Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

I took my (then) girlfriend to see it. She agreed to see it again in theaters and I took my sister (a HS student and Twilight fan) and she liked it too.
Old 03-16-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I was also going to say The Lost Boys, Fright Night, and From Dusk Till Dawn were up there, but I was afraid I'd be torn apart. Still, they're completely different movies. All of which I love.
If I had to give my top 5 vamp flicks, they'd be (in no order):

- Fright Night
- The Lost Boys
- Near Dark
- Let the Right One In
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (although this one is subject to change)
Old 03-16-09, 08:51 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Absolutely. Near Dark is one of the most underrated vampire films ever. This one joins it in my top 5, easily.
Agreed on both counts. Just caught Let the Right One In this weekend and loved it.
Old 03-17-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I watched it again last night after having seen it in theaters last year. Definitely such a fantastic film, and being a vampire flick only adds to it's cool. This has to be the most well-shot film on 2008. I love the cinematography. It looks awesome on BD and the sound is equally impressive.
I agree. It was just amazing all around. The way the pool finale scene was shot was really cool. No jarring music cues, no fancy camera tricks or edits. My favorite shot is when he's getting pulled out of the pool and Oskar opens his eyes and it's out of focus at first and then it sharpens up. Awesome.

"I can help you." Indeed
Old 03-17-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, got my DVD yesterday and man, are some lenticular covers ever stupid.
Old 03-18-09, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone that got the Blu-ray, did anyone else's copy default to english dubbing? The movie started up without subtitles and in english for me.
Old 03-18-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the English dub is the default on the Blu-ray, just like the DVD was. Unfortunate, since a lot of first-time viewers will watch this with crap dub without even knowing about the Swedish track.
Old 03-18-09, 08:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

I listened to the English dub for maybe two minutes before my ears started to bleed.
Old 03-18-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
For anyone that got the Blu-ray, did anyone else's copy default to english dubbing? The movie started up without subtitles and in english for me.
It was ridiculous. I kept saying I thought this was in Swedish! Then I decided since the first lines of the film (in the dub anyway, don't know about in Swedish) are kind of a homage to an American film so I thought they were supposed to be in English. It wasn't until they got in the school that I easily figured out it was just another atrocious dub.
Old 03-18-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I listened to the English dub for maybe two minutes before my ears started to bleed.
Those vampires are clever!
Old 03-18-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Watched it last night. Great little film despite a couple of iffy CGI scenes and bland adult characters. The two child actors were brilliant and really sold the relationship/coming-of-age story and the deliberate slow-burning pace and the cinematography were almost hypnotic.

I noticed 3 english subtitle tracks. The usual english and english for hearing impaired, but what the heck is narrative english? I was too lazy to check.
Old 03-18-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, the default settings are a little weird. You have to change the audio to Swedish and then change the subs from English Narrative to English. I don't know why they wouldn't set the default to how anyone buying the BD saw it in theaters.
Old 03-18-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I noticed 3 english subtitle tracks. The usual english and english for hearing impaired, but what the heck is narrative english? I was too lazy to check.
The English narrative subtitle track is used with the atrocious English dub track, where it will only subtitle things like the Swedish signs and newspaper articles. For instance it will pop up on the exterior shot of the poolhouse with the big "BAD" sign over the doorway Guess that means bathhouse in Swedish. The subtitle says POOL.
Old 03-18-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just saw this after much anticipation. Have to let it simmer a little, because at the moment it doesn't feel as "good" as I hoped it to be. But I think it's a keeper. The kids were great in the film - no doubt about it.

Also, just wanted to say I found Near Dark almost unbearable to watch. I tried to see it for the first time about 5 years ago when Anchor Bay(?) had the special edition out. Maybe it's one of those films which you have to have seen when it came out to appreciate these days.
Old 03-18-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

Also, just wanted to say I found Near Dark almost unbearable to watch. I tried to see it for the first time about 5 years ago when Anchor Bay(?) had the special edition out. Maybe it's one of those films which you have to have seen when it came out to appreciate these days.
No, but, sort of like Let the Right One In, it's a vampire film that deviates from the norm, so those going into it expecting one thing are probably going to be disappointed.

