aspect/part of KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: which was worst
The prairie dogs
2.12%
Quicksand sequence
2.12%
The nuked fridge
15.34%
The aliens
22.75%
Surviving the 3 waterfalls
1.06%
Marion Ravenwood
1.06%
Tarzan Shia
44.44%
John Williams' forgettable score
0.53%
CGI ants
2.65%
Other
7.94%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Worst aspect/part of KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL?

Old 10-15-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were so many things wrong this movie that it's too difficult to pick just one.
Old 10-15-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this movie wasn't titled with Indiana Jones, I think I would've mistaken it for Allan Quartermain.

Bought the bluray yesterday and was watching it again with my wife who kind of detests the film. I bought it just because it was Indiana Jones. When she asked me if I still would've bought the movie if the character wasn't Indy, I couldn't answer positively.

Last edited by Cardiac161; 10-15-08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I enjoyed the whole movie except for Tarzan Shia. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
That is right up there for me too. I mean come on.
Old 10-15-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 247 Likes on 179 Posts
I pick the ants. I thought Speilberg was trying to do a remake of Them!
Old 10-16-08, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
hey there, you're lookin' pretty good Indiana Jones!
Now squeal! Oouuieeeee!!!
Old 10-16-08, 01:36 AM

Another vote for the godawful CGI
Old 10-16-08, 01:45 AM

Wait, so over 50 percent of the voters are going with the score?
I call shenanigans.
Old 10-16-08, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by ardathbey
I call shenanigans.
Only 1 person voted for the score.
Old 10-16-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ardathbey
I call shenanigans.
Those are Tarzan Shia votes. I still can't believe this thing got 5 stars from dvdtalk. 5 stars? Really?
Old 10-16-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
No Willie Scott
Old 10-16-08, 08:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
other: the script
Old 10-16-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Fuck this movie.
Old 10-16-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,115 Posts
The nuked fridge. It was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever been asked to believe in a movie. Just beyond stupid, and apparently all so the audience would "get" that the movie takes place in the 50s. Couldn't have thought of a less stupid way to make that obvious, huh Spielberg?
Old 10-16-08, 10:01 AM

Received 866 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
the ALIENS. Which made no logical sense and were pretty embarrassing.
They weren't "aliens." They were "inter-dimensional beings." There's a difference.
Old 10-16-08, 10:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for Tarzan Shia. It's not even the idea behind it; it's the execution. As I said in the other KoS thread, this scene could have worked in they'd used real stuntwork, left out the monkeys, and had Shia playing the scene awkward and scared. Instead he looked too confident and the CGI looked awful, which combined for terrible effect.

I'd put the nuked fridge second, mainly because that whole scene with the test site town was unnecessary and seemed to be in there just to say "Hey guys, it's the 50s!"

The only other thing that really bugged me were the ants (accidental pun there), and that's only because they were bad CGI.

I hate bad CGI in general, but for some reason it *really* takes me out of period films (see also The Mummy films), way moreso than it would in a modern day or future-set film.
Old 10-16-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
There's really no way to narrow down the problems I had with this movie, but one thing no one mentioned was that the Indiana Jones "formula" is just starting to get old after the fourth time.

I mean, who really didn't think the villain would once again be destroyed by her own ambitions of obtaining the treasure? If that scene was supposed to be shocking, the most it got from me (after seeing it happen in three previous movies) was a yawn.

Even more, they adhered to a tired formula at the price of logic. Exactly how is that a reward to the person who returns the crystal skull? How can the treasure be considered "knowledge"? I'm thinking being disintegrated is a pretty steep price to pay for knowledge!!! There needed to be one more scene where Cate Blanchett became this all-powerful being and Indy had to use his wits to beat her. (And, incidentally, Indy using his wits would have been a refreshing addition since his character became rather inconsequential in the third act.)

