Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst movie you ever saw in the theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst movie you ever saw in the theater?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Worst movie you ever saw in the theater?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It is sexism. A lot of my male friends hated Death Proof, because according to them, "it was all about dumb bitches talking about bullshit."

They're morons.
So it's sexist. Men are sexist. So are women. Men can get a kick out of seeing and hearing men sitting around bullshitting and joking. They don't enjoy women doing the same thing. Why should they? How many men here watched "Sex and the City"? Why would anyone expect them to? I'm not asking women to watch or enjoy THE DIRTY DOZEN or the Three Stooges.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-15-15 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-15-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

So how does Kill Bill fit into this narrative of sexism being the reason people don't like Death Proof?
Old 08-15-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love these old threads to see all the names that have disappeared.

Fortunately I haven't seen many in the theater that have been that bad. There have been several that I enjoyed but then when they were released on disc, I watched them again and said "what was I thinking? This is terrible."
Old 08-15-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

2 votes for The Super? 1 for White Men Can't Jump? Jeez, I must have really horrible taste in comedies.

My pick is Mortal Kombat Annihilation. I knew it sucked as a 12 year old MK fanatic, and after rewatching it again 18 years later, it still sucks.
Old 08-15-15, 10:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

White Chicks
or
Old 08-15-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Runners-up:

Godzilla (1998)
The Haunting (1999)
Armageddon
Deal of the Century

All-time worst:

Halloween (2007)
Old 08-15-15, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Since I became a member here after the thread had ended before today's seven-year bump, I can only say: the Star Wars prequels. Either one of the first two counts (PHANTOM MUCOUS, ATTACK OF THE CLOWNS). I stayed clear of REVENGE OF THE SHIT.
You're trying too hard, man.

Originally Posted by hasslein
It's amazing, in the last few months, sexism has been thrown around as a reason for an opinion, and nothing could be further from the truth. EG when claiming Fury Road was Charlize's film, that was sexist. Now this... I have no problem with female protagonists, but the women in Death Proof had absolutely nothing of interest to say. Going on & on & on... Tarantino even says it is his worst film... But, because of your response, I will open my Grindhouse BD that has been sitting on my shelf for years and give it a second shot. (The completest bought it, never expecting to revisit)
EG? Dunno what/who that is. While incorrect to state that FR is Furiosa/Theron's film, it isn't, how is it sexist to claim that it was her film? Unless you're a guy w/ gender issues... I can't see how stating it it be her film is sexist... unless you're talking about the reaction to the response...

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It is sexism. A lot of my male friends hated Death Proof, because according to them, "it was all about dumb bitches talking about bullshit."

They're morons.
That's what I hear a lot as well. It's just a bunch of women talking. As if they hadn't seen QT films w/ a bunch of men talking bullshit either. As to whether it was really that important what gender it was that was talking aside from some stereotypically gender related aspects.

So it's sexist. Men are sexist. So are women. Men can get a kick out of seeing and hearing men sitting around bullshitting and joking. They don't enjoy women doing the same thing. Why should they? How many men here watched "Sex and the City"? Why would anyone expect them to? I'm not asking women to watch or enjoy THE DIRTY DOZEN or the Three Stooges.
Hearing what the women in Death Proof say is (what I'd guess to be) different than Sex and the City, stereotypically. If I'm to believe how people talked about that property. There's a difference though in distinguishing what one prefers over what something is in the whole of the film. If your gut reaction to Death Proof, for what is essentially the same damn thing that happens in Reservoir Dogs and other QT films, is to dismiss it just because it's a group of women doing their thing ... than maybe you've got issues. I don't give a damn wtf anyone is talking about, just make it important to the film and hopefully it's a good film.

Again... QT films are filled w/ groups of characters talking BS, most of them men, yet somehow... Death Proof, as a general, gets called out cuz it's a bunch of women talking. Really? Yeah, that's kind of an issue. I LOVE Death Proof. I like both cuts but the shorter one is better while the longer one is more entertaining to me cuz it has that goddamn dance that you can't help enjoy Kurt Russell for being so awesome in just being him.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
So how does Kill Bill fit into this narrative of sexism being the reason people don't like Death Proof?
A story about a wronged woman going on a pretty healthy streak of revenge is a bit different than a group of men/women talking within a film. Honestly...if the bride wasn't a woman and some minor changes... it runs like any general revenge flick in a skeleton form that doesn't matter if it was a man or woman going on the revenge. Added details aside.. it's a bit more than that but still...

