Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Old 01-05-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

^i'm going to have to agree with that comparison. this is the type of film argento SHOULD be making nowadays.
Old 01-06-09, 02:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Argento never made a movie like this. The cat sequence is reminiscent of a few moments in his work, but that's it. I still need to see Mother of Tears, come to think of it.
Old 01-06-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Argento never made a great movie like this.
Fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I love Argento; but I love Argento films for the style over substance.
Old 01-06-09, 04:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Argento never made a movie like this. The cat sequence is reminiscent of a few moments in his work, but that's it.
That's specifically what I was referring to. To me, those odd 'out of left field' scenes are the best thing in Argento's films, which I generally find to be incoherent and lacking in the story department (a problem I didn't have with LTROI).
Old 01-06-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I must be taking crazy pills because I thought this was pretty fucking boring. Half of it worked for me. Oskar and Eli's relationship and their time together is great, plus I love the bullying aspect... but the shit with Jocke and the woman who turns was dull ...not to mention lots of long shots of nothing happening...like at all. I don't need action all the time or anything but the first hour really took it's sweet time to get going... maybe I'll give it a second chance and be wowed by it, but frankly, I thought Twilight was more enjoyable... hell, right now I'd probably rather sit through The Little Vampire... I'm interested to see what Matt Reeves does with the remake, hopefully they cut the bullshit and flesh out the kid's relationship...

I enjoy a good art film every now and then, but this didn't feel so much like 'visual poetry' as it did 'visual wankery'...
Old 01-06-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Wow, I must be taking crazy pills because I thought this was pretty fucking boring. Half of it worked for me. Oskar and Eli's relationship and their time together is great, plus I love the bullying aspect... but the shit with Jocke and the woman who turns was dull ...not to mention lots of long shots of nothing happening...like at all. I don't need action all the time or anything but the first hour really took it's sweet time to get going... maybe I'll give it a second chance and be wowed by it, but frankly, I thought Twilight was more enjoyable... hell, right now I'd probably rather sit through The Little Vampire... I'm interested to see what Matt Reeves does with the remake, hopefully they cut the bullshit and flesh out the kid's relationship...

I enjoy a good art film every now and then, but this didn't feel so much like 'visual poetry' as it did 'visual wankery'...
When I was watching it I felt like it's the kind of movie without the kind of mass appeal a movie like Interview with the Vampire or Twilight would have. It's a horror movie that prefers a more methodical pace, I guess. I enjoyed it though. I like slow burn horror movies.
Old 01-07-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can sort of see why a lot of people are liking it, as it is fairly different... just for me there was too much time spent on things that didn't go anywhere/add to the film... again, just my opinion.
Old 01-14-09, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way late to the party but what the hell.

I just finished this film.

I don't even understand why I liked this movie so much.

Amazing movie, I'm just blown away.

I felt so much empathy for Oskar, to the point of being angry at his weakness and fear. He WAS the part.

Same thing with Eli, there was no acting, she was a little vampire.

Spoiler:
I loved those weak, cowardly bullies 'getting theirs'.

Fantastic film with such a great ending.
Old 01-14-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Won 5 awards at the Golden Bug (Sweden's Oscars)

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...d=VR1117998428

Best Director
Script
Cinematography
Set Design
Sound
Old 01-20-09, 12:55 PM

I enjoyed the movie a lot but...

Spoiler:
I didn't get the whole vagina scar thing. First off when they flash a little child's private parts I'm not looking closely at it; I'm looking away!

Saying, "I'm not a girl." Doesn't cut it and isn't enough of an "Ah ha!" moment to make it worth it. If there had been some back story it would have been a thousand times better. That alone is a reason to remake the film. Foreigners just don't get it sometimes, you're shit has to make sense.
Old 03-11-09, 04:32 PM

I FINALLY saw this last night and loved every second of it.

It was one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in the last year. Beautifully shot and masterfully acted by both young performers.

Regarding Eli's "androgynous" character...
Spoiler:
I had to check the wiki pages for the book and movie in order to verify the nature of the somehwhat "horizontal genitalia" I thought i saw on Eli. I assumed she was a boy the whole time and felt that the quick flash was just enough to really make the viewer understand that there was a complicated backstory but that it wasn't necessary to the film. Perfectly understated in my opinion.
Old 03-11-09, 04:55 PM
Banned

I saw this last night as well. Very good film. Liked the cinematography quite a bit and the story with the two kids was very sweet and touching.
Old 03-11-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Got the DVD (nice lenticular cover/insert) and I can't wait to dig in. DVDTalk gave it a "DVD Collector Series" rating.
Old 03-11-09, 10:48 PM
Banned by request

My copy of the Blu-ray from Amazon got delayed. Luckily I saw this in the theater.
Old 03-12-09, 07:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Just saw this yesterday. I think it's my favorite film of 2008.
Old 03-12-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw this on rental and LOVED it, probably my favorite vampire movie. The ending in the pool was damn cool. Definitely gonna pick this up on Blu when Amazon gets them back in. I caught something that looked weird and I'm not sure about:

Spoiler:
After the part where Eli comes into Oskar's room uninvited and tells him "I kill because I have to. Imagine being me" (or something like that) and you see the alternating close-up shots of them, it looks like the middle shot of Eli looks like an older person and then it goes back to the younger her. It has the same blood running down the face, but it definitely didn't look like her in the other closeups. Maybe I'm crazy.