Last edited by rennervision; 10-16-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 266 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
There were so many things wrong this movie that it's too difficult to pick just one.
What he said

1. Felt like a very expensive reunion movie for an old TV show. Had all the standard cliches of these reunion turds, the references to castmembers who have died, long lost offspring, old girlfriend, "in" references to old show/films for fans. Should have dumped all that. Sure twenty years have gone by in the fictional world of Indiana Jones but the the fact it's been 20 years since the last movie should have been ignored.
2. The chase scene with the trucks and jeeps felt like a tired rehash of the same scene from Raiders and Crusade.
3. Why did they use a 1970s Paramount logo at the beginning?
4. Ants were bad CGI but a good idea.
5. As for impossible stunts. Reality went out the window with life raft scene in Temple of Doom.
6. Over the top comedy. Nothing in this film was any worse than portraying Denholm Elliot's character as a bumbling doofus in Crusade. His scene in the beginning of Raiders was one of the best of the movie, sucking us into the awe and mystery we were about to get into.
7. The aliens. Not a big problem for me. No worse than the plot of Temple. Both Raiders and Crusade were made better by a search for an artifact that actually may exist and have captured the imagination of people for centuries.

I liked the Mutt character. In some ways he was the best part of the movie. Something different and fresh. The whole Brando/Wild One thing was entertaining. The Harley, biker jacket, switchblade, and always combing his hair made an interesting character. I thought so anyway.

Overall, the movie felt rushed. Like all those involved were finally able to get together, but, the story just wasn't ready and they had to go with what they had or make no movie at all. No time to fix what's wrong. Like a last minute decision to make the movie.
Old 10-16-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts
The whole film, but do we really need a poll for this?
Old 10-16-08, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Crystal Skulls just aren't that interesting of a legend. The Atlantis idea was a better one.
Old 10-16-08, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
NOT inviting Sallah OR Short Round to the wedding.
x2 - that would've been a nice nod to fans.
Old 10-16-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
What he said

1. Felt like a very expensive reunion movie for an old TV show. Had all the standard cliches of these reunion turds, the references to castmembers who have died, long lost offspring, old girlfriend, "in" references to old show/films for fans. Should have dumped all that. Sure twenty years have gone by in the fictional world of Indiana Jones but the the fact it's been 20 years since the last movie should have been ignored.
2. The chase scene with the trucks and jeeps felt like a tired rehash of the same scene from Raiders and Crusade.
3. Why did they use a 1970s Paramount logo at the beginning?
4. Ants were bad CGI but a good idea.
5. As for impossible stunts. Reality went out the window with life raft scene in Temple of Doom.
6. Over the top comedy. Nothing in this film was any worse than portraying Denholm Elliot's character as a bumbling doofus in Crusade. His scene in the beginning of Raiders was one of the best of the movie, sucking us into the awe and mystery we were about to get into.
7. The aliens. Not a big problem for me. No worse than the plot of Temple. Both Raiders and Crusade were made better by a search for an artifact that actually may exist and have captured the imagination of people for centuries.

I liked the Mutt character. In some ways he was the best part of the movie. Something different and fresh. The whole Brando/Wild One thing was entertaining. The Harley, biker jacket, switchblade, and always combing his hair made an interesting character. I thought so anyway.

Overall, the movie felt rushed. Like all those involved were finally able to get together, but, the story just wasn't ready and they had to go with what they had or make no movie at all. No time to fix what's wrong. Like a last minute decision to make the movie.
I'll take #3 That was the 80's logo as well when the original came out.
Old 10-16-08, 12:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Couldn't have thought of a less stupid way to make that obvious, huh Spielberg?

And the nuked family just HAD to be watching HOWDY DOODY, the quintessential 1950's show of all time.

Yes, yes, yes. It's the 1950's. We get it.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 10-16-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 12:36 PM

Tarzan Shia by a monkey's tail.
Old 10-16-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
The nuked fridge. It was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever been asked to believe in a movie. Just beyond stupid, and apparently all so the audience would "get" that the movie takes place in the 50s. Couldn't have thought of a less stupid way to make that obvious, huh Spielberg?
my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-16-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 345 Likes on 257 Posts
As much as I disliked the nuke thing, it was the aliens - because the whole plot revolved around them. Of course, George Lucas would tell us they're NOT aliens!

From the DVD doc:

George: They're not aliens now...they're "interdimensional beings".

Steven: Oh, that sounds interesting...what do they look like?

George: Well, they LOOK like aliens.

WHAP! [Sound of Steven smacking his palm against his forehead]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.