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-15-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-15-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And who the fuck is Eddie?
He died.
Old 08-15-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

EG? Dunno what/who that is. While incorrect to state that FR is Furiosa/Theron's film, it isn't, how is it sexist to claim that it was her film? Unless you're a guy w/ gender issues... I can't see how stating it it be her film is sexist... unless you're talking about the reaction to the response...

exempli gratia. E.g. means 'for example'. Look in the Fury Road thread. When the debate was going on about whether or not Charlize was the protagonist, someone stated "DVD talkers" had a problem with that because they are sexist. No one had a problem, they were just stating a fact. Re Deathproof, Bad dialogue is bad dialogue no matter the gender spewing it. It was full of horrendous dialogue... (I'm not a fan of the Mr. Clean bit in Pulp Fiction either)

Last edited by hasslein; 08-15-15 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-15-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Because Death Proof isn't a bad flick even with women sitting around talking about female things.
Old 08-15-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,466 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I've seen a number of bad movies in the theater. I remember Invasion: USA, Cobra, Demolition Man, Death Wish 3, Sleepwalkers, stuff like that. But my friends and I pretty much knew what we were going to see, and they were a lot of fun.

As far as bad to the point where you almost walked out, I guess all that comes to mind is "Spaceballs." I remember my buddy and I thinking it was painfully unfunny all the way through--an opinion I still have about that movie.
Good choice. I thought it was painfully unfunny all the way through. A 1987 parody of Star Wars: A New Hope was also horribly outdated when it was released. It would be as if Mel Brooks made a parody of Revenge of the Sith today. Pop culture had moved on.
Old 08-15-15, 01:45 PM
Banned

Yeah. I chuckle at some bits like Pizza the Hutt and whatever but it's a wildly outdated film. Like you can tell it was way past the time to do it.
Old 08-15-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, the best parodies come from people who have a genuine affection for and knowledge of the subject they're parodying. Like Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Spinal Tap and all of Christopher Guest's mockumentaries. I felt like Brooks and the people behind Spaceballs did not have a genuine affection for those movies.
Old 08-15-15, 02:44 PM
Banned

To true. It feels like those movies that those guys that do parodies a lot. Their last one is a Fast and Furious one. I can't remember their names.
Old 08-15-15, 02:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm in the Space Balls was always crappy camp too. In fact, I'm pretty sure Young Frankenstein is the only Mel Brooks film I've enjoyed.
Old 08-15-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Anyone that complains about Death Proof being "a bunch of people talking" has never seen a 70s car chase movie. Those movies had about 15-20 minutes at most of car action (it was all they could afford) with around an hour of padding. Hell, that's grindhouse cinema in general. I feel that that's what Tarantino was going for; the end-to-end action in Planet Terror was fun, but no real grindhouse flicks ever delivered on that promise of "action action action!" that way. Now, it may seem insulting to say that Tarantino was trying to make his movie excessively talky like true 70s films, but there's few things in cinema I enjoy more than just watching QT characters talk. It has a rhythm like a kung-fu movie fight scene. Perhaps I need to take this over to the Hateful Eight thread instead...
Old 08-15-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
That's what I hear a lot as well. It's just a bunch of women talking. As if they hadn't seen QT films w/ a bunch of men talking bullshit either. As to whether it was really that important what gender it was that was talking aside from some stereotypically gender related aspects.

Hearing what the women in Death Proof say is (what I'd guess to be) different than Sex and the City, stereotypically. If I'm to believe how people talked about that property. There's a difference though in distinguishing what one prefers over what something is in the whole of the film. If your gut reaction to Death Proof, for what is essentially the same damn thing that happens in Reservoir Dogs and other QT films, is to dismiss it just because it's a group of women doing their thing ... than maybe you've got issues. I don't give a damn wtf anyone is talking about, just make it important to the film and hopefully it's a good film.
Then you do give a damn what people are talking about because if it's dull and boring, it's not important to the film. I don't remember what the girls in DEATH PROOF were talking about because it didn't interest me and it took me out of the film. They weren't interesting characters either, so I didn't care what happened to them. Nor did I buy Kurt Russell's character, for that matter. Had we men been given a reason to identify with him and then got alarmed when he went too far, that might have worked. But he was always just a creepy, distant character, at least as I recall, and I'm not going to watch it again just to re-confirm that.