You should really try to rewatch Near Dark again knowing it doesn't adhere to it's traditional sub-genre trappings. It's awesome.
Old 03-18-09, 05:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Near Dark was nowhere near as good as Martin.
Old 03-18-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Martin is another exceptional outside-the-box vampire flick, but I still prefer Near Dark, if only by a **** hair.
Old 03-18-09, 05:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer Martin because it's more subjective and subtle. Near Dark is fun, but I wouldn't call it great.
Old 03-19-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watched this earlier this evening. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm too tired to comment any further right now, sadly.
Old 03-19-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Near Dark was nowhere near as good as Martin.
Old 03-19-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joefrog91
Just watched this on BD this afternoon. Before I had a discussion with a friend of mine about the "secret" of the film, I told him
Spoiler:
I thought the love story between Oskar and Eli reminded me of The Crying Game. The connection and intimacy between the two kids seemed the same as the connection between Stephen Rea and Jaye Davidson. Like others, I assumed the line "I'm not a girl" meant Eli was a vampire. I never would have guessed Eli's "father" was some pedophile.

I loved this movie. Check it out on Blu-ray if you get a chance.
Spoiler:
At first I thought he was a pedophile too, but after I saw Eli and Oskar go off together, I thought that instead he was actually a young boy once and him and Eli loved each other. She stayed the same age, but he grew old.
Old 03-20-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Finally saw this movie yesterday. It was decent but hardly the best horror movie ever made. Too much was predictable and far too slow at times.

Spoiler:
I wasn't surprised about Eli's true sex since they repeated the "I'm not really a girl" exchange too much to be subtle. And Oskar's reaction to first hearing "her" name added to my not being surprised. Also, "she" has a rather deep voice which "she" downplays when speaking to Oskar. (Of course, that's the age when boys sound like girls and girls sound like boys. )

As for the old man, if you pay attention, he's very jealouse of Oskar and is completely loyal to Eli. He loves Eli and felt that he was losing "her" to Oskar. That's why when "she" shoos him away during the morse code scene he looks very hurt. And also why he asks "her" not to see Oskar again.

The old man was just like Oskar at one point. So through Oskar you see how the relationship between Eli and the old man first began. And through the old man you see how the relationship with Eli and Oskar will end. Oskar will get old. Eli will find another young boy to be "her" caretaker.

Hardly the romantic movie critics have been calling it. It's really a tale of a manipulative person under the guise of an innocent child.

By the way, what was the deal with Oskar hitchhiking from his dad's place late at night and his mom (who never wanted him traveling far, especially at night) not reacting one bit? Also, maybe I missed it but, who was the guy that visited Oskar's dad before Oskar hitchhiked home? Oskar seems rather scared of him?

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-20-09 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-20-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My girl and I watched it last night, and other than a few "oh cool" parts, we were underwhelmed. I shouldn't have to read the book to know why she has a scar and who the "dad" really is.

It was nice to sit through once but I don't see me visiting this again. Honestly. I was hoping that the wife that got turned would start an outbreak that Eli would have to quell.

I'm glad its well liked here, but it didn't do anything for me.

As far as underrated vampire flicks go: Where's my widescreen version of Innocent Blood???!!! I love that movie.
Old 04-18-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Finally saw this movie yesterday. It was decent but hardly the best horror movie ever made. Too much was predictable and far too slow at times.

Spoiler:
I wasn't surprised about Eli's true sex since they repeated the "I'm not really a girl" exchange too much to be subtle. And Oskar's reaction to first hearing "her" name added to my not being surprised. Also, "she" has a rather deep voice which "she" downplays when speaking to Oskar. (Of course, that's the age when boys sound like girls and girls sound like boys. )

As for the old man, if you pay attention, he's very jealouse of Oskar and is completely loyal to Eli. He loves Eli and felt that he was losing "her" to Oskar. That's why when "she" shoos him away during the morse code scene he looks very hurt. And also why he asks "her" not to see Oskar again.

The old man was just like Oskar at one point. So through Oskar you see how the relationship between Eli and the old man first began. And through the old man you see how the relationship with Eli and Oskar will end. Oskar will get old. Eli will find another young boy to be "her" caretaker.

Hardly the romantic movie critics have been calling it. It's really a tale of a manipulative person under the guise of an innocent child.

By the way, what was the deal with Oskar hitchhiking from his dad's place late at night and his mom (who never wanted him traveling far, especially at night) not reacting one bit? Also, maybe I missed it but, who was the guy that visited Oskar's dad before Oskar hitchhiked home? Oskar seems rather scared of him?
Just saw it and agree. Hyped a bit way to much here. Not romantic. Disturbing. Full of plot holes too.

Last edited by mmconhea; 04-18-09 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
My girl and I watched it last night, and other than a few "oh cool" parts, we were underwhelmed. I shouldn't have to read the book to know why she has a scar and who the "dad" really is.
I saw this last night for the first time. I'm not a big horror/vampire fan, but enjoyed the movie. I don't need things to be spelled out all the way. I loved how some shots had dialogue going on behind the camera or how some shots were extended and still. That's way more creepy than showing every single thing going on. Anyway, I suggest you go nowhere near "Mullholland Drive".