Also if you've seen the movie check out these cartoons someone drew up over at IMDB. Pretty damn funny! SPOILERS IN THE LINK

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/...nest/132363814
Old 03-12-09, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ianholm
Just saw this on rental and LOVED it, probably my favorite vampire movie. The ending in the pool was damn cool. Definitely gonna pick this up on Blu when Amazon gets them back in. I caught something that looked weird and I'm not sure about:

Spoiler:
After the part where Eli comes into Oskar's room uninvited and tells him "I kill because I have to. Imagine being me" (or something like that) and you see the alternating close-up shots of them, it looks like the middle shot of Eli looks like an older person and then it goes back to the younger her. It has the same blood running down the face, but it definitely didn't look like her in the other closeups. Maybe I'm crazy.
In response to your spoiler:

Spoiler:
I believe the shot was to show Oskar (as well as the viewer) that Eli isn't exactly 12 anymore and that (s)he is actually much older than that. That's what I got out of it, anyway.

I love the fact that there so many things based on just a quick cut or shot that we [the viewers] must intrepret for ourselves. Well, unless you're super-curious (like me) and have to run to wiki or IMDB for verification.

In my opinion, that's what American horror films do wrong: too much expository showing and not enough vague hinting.

Last edited by aJOHNymous; 03-12-09 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-12-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Posted my mini-review on the DVD review. But again, in short, great great film. Not actually scary. But atmospheric and creepy. And even touching.

Question.....who was that guy who just showed up at the boy's dad's house? When he was visiting. And the two men starting doing shots.
Old 03-12-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That is, ostensibly, the dad's "friend"...
Old 03-12-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My copy of the Blu-ray from Amazon got delayed. Luckily I saw this in the theater.
Damn it. I just ordered it to have it and didn't have plans to see it right away but now that it's delayed I really want to.
Old 03-12-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jpoppe

Spoiler:
I believe the shot was to show Oskar (as well as the viewer) that Eli isn't exactly 12 anymore and that (s)he is actually much older than that. That's what I got out of it, anyway.
Ah, that sounds about right and it should've been obvious. Sometimes I guess I do need things spelled out for me
Old 03-12-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got my BluRay from Amazon yesterday and watched it last night. Have been waiting for months to see it, since it never played theatrically anywhere close to me. It was definitely worth the wait. The Wrestler has been officially supplanted as my #1 movie of 2008. This instantly joins the list of all-time great vampire movies.
Old 03-12-09, 02:36 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by The Bus
That is, ostensibly, the dad's "friend"...
Presumably the "friend" who is the reason for the mom and dad splitting up.
Old 03-12-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpoppe

[spoiler]
I love the fact that there so many things based on just a quick cut or shot that we [the viewers] must intrepret for ourselves. Well, unless you're super-curious (like me) and have to run to wiki or IMDB for verification.

In my opinion, that's what American horror films do wrong: too much expository showing and not enough vague hinting.
This is very true.

Spoiler:
For example, I love how the pool climax scene was done. We get the underwater camera view and the muffled sounds of Oskar being held under water. All of a sudden I see splashes and the kicking legs and I'm like what the hell, and a few seconds later it becomes obvious. On my second viewing I listened to the muffled sounds and you can barely make out the window breaking and screams through the water that I totally missed the first time around. I loved it. It was disturbing enough the way presented and you can imagine yourself what was going on up there.
Old 03-12-09, 04:02 PM

Presumably the "friend" who is the reason for the mom and dad splitting up.
Director's comments regarding this issue:

Spoiler:

I can't find the interview but I am almost positive I read somewhere that the director had said he couldn't understand why viewers would assume the father was gay. He is merely an alcoholic and that is probably what broke up the marriage and why Oskar does not live with him. The "friend" is simply that--a friend (aka drinking buddy).

edit:

Here's the link

Is there a back story for the boy and his father's relationship? We never seem to get into their relationship and understand it?

Alfredson: Yes. This came as a surprise to me, but in several screenings people have asked me if the father was a homosexual.

Right. I didn't want to say that, but it does appear like that.

Alfredson: Okay. It never entered my mind, but I think that's a cultural difference between the USA and Sweden. In Sweden we do come over to each other without –

I understand.

Alfredson: So that's a big difference, and if you live in the countryside people will walk over to each other and have a glass of vodka or whiskey or whatever. So that's not a big thing for Swedes. But it was a surprise to me that people though the was a homosexual. His father is an alcoholic and uses the alcohol before his son every time it's attempted. So that's the tragic back story and this is also a portrait of the author's own father who drank himself to death some years ago. It's a very autobiographical story.

Last edited by aJOHNymous; 03-12-09 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags just in case

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.