On the other hand, I love Kristen Wiig films like BRIDESMAIDS and WELCOME TO ME, even though they have lots of female dialogue scenes, because I find the characters interesting and the dialogue important to the plot. Sticking to QT films, the long dialogue scenes, as in INGLOURIOUS and DJANGO, serve to propel the plot, so it's not just people sitting around bullshitting. And in RESERVOIR DOGS, that whole opening lunch table scene was interesting and hilarious and served to distinguish the various characters and establish their relationships. That didn't happen in DEATH PROOF.
Old 08-15-15, 04:05 PM
Banned

Then you do give a damn what people are talking about because if it's dull and boring, it's not important to the film. I don't remember what the girls in DEATH PROOF were talking about because it didn't interest me and it took me out of the film. They weren't interesting characters either, so I didn't care what happened to them. Nor did I buy Kurt Russell's character, for that matter. Had we men been given a reason to identify with him and then got alarmed when he went too far, that might have worked. But he was always just a creepy, distant character, at least as I recall, and I'm not going to watch it again just to re-confirm that.

On the other hand, I love Kristen Wiig films like BRIDESMAIDS and WELCOME TO ME, even though they have lots of female dialogue scenes, because I find the characters interesting and the dialogue important to the plot. Sticking to QT films, the long dialogue scenes, as in INGLOURIOUS and DJANGO, serve to propel the plot, so it's not just people sitting around bullshitting. And in RESERVOIR DOGS, that whole opening lunch table scene was interesting and hilarious and served to distinguish the various characters and establish their relationships. That didn't happen in DEATH PROOF.
No. It's quality has no bearing to how important to the film it is.

I'm not sure we're supposed to identify w/ Mike too much. Aside from knowing that he's a man from the past that a good number of us lot have known the type. I don't think the film was working it for you to identify w/ the guy too much.

Maybe you just like Kristen Wiig? Cuz those two films look very different to me but still have her pushing her method a bit. I've only seen your former but not the latter, aside from the trailer.

And the conversations between the two groups, didn't develop character? It told a shit ton about them. Especially distinguishing the difference between the two lots and how each one worked in their world.

Whatever their quality is being put aside, the dialogue has a much purpose as in any other QT films.
Old 08-16-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I will agree with two already mentioned. Godzilla(1998) and Mortal Kombat Anihilation, I was in high school when both of these movies came out, I was smart enough to know they were terrible then, and still suck today. But I will add The Box (2009) it had Cameron Diaz in it, I thankfully saw it for free, I nearly walked out.
Old 08-16-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I used to go to see 2 movies every weekend when I was a young teen to late teen, so I'm sure I saw a stinker or 2, but as an adult the only movie I remember walking out of knowing I'd wasted my money totally was "The Village".
Old 08-16-15, 09:04 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't pay to see a movie in a theater unless I know (or suspect) that I'm really going to like it. So far my gut has been good to me.

My wife went with relatives to see The Crying Game when it first came out and hated every minute of it.
Old 08-16-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By far the worst of all:

The people in the theater were so shocked by what was on screen that everyone stopped watching the movie and turned around and looked at each other in confusion. I've never had an experience like that before.
Old 08-18-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Drowning Mona

Dear lord.
Old 08-18-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Worst movie I remember going to does not seem to exist. I would have sworn it was called "Gates of Hell" or something like that and I distinctly remember Adam West being in it though it is not listed at all on IMDB. It was a horrible horror movie with a scene of a girl being disembowled at one point maybe in a cemetary. Really don't think I imagined it, but it was god awful.
Old 08-18-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Worst movie I remember going to does not seem to exist. I would have sworn it was called "Gates of Hell" or something like that and I distinctly remember Adam West being in it though it is not listed at all on IMDB. It was a horrible horror movie with a scene of a girl being disembowled at one point maybe in a cemetary. Really don't think I imagined it, but it was god awful.
Are you imagining a girl vomiting her own intestines? Because that would be City of the Living Dead by Lucio Fulci, released in the US as Gates of Hell. And the lead, Christopher George does kinda resemble Adam West.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.