DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Raging Bull sequence (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/541518-raging-bull-sequence.html)

Solid Snake 10-13-08 11:35 AM

Raging Bull sequence

The film starts off with La Motta in the ring amping (punching, moving around etc) himself up with his robe, all in slow motion. After that it cuts to La Motta as an older and fatter man in a dressing up preparing himself for his little stand up routine, in real time.

How exactly does this 4 min. sequence set up the themes of Nostalgia, Strength, Character, and Isolation. Those four specifically. I'm doing a 5 page paper on that sequence..and I know the film very well but....I'm like in a self imposed writer's block cuz I think it's too much for just that sequence to write on. I can see those themes, yes. But how do I elaborate on that? For 5 pages....

The Bus 10-13-08 11:36 AM

We generally don't do people's homework here.

Solid Snake 10-13-08 11:53 AM

*sigh* thanks for that.

For me the slow motion sequence, imo, is what La Motta likes to look at himself as he was boxer. Perfection. This was his Art, his poetry, his life. We know that by the end his life is in a pretty far place from what he was in his boxing career. I can see the nostalgia on that. It's him alone in the ring, he understands the ring he wants to be in. Nobody else can be in it. He alone understands the fights, no matter what others tell him. Even though it's known that the whole film is B&W, that colorless nature can too be a look in the past of what La Motta was. It was a long time ago in that ring, enough time to dwell on his own image and see himself in that ring. The music only enhances the sense of nostalgia with an peaceful orchestral score. Later with him as the older man, he can't forget his work in the ring..he's kinda riding off of that for his gig.

He's a man who knows only himself relatively well. He, thru his forceful nature, is alone. He doesn't want it that way, I'm sure. He can't connect with others though, he's too much about the lonely man in the ring. The image of La Motta in the ring with that robe also gives out a sense of egocentric nature of the boxer. Only do boxers wear outlandish robes like that to make a statement of what they are. They're different. They're not some small time guy, no this robe makes him stand out as a bigger persona. Add in the way he walks in the ring, a brutish like being in the steps.His personal skill is not really questioned in that scene till you see what the man is later. Fat and Older. Nothing like the prancing character he was in that ring. I guess I can elaborate on that with more detail and god, help me because I hate writing papers. I prefer presentations...

Goat3001 10-13-08 11:57 AM

I'm not going to do your homework for you but that seems pretty straighforward. Just off the top of my head I can think of enough things to fill about 4 pages. Add a little bit of BS here and there you and have 5 pages without blinking. I'm not going to tell you what to write but just try to link the beginning scene that you described with one of the themes then go deeper by giving other examples from the movie that explore the theme and link that example back to the beginning scene. For example: The beginning is nostalgic because... another example of nostalgia is when... that moment ties back to the beginning because... Do that for each theme, throw in a few quotes from the movie and bam 5 pages.

Solid Snake 10-13-08 12:01 PM

Now that I look at it..it's more of me not knowing how to write the paper confidently, I'm just a huge doubting Thomas about my own work. It is easy. I know the film. I see the themes, I guess I can start writing this...I just needed myself to write something to prove to myself that I can do it. Elaborate on the character throughout the film, examples..etc. Seems like I'm on the right track, as much as I like to doubt myself.

Shannon Nutt 10-13-08 01:56 PM

Goat 3001 pretty much layed it out for you. Oh, and don't forget to use the word "juxtaposition". Professors love stuff like that. :)

iamiam 10-13-08 02:05 PM

I like mise-en-scène.

islandclaws 10-13-08 02:55 PM

I love lamp.

story 10-13-08 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by the bus (Post 9001122)
we generally don't do people's homework here.

+1

MaxMFP 10-13-08 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by solid snake pac (Post 9001152)

for me the slow motion sequence, imo, is what la motta likes to look at himself as he was boxer. Perfection. This was his art, his poetry, his life. We know that by the end his life is in a pretty far place from what he was in his boxing career. I can see the nostalgia on that. It's him alone in the ring, he understands the ring he wants to be in. Nobody else can be in it. He alone understands the fights, no matter what others tell him. Even though it's known that the whole film is b&w, that colorless nature can too be a look in the past of what la motta was. It was a long time ago in that ring, enough time to dwell on his own image and see himself in that ring. The music only enhances the sense of nostalgia with an peaceful orchestral score. Later with him as the older man, he can't forget his work in the ring..he's kinda riding off of that for his gig.

He's a man who knows only himself relatively well. He, thru his forceful nature, is alone. He doesn't want it that way, i'm sure. He can't connect with others though, he's too much about the lonely man in the ring. The image of la motta in the ring with that robe also gives out a sense of egocentric nature of the boxer. Only do boxers wear outlandish robes like that to make a statement of what they are. They're different. They're not some small time guy, no this robe makes him stand out as a bigger persona. Add in the way he walks in the ring, a brutish like being in the steps.his personal skill is not really questioned in that scene till you see what the man is later. Fat and older. Nothing like the prancing character he was in that ring.

b-

DeanoBKN 10-13-08 08:46 PM

Thanks for reminding me why I hated college English. I have no problem expressing my views, but never got used to the _ page minimum bullshit.

Solid Snake 10-13-08 11:08 PM

That's my inner issue. I can talk to you about Raging Bull all day but..to write it just kills the passion for it, you know?

Troy Stiffler 10-14-08 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9002637)
That's my inner issue. I can talk to you about Raging Bull all day but..to write it just kills the passion for it, you know?

Absolutely. If you're in film school (or majoring in film), drop out and get a job changing cans or something. No sarcasm